Should Reading/Leeds always have a certain amount of Rock/Heavy music?

Guest hearing_aid

Is Reading in the wrong to have (potentially based on rumours and not much else...) less Rock/Metal this year.

Obviously a lot of people seem to be annoyed that the festival seems to potentially be heading to have less Rock/Metal this year and to be missing the Heavier headliner. Though is this a bad move by reading?

I would say over the past few years there have been more rockier headliners than not. Rage Against The Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pearl Jam, Muse, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Pixies I would say are all on the heavier side of things, even if some of them such as the Foo's or The Chilli Peppers have a broader appeal. Thats 9 bands. Now the more 'Indie' bands; The Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, thats ony 3 bands.

Add in the fact that this year thier are two other festivals with a heavy based line up; Download and Sonisphere is it any wonder Reading is maybe going for other acts rather then trying to compete. Is this potentially a smart move from a 'business' point fo view.

I'm not going to Reading this year, think I decided a while ago Line Up wise Reading wasn't enough for me even though I always had an amazing time there, and cause I was able to do a number of other festivals the line up thing wasn't an as big a issue. Though this year my festival consumption is right down and am only planning on doing the ATP fans one so far. Thought I don't feel particular annoyed at Reading, its not totally catering for me so i'm going elsewhere.

For the people who prefer the heavier stuff do you feel let down or evern 'betrayed' by the festival itself, and what makes people want to go to reading more than say download or Sonisphere?

Just a quick edit to add i'm not just talking about this year, as the two poster pointed out below we no nothing about this years line up, but I am just talking about wha the festival should offer year on year. Does there always need to be a certain amount of certain 'genere's ever year.

Edited by hearing_aid

Maybe this should have waited till we actualy know the lineup! For all we know there could be more rock this year. As you say people who want just rock / metal are more likely to go to Download, Sonisphere etc, Reading is for people with who like more variety in the rock genre.

I'm all for a mix, but I feel that mix should start with the headliners. Personally I'd love to see Lostprophets, The Offspring, Blink 182, Megadeth, Judas Priest, System of a Down, NIN or anyone along those lines 2nd on the bill, but day ticket sales are a factor, and none of those would fit in as suitable sub headliners to the rumoured headliners as they dont fit the target audience for the headliner. Can you really see Radiohead and (eg) Slayer on the same bill?! unlikely (though slayer are shite these days so mayber its not all bad!)

I can't see them getting rid of the 'rock' day at L/R ever, if they do it becomes just another T/V/Oxegen/IOW type festival.

The 'rock' day has always been what sets L/R apart from them, in that it caters to a wider audience. Take that away and it's 3 days of indie and pop (main stage that is) which will drive a lot of the people who've been going for years away to other festivals that offer a broader range (European festivals).

I know some of the things I've said seem very generalised, so don't nit pick too much :ph34r: but I don't think L/R won't want to fall into that group of festivals, and there's definitely a lot of fans that don't want it to fall into that group.

This is only regarding the main stage of course, and I know there's plenty of variety on the other stages (when are we finally going to get separate lock up and dance stages?!), but the main stage is still the biggest, and draws the biggest bands, so let's hope they don't get rid of good 'ol 'rock' day <_<

I can't see them getting rid of the 'rock' day at L/R ever, if they do it becomes just another T/V/Oxegen/IOW type festival.

The 'rock' day has always been what sets L/R apart from them, in that it caters to a wider audience. Take that away and it's 3 days of indie and pop (main stage that is) which will drive a lot of the people who've been going for years away to other festivals that offer a broader range (European festivals).

I know some of the things I've said seem very generalised, so don't nit pick too much :ph34r: but I don't think L/R won't want to fall into that group of festivals, and there's definitely a lot of fans that don't want it to fall into that group.

This is only regarding the main stage of course, and I know there's plenty of variety on the other stages (when are we finally going to get separate lock up and dance stages?!), but the main stage is still the biggest, and draws the biggest bands, so let's hope they don't get rid of good 'ol 'rock' day :ph34r:

I don't think Leeds/Reading should have to have a certain amount of rock at all, its ridiculous how much people moan about it, last year was Rage, Metallica and the Killers, not everyone likes rock/metal (don't get me wrong, I love it), but most of the Leeds/Reading crowd is generally more indie than metal if you ask me. It's great to have a good mix, but it's also good to switch it up every year, if you don't think there's enough metal at Leeds/Reading, then the best thing to do rather than moan, would be to go to another festival.

With regards to headliners, I think they should just book whoever they can who'll sell the most tickets. This year it was KoL, Radiohead and Arctic's. I'd hate to see Reading do a Download and book someone like MCR or Lostprophets as a headliner just because there are no rock/metal bands big enough to fill the slot.

For the overall line up though, definitely. Reading for me has been so great because of it's diversity, and it'd be lost if there weren't heavier bands. It's far far too early to decide whether this year will lose out on that side of things though. We have 10 rumours, of which Enter Shikari and Rise Against are included.

For me the problem isn't a lack of heavy bands, it's a lack of genuine alternative stuff that isn't just part of the britpop-spinoff indie by numbers movement that has spawned 100's of sound-a-like LIbertines rip offs. We still get plenty of other stuff outside of that though, if you look close enough.

Diversity yes, which does include rock/metal. However I'd rather have hordes of music I like and none of it heavy than meet some sort of quote with the likes of Lostprophets, Slayer or Bullet for my Valentine.

I cant believe lost prophets have seen the error of their ways. When I think of bandwagon jumping bands they are the first one that comes to mind both in terms of sound and style. The onlt way they will release a heveier sounding album is if thats what comes into fashion which i think is unlikely. They are proably on the phone to mgmt asking for some advice for a new sound or is there a new bandwagon i havent noticed?

To give credit where its due, LostProphets did an amazing job of headlining Download last year and converted quite a few of my friends who shared a similar view to your own. Personally I like a band that doesnt take themselves too seriously... On that note Bowling for Soup headlining the lock-up with the Bloodhound Gang and Zebrahead beneath them would be quality!

I cant believe lost prophets have seen the error of their ways. When I think of bandwagon jumping bands they are the first one that comes to mind both in terms of sound and style. The onlt way they will release a heveier sounding album is if thats what comes into fashion which i think is unlikely. They are proably on the phone to mgmt asking for some advice for a new sound or is there a new bandwagon i havent noticed?

Getting back on topic, YES, Reading should always have heavier music included on the bill. It should also include lots of other genres too for that matter.

To the person who posted refering to everyone moaning and calling them "pussies".... get a frackin' grip! I've been going to Reading since 1997 specifically because of the versatility of the bill. I love my rock, metal and punk but have always chosen Reading over Download cos i love an eclectic mix of music in my summer festival.

I have fond memories of catching Jurassic 5 sharing the main stage with Rancid, Roots Manuva lower down the bill when the Foo's headlined (i think!), you just don't get this kind of diversity anywhere else.

Edited by Rancidpunk_76