Another bloody flag thread

Guest kaisherz

Easy now. I can have a slash 15 minutes before a band starts but if the seals be broken and Ive had more than 4, Im not getting through another full hour without needing another. An affliction of age sadly :P:P:D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see performer's faces on the screens even if you can't see them on stage. Unless the flags block the screens.

I think people who obsess about losing/finding their mates really need to hang out in the Kidz field, where they run an excellent lost and found service, and they will look after you until your mummy comes to get you.

ah, the broken seal, the bane of the drinker. :P i too suffer from the 4+ broken seal issue. i simply go for a piss and hope to find my mates (if its dark, if its light i'll find them) and if i dont, what the hell, ill watch the gig without them - they werent the big draw in the 1st palce. what i dont do is ask my mate to erect a 40ft pole with a 8x4 rag with 'i love your mums muff' on it, simply so i can find them again.

Maybe we can add one of Mr.Peel's pet hates i.e. "fat bird on boyfriends shoulders" to the banned list as well :P Even gettin' 'em out for the lads doesn't always compensate for staring at an @rse the size of a small country instead of the stage for large parts of a gig ! Oh yeah, and just to be quite clear here, not meant to be in any way sexist or discriminatory - I doubt anyone particularly wants to be faced with anyone else's @rse at a gig, be it large or small, male, female or even Martian for that matter when trying to enjoy a band doing their stuff :P

Maybe we can add one of Mr.Peel's pet hates i.e. "fat bird on boyfriends shoulders" to the banned list as well :P Even gettin' 'em out for the lads doesn't always compensate for staring at an @rse the size of a small country instead of the stage for large parts of a gig ! Oh yeah, and just to be quite clear here, not meant to be in any way sexist or discriminatory - I doubt anyone particularly wants to be faced with anyone else's @rse at a gig, be it large or small, male, female or even Martian for that matter when trying to enjoy a band doing their stuff :P

Not very difficult...

you know those BIG SCREENS that everyne looks at for info throughout the duration of the weekend...

one message...

Please do not bring/use flags in the arena.

There!

Easy!

Wasnt difficult was it?

100,000 people will spot a flag up pretty easily and the righteous ones will self police probably/hopefully.

If it doesnt work... again...easy...get a GFL bod to go on stage and politely ask for flags to come down.

The same should go for the camping chairs too...but that is yet another repetitve thread innit? :P

Edited by Pinhead

Of course it will be easy for Glasto to ban flags, just like the following are, I've always understood, banned also:-

Unofficial sellers - of alcohol, ciggies, wax flares etc

Drugs

Fireworks

Chinese flying lanterns

Burning plastic

Glass

Sound systems

Simples!!!!!!!

Tugger 2k

I can't quote you because of the java script errors at present but I think the reason the flag thing is different at the big G stages is the sheer scale of the thing. I don't think any other festival has a stage on that scale and as you say - smaller stages around the site do not suffer for not having so many flags.

Even old Glastonbury was different because I was there for some of the biggest gigs and it was never packed all the way up the hill like it is now. You used to get a crowd at the front and then people sitting around campfires all the way up the hill. The vibe wasn't comparable on any level.

You are of course right to say we don't take flags to indoor gigs and that's why that is where I go to "connect" with a band or artist. Glastonbury for me is more about the people and the overall spectacle, not just the bands.

tbh - for me it's not so much a "we must have flags or the atmosphere will be ruined", it's just a "I wish people would chill a bit more and take Glastonbury as it comes". IT isn't like anywhere else and that's the way i like it.

Hi Neil!

I think it's just because I'm not supposed to be on here from work! It's fine at home! Sometimes i think I'll wait til I get home to respond to someone, but then the moment has just gone!

Theres no doubt about it, flags were a damn nuisance at this years Glastonbury, however I just hate the word 'ban' being used as it conjurs up tin pot little councils banning hanging baskets and plant pots. What is likely to happen if flags were banned, would they employ an army of little jobsworths to go into the crowd and snatch flags away, they couldnt do it at the entry as the poles (fishing rods) and flags could be easliy hidden away, and a customs style intrusive search at the gates would make even bigger queues trying to get in, and would piss people off immensly, and think of what other contraband items could be found and confiscated.

All this is totally against the Glasto ethos, and its not what the festivals all about, and what makes it special from those other generic festivals like Reading/Leeds/V/IOW.

TBH I think the trend for flags will die a natural death as people realise they are spoiling the views, even for the flag bearers. May be wrong but thats how i see things happening.

Edited by crimsonking

I suspect the BBC puts a fair amount of cash Glasto's way and if they want decent pictures for their coverage, it's not unreasonable they might want some control over the number of flags to be exercised - the alternative being that we the punters make up for the shortfall in income through the price of the ticket/prices on site.

I don't like the number of flags at Glastonbury but surely we don't need someone "in authority" to impose some sort of petty rule banning them. There are enough rules in day-to-day life without having other ones to worry about at a festival.

We're all adults - if someone does something that's anti-social and pissing you off make them aware of it (in a friendly way). They might just take note.

I don't like the number of flags at Glastonbury but surely we don't need someone "in authority" to impose some sort of petty rule banning them. There are enough rules in day-to-day life without having other ones to worry about at a festival.

We're all adults - if someone does something that's anti-social and pissing you off make them aware of it (in a friendly way). They might just take note.

For example, a certain drinks company gave away many hundreds of flags to festival goers earlier this summer, and they're bound to start being seen on poles in festival crowds sooner or later.

If such an occurence is so potent commercially that they want to stop it then it's worth doing it deliberately as well.

here you are son - a ticket for glasto/reading but I want to see this flag on TV right!

(and release a few of these WKD beach balls into the crowd while you're at it)

The Times had a big old article about this issue on page 4 today...and shock horror...it got the name of one of the Glasto traditions wholly wrong!!!

PIGEON ON A POLE???? WTF????? Its a stick goddammit!!! :P:P

Honestly! Terrible reporting! It highlighted the I Love Sausages flag too...what WAS that all about?

Pretty difficult at glasto now - it's a whole curtain of flags effecting people way back so you'd have your work cut out, not to mention the impenetrable D. On the other hand people may feel more empowered to try if there's some official request from the organisors.