'Libertines will play festivals in 2010'

Guest hearing_aid

http://www.nme.com/news/pete-doherty/46751

Ok, so you have to take anything he says with a pinch of salt, but unless Carl Barat gets some other major career going I can see it happening.

So headliner for Reading and Leeds festival potentially? Would have thought Readling/Leeds would be the festival they would play over any other, and I'm sure the festival would love to get them. Maybe them with The Strokes under them or something like that.

What would people think?

http://www.nme.com/news/pete-doherty/46751

Ok, so you have to take anything he says with a pinch of salt, but unless Carl Barat gets some other major career going I can see it happening.

So headliner for Reading and Leeds festival potentially? Would have thought Readling/Leeds would be the festival they would play over any other, and I'm sure the festival would love to get them. Maybe them with The Strokes under them or something like that.

What would people think?

I liked the Libertines *pauses to let this sink in* but I'm not convinced this reunion is a good idea, I can't see them being as good as they were before on record, and I don't see any reason for them to be headliner material other than that twat Doherty being a tabloid celebrity. I thought DPTs and Babyshambles were both dreadful, and suspect this reunion will turn into some horrid mash-up of the two, rather than picking up where they left off.

if they do get them on the bill I hope they get a replacement ready for when they pull out!

personally I think they're alright on record but have never enjoyed them live. I don't think I'll be doing all 3 days next year anyway but if they were headlining 1 of them it wouldn't be the one I'd be at.

I liked the Libertines *pauses to let this sink in* but I'm not convinced this reunion is a good idea, I can't see them being as good as they were before on record, and I don't see any reason for them to be headliner material other than that twat Doherty being a tabloid celebrity. I thought DPTs and Babyshambles were both dreadful, and suspect this reunion will turn into some horrid mash-up of the two, rather than picking up where they left off.

I certainly think there would be a massive hype if they reformed, especially in the absent of any new 'Indie' bands being hyped up or anything like that. I think there would be a huge audience for them now that never got to seem them when they were around, as they were pretty much dead before the current 'Indie' thing took off.

If they reformed they wouldnt make it to Leeds, they would have fallen out and PD will be dead/in prision by next august anyway

The terrible thing is the only thing they can now off the Libertines is the headlining spot because of what they offered this year.

Personally i dont think they deserve it one bit but hey

I think they are definetly big enough to headline. Basically started up british indie music again. Doherty has said that they will be doing it just for the pay day which is totaly derogatory to what they started playing music for. Think these would be the biggest call for day tickets as Libertines fans are some of the most dedicated around and would flock there.

I like the Libertines but they arent one of my fav bands and think Doherty is waisting whatever talent he may have by being a smack head and begging for fags off the street now. If they dont headline now I will be surprised and dont think there any bands that would fit above them that are as big a draw as a reunited Libertines. Wouldnt be surprised if they do V festival thought as they are known for having a UK exsclusive every year and would do anything to get this off Reading. Being a more commercial festival aswell i think the added press would be worth it for them.

niknik

The libertines are ok in my opinion, the type of band I would watch if nothing else was on. I think its obvious whether you like them or not that they would headline the festival. The hype behind a reunion would be massive with the music press, radio and tabloids all over them. If people think blink 182 would headline then surely libertines are in the same bracket. They were probably a similar level (if not more popular) thank blink 182 when they split, have probably picked up more fans than blink since they split, when they split their side projects did better than blink and the personalities get far more covergae. This is not a criticism of blink but I think its a valid comparison as they are bands of similar sizes who split up at similar times.

Whether hype and image should be a factor in place on the bill is another argument but nobody on here is naive enough to think they dont play a role in mainstream festivals.