Food at Glasto 2009

Guest Hotfoxy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent ages (well, some minutes) looking for Garlic Kitchen on Thursday morning.

On finally realising it weren't there any more, tried a bacon/egg/sausage bagette thing with a cuppa for £5.50.... somewhere on that bit between where Leftfield used to be and the cake stall.

I enjoyed it so much (and it stopped me eating for hours rather than minutes) that I went back regularly, the price even dropped to a fiver by Friday.

Other meals of note included a superb Goan fish curry as mentioned above, curried goat was as good as ever in Jazz World and I still love everything they serve at the Philipino place.

Yes I did have a pie/mash/peas/gravy meal and it was perfect for my needs at the time, ie bloody hungry.

I only had noodles once and was VERY unsatisfied (pie meal was only seconds later)

Loads of food looked great - but holy crap, how much was it? Even the ice creams - 5 quid for two Feasts! Bloody stupid.

Best deal was the Children's World cafe by the bug museum, we got 3 plates of sausage beans and chips plus cans of drink for 12 quid.

I would have loved to have sampled a lot more of it, but it was very expensive, £3.50 for a bacon roll? What kind of pigs are they using?

Lynne and I treated ourselves to a proper sit down dinner in the restaurant place in the middle of the market (Malinkey's I think it was called) and it was superb. For £35 we got two delicious mains (chicken in soy and ginger, and lamb casserole) a decent cheese board and a lovely chilled bottle of wine. Great stuff :lol:

Good Thai Dins big plate thing for £7 was a great deal too IMHO.

The North African stall in the corner of Jazzworld was superb, we went there twice! Also HurlyBurly's cafe in the circus field did the most awesome veggie breakfast, with gorgeous veggie sausage, beans, leeky scrambled egg, potato, roast tomatoes and lovely homemade soda bread.

Still lamenting the demise of Nutters though, and gutted to see the Garlic Kitchen missing. Hope it returns next year. I didn't think the food had increased in price at all and there are some bargains to be had if you look about.

The GROWLER!! Chinky spring rolls when you're mashed at 4am. I had a wicked jerk chicken rice and peas as well, oh and le grand bouffe...

Yum glasto food.

I was gonna get a Jack Daniels crepe which sounds amazing but never got round to it, same for the strawberry cider.

Most of the food was obviously overpriced but there were some reasonably decent deals considering it was a festival, such as a £5 pizza deal and £3 sausage and chips.

My mate got the giant yorkshire pudding and didn't eat most of it lol.

I ate pretty well, most of it was great. Looking back though I didn’t eat that much, think my belly was always full with cider!

Weds: Pieminister 10/10

Thurs: Wedges Stall (in-between pyramid and other stage) 8/10

Pieminister 5/10 (it was burnt =/)

Fri: Humous Chicken Kebab (in-between pyramid and other stage) 9/10

Sat: North African (near Jazz World) 10/10

Sun: Welsh Oggie 6/10

Mon: Veggi Thi Breakfast near park stage 7/10

The doner kebab stall between Pyramid and Other stage wasn't particularly great (too dry guys) but you did get a MASSIVE portion from them. And charging 50p extra for chili sauce was NOT cool.

Places charging £1 for a spoonful of gravy were pretty criminal too.

Had a plate of what was billed as chicken plus rice plus chorizo but it was nearly all rice, a little bit of chicken, and no chorizo at all - felt very ripped off by that lot.

Best 2 on site - and both next to each other in Jazz area - North African/Souk place and Goan Fish Curry

Close runner up - Pieminister

Worst place on site - was tired on Friday night and walking back from Doves to campsite stopped at 'Gourmet Burger' ..... definately not 'Gourmet', can I report them to trading standards / sue them for misdescription?

Was also pleased with the size of the Nachos at the Mexican place in Park.

Sorely missed award - the Garlic place, from last year, searched all weekend for it.

i went to the Voted The Best Hog Roast in the UK stall twice, as I did last year, because it's just SO FUKCING AMAZING! I'm gonna be craving it for the next 360-odd days too.

it was the one in the market area, between the bandstand and where Garlic Kitchen (RIP) used to be.

Also great were the chips with chicken curry sauce from opposite the cider bus, and the goan fish curry (the one with coconut in) from Jazz/World.

OMG and Le Supreme from La Grand Bouffe was a bit special too.