Most Talented musicians this year at R/L

Guest HarryReddick

While looking through the archives for last year's festival I came across the thread titled 'Most talented musician at R/L'.

So, simple really, who do you think is the most talented musician at the festival this year? This isn't to say which is the best band, or who has the best sound, but actually has the best voice/ is the most skilled at an instrument etc etc.

A few of my nominees would be Mike Patton of Faith No More - fantastic vocal range, Thom Yorke of Radiohead - similarly, fantastic vocal range and creativity, Matt Tong of Bloc Party - fantastically talented drummer , and Liam Howlett of the Prodigy - unbelievably sharp musical writer, producer and creator.

So, who would you say has the most talent at this years festival?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While looking through the archives for last year's festival I came across the thread titled 'Most talented musician at R/L'.

So, simple really, who do you think is the most talented musician at the festival this year? This isn't to say which is the best band, or who has the best sound, but actually has the best voice/ is the most skilled at an instrument etc etc.

A few of my nominees would be Mike Patton of Faith No More - fantastic vocal range, Thom Yorke of Radiohead - similarly, fantastic vocal range and creativity, Matt Tong of Bloc Party - fantastically talented drummer , and Liam Howlett of the Prodigy - unbelievably sharp musical writer, producer and creator.

So, who would you say has the most talent at this years festival?

Simple.... The Prodigy.

They are the best in their genre and have been since they released Experience. They are something for England to be proud of in terms of music and their live shows are unreal. Every album has been strong and Music For The Jilted Generation is a classic. After years out they come back with an album like Invaders Must Die.. Brilliant band.

Mike Patton lol, he isn't the great singer he thinks he is, esspecialy these days. Above average but he thinks he's some opera star! Radiohead are easily the most talented musicians at the festival from what I am aware of. Matt Helders from Arctic Monkeys might just be the best drummer, Alex Turner best Lyracist,

I'm going with two options:

The entertaining performers option

Mike Patton [Faith No More] - vox/beatboxing

Lethal Bizzle - vox

Vincent Hidalgo [Mariachi El Bronx] - guitarrón

Jared Swilley [black Lips] - bass

Jesse F. Keeler [MSTRKRFT] - drum beats/electronics

The awesome supergroup option

Alex Turner [Arctic Monkeys] - vox, songwriting

Josh Homme [Eagles of Death Metal] - vox, guitar

Johnny Greenwood [Radiohead] - guitar/electronics/percussion/everything

Rhys Webb [The Horrors] - bass/keyboard

Matt Tong [bloc Party] - drums

This is always quite a tough question I think as often some people in samll bands will be hugely technically talented but always be in the background. Like session players. They are often a hell of a lot better then people in famous bands.

Having said that I would hae to agree people who hae said Radiohead, especailly Johhny Greenwood and Thom York. Tho don't think people should underestimate the rest of them, Colin Greenwood bass playing for Radiohead is f**king excellent; he doesn't do the w*nky shiity stuff like Flea from the RHCP but add so much to the songs.

Mike Patton and Thom Yorkee for vocals are both excellent.

I think Patrick Wolf is a pretty talented guy as well, maybe not techincally up there tho.

Lyricly I would say Thom Yorke again, though there is no one who really stands out as an amazing lyricist I would say at this festial, tho I'm doing this from memoery of who is palying and not looking at the actual line-up.

This is always quite a tough question I think as often some people in samll bands will be hugely technically talented but always be in the background. Like session players. They are often a hell of a lot better then people in famous bands.

Having said that I would hae to agree people who hae said Radiohead, especailly Johhny Greenwood and Thom York. Tho don't think people should underestimate the rest of them, Colin Greenwood bass playing for Radiohead is f**king excellent; he doesn't do the w*nky shiity stuff like Flea from the RHCP but add so much to the songs.

Mike Patton and Thom Yorkee for vocals are both excellent.

I think Patrick Wolf is a pretty talented guy as well, maybe not techincally up there tho.

Lyricly I would say Thom Yorke again, though there is no one who really stands out as an amazing lyricist I would say at this festial, tho I'm doing this from memoery of who is palying and not looking at the actual line-up.

Dallas Green (AOF) - guitar/vocals - some seem to have forgotten what a hero he is.

Russel Lissack (BP) - lead guitar - a lot of hate for Bloc Party this year but they're talented f**kers.

Jesse Lacey (BN) - vocals

Hunter (AFI) - bass - I grew out of AFI when I hit puberty, but this guy's a god.

Jeremiah Edmond (MO) - drums

Andy Hull (MO) helps Jesse Lacey write the songs :lol:

Dallas Green (AOF) - guitar/vocals - some seem to have forgotten what a hero he is.

Russel Lissack (BP) - lead guitar - a lot of hate for Bloc Party this year but they're talented f**kers.

Jesse Lacey (BN) - vocals

Hunter (AFI) - bass - I grew out of AFI when I hit puberty, but this guy's a god.

Jeremiah Edmond (MO) - drums

Andy Hull (MO) helps Jesse Lacey write the songs ;)

Simple.... The Prodigy.

They are the best in their genre and have been since they released Experience. They are something for England to be proud of in terms of music and their live shows are unreal. Every album has been strong and Music For The Jilted Generation is a classic. After years out they come back with an album like Invaders Must Die.. Brilliant band.

No. This thread is about good MUSICIANS. The only one in The Prodigy who has a clue what he's doing musically is Liam. Keith Flint just shouts and jumps a bit. That's not being a good musician, whether it creates a good atmosphere or not (I say not, but plenty say it does).

Radiohead. Not my favourite band on the bill (probably second to AM) but are great musicians, 'specially Jonny.

Arctic Monkeys play really tight and fast too, but have a long way to go.

There are alot of talented musicians this year but the one that stands out for me is Florence Welch- from florence and the machine.

although im not a massive fan , i believe that she has one of the best voices out there at the moment.

Other than that i think that Russell Lissack and Matt Tong- from bloc party are awesome guitarists and drummers