"live instrument" bands v electronic/dance music bands

Guest ukslim

i don't see why there has to be competition between the two. for a start, they're not mutually exclusive. many artists use both. for instance, my bon iver example which went unnoticed.

in my opinion you are (tony) being closed minded. if you think that you can't express yourself properly on an electronic instrument, in my opinion, you're not trying hard enough. i'm sure you don't want to, but another example i gave on the previous page, lucky dragons, an electronic artists who works with music technology experts to try to invent new instruments which are increasingly soulful. that is ingenius.

i think that is great what springsteen does. good on him. to be fair, he really isn't so much my thing, but i respect the man. i suspect however that if you asked him to do the same on a set of steel drums, for example, then it wouldn;t work so well.

different instruments are good for different purposes. in my opinion, you can't beat a sampler when creating lush melodies. but if you want to wail soulfully then, at present, a guitar is probably the way to go.

any instrument can get broken, that is a ridiculous argument.

i can't see what your problem with electronic music is. are you even reading what i'm saying because i think over the past page and a half i have made some very reasonable, interesting, justified and two-sided arguments.

please get back to me.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really good thread.

i totally get what you're saying about wanting a more expressive electronic instrument.

trust, me, we're all with you on this one.

its coming, slowly, but i don't think its going to be my brain child unfortunately. lets face it, a guitar is just so intuitive that you'll be hard pushed to find anything better for, say, blues. but it'll happen one day.

also, stop saying chemical brothers, thats not proper live electronic music. think animal collective.

i saw eric clapton last night. now there is a man who can express himself through music.

I'm at work at the mo don't have time to scroll through eight pages so this may have been discussed.

Was just wondering if everyone has seen the photo of Justice playing live which was stuck up on an official website of some sort - then people started pointing out that one of the pieces of equipment one of them was 'playing' clearly had no power source plugged in the back and no lights illuminated on!

www.prefixmag.com/news/controversy-over-justice-photo-claims-band-just-mi/23170

I find that, although I can understand the arguments in favour of acoustic instruments, very few pop/rock performers these days bother to learn them to a level that fully realises the potential, because you don't need to be that proficient for it to sound any good. Where as, with electronic music, actual talent is a lot more evident.

I'm at work at the mo don't have time to scroll through eight pages so this may have been discussed.

Was just wondering if everyone has seen the photo of Justice playing live which was stuck up on an official website of some sort - then people started pointing out that one of the pieces of equipment one of them was 'playing' clearly had no power source plugged in the back and no lights illuminated on!

www.prefixmag.com/news/controversy-over-justice-photo-claims-band-just-mi/23170

I find that, although I can understand the arguments in favour of acoustic instruments, very few pop/rock performers these days bother to learn them to a level that fully realises the potential, because you don't need to be that proficient for it to sound any good. Where as, with electronic music, actual talent is a lot more evident.

Ive skimmed over most of this thread... Interesting stuff, so much so ive registered to write here :ph34r:

Electronic music seems to be getting ripped to pieces here. But I think people are confusing some things about it. Firstly there is a different between a DJ and Producer. Say The Prodge and DJ Yoda. Thats different.

On the point of 'oh you could just whack on a CD' this is not true. Howlett produced the latest album to be played live. Its mind blowing live. I listened to the CD once and chucked it. Its rubbish to listen to- because it isnt just about the music. Its the atmosphere the sound system and the live manipulation.

Certain producers may just press play. That is no different to bands miming is it? Thats an entirely different issue altogether. Which is stupid as at least bands can pose with their equipment looking cool.

I think the whole issue is moot and completely down to personnel opinion to be honest, and maybe a clash of understandings maybe? For example I have architecture student housemates, one only uses his Mac to produce building designs using complex software. The other physically draws out projects. Both end up with the same product, but by a different method using different skills. To say one is less talented because he is not physically drawing stuff is ridiculous. :P

Edited by Clean Shirt

What I've suggested is that it's less interesting to watch a person operating a sequencer, than it is to watch a person playing an instrument (be it electronic or not). And twiddling knobs to change the timbre isn't enough to make it interesting to watch.

What I've suggested is that it's less interesting to watch a person operating a sequencer, than it is to watch a person playing an instrument (be it electronic or not). And twiddling knobs to change the timbre isn't enough to make it interesting to watch.