Wine

Guest Rufus Gwertigan

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread!

Had a couple of world class bottles at the weekend. Not really expensive either.

Munus from Bardolino in Italy and Castillo de Luzón, seriously tasty little Spanish number. Both ace. Wish I'd bought more!!

Dunno where you can get them in the UK though.

Im sure Wooderson will get wind of this thread and weigh in (and rightly so) with his appreciation for Chateau Musar from Lebanon. The 97 vintage is quite stunning, if you can find it.

I invested in a wine cabinet a coupla years ago, that holds about a fair few bottles. I have them shelved in order of quaffage, with my weekly wines at the top and my 'keepers' down the bottom. The middle shelves store the special occasions wine.

I do like my Rioja. I currently have a pair of '96 Gran Reservas that are lined up for next weekend.

I tend to buy 4-6 a week, one of them always being a good 'expensive' wine. That goes near the bottom shelf.

As far as whites go, I reckon a good Chablis takes a lot of beating. Other faves of mine are the Sancerre, and Macon Village - the latter being a real treat because the suprmarkets regularly have it on offer, and its a f**king brilliant slurp.

Just got back from Florence which is Chianti country, the classicos are totally lush and we went back to one place 'Note de Vino' every night, they had huge hams and things hanging from the ceiling and wall-to-wall wine..every glass came accompanied by bruchetta covered in garlic oil and balsamic creme (thickened and sweetened by grape must)...for a wine experience you have to try it!!

Back home I like the big reds like a Barolo if it late or if its summer a nice seriously cold rose is nice...

But we mainly drink the homebrew, I make about 40gallon a year of blackberry, Bilberry, Apricot, plum, hawthorne, rowan, elder etc etc...if you find me at a festie, thats what I will have with me, mixed with tonic to bring the % down and make it a session drink..

I'm rubbish with wine. I like it, don't get me wrong, but as a smoker and someone who eats a lot of rich food, I can't tell the difference between a really expensive "good" wine and cheapo plonko. Seriously - I've drunk Petrus before now and couldn't understand why anyone would pay fifty times more for it. Utterly beyond me.

My favourite wine is the red my Uncle makes in his vineyard.

Red wine is my tipple of choice, but, unlike most people here, I prefer Australian, South African and South American wines to European. I think many French wines in particular are over priced and that people just pay for the snob value - there are exceptions of course (can't argue with the Chateauneuf- du Pape). But you can buy a very decent Shiraz/ Cabernet/ Merlot for under a fiver; French wine at that price is generally undrinkable.

My personal favourite is a little more expensive (£9.99 from Tesco), this Rawnsley Estate Cabernet Merlot from South Australia. If you've not tried it, I would give it a go - Tesco do have it on offer occasionally too.

9310415011111_200.jpg