First time at Glastonbury in 09

Guest Ashaz42

I haven't posted in here for a while but the excitement of getting tickets on Sunday has got me all, well, excited again!

I've only done the last two Glastonburys, so the memory of the first time is still pretty fresh. I'd only ever done Reading and WOMAD before, and while WOMAD has a similar kind of laid back atmosphere, it's fair to say that absolutely nothing prepared me for Glastonbury.

The size of the place will really hit you when you see the site as you approach it. It's immense (you get a great view from the top of the buses that run from the station, if you're coming in that way). Then the moment you walk through the gates you'll start seeing crazy random things that you'd never see anywhere else. I'm honestly not sure how to describe them - they're definitely best experienced for themselves!

Then there's the utter friendliness of everyone there, the random conversations you'll have by the cider bus, in the middle of a darkened campsite, and the weird sculptures that are everywhere. I've never got over how much effort everyone makes for 4-5 days in the middle of a field. I mean, some of the stuff in Trash City and Shangri La must take months and months to make and transport there.

It's magic. I still love Reading, because it's all about the music, and you can always catch the big bands you want to see (at Glastonbury it's not worth making a plan because you'll never stick to it). And I love Glastonbury because it's about much more than just the music. You could not see a single band over the course of the whole festival, and still have one of the best weekends of your life.

You'll love it!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are going to love it, i guarantee (not that its worth much :)) that you will have experienced nothing like it

When i read the title of this post i thought it was maybe Swinning a forum person that after all he had said was actually going :)

but yeah you are gonna love it, take good foot wear prob wellies is your best bet

You will be amazed, for Glasto is the ultimate.

My first year (2003, yes it was hot, no rain), will never be forgot.

Previous posters are spot on, you will be overwhelmed with the sheer size of this place. It will give you goose bumps!

Then sadly it will end and you will be on countdown until the next.

God damn those gap years!

Hello Runner, I've just noticed where you live. I was brought up in Farnborough and used to play for Frimley Cricket Club. Happy days: I still have a lot of friends in the area. Gawd bless the Blackwater Valleyites.

waaaayheeeey .... gawd bless 'em indeedy .... that's me too that is. If I say "fernhill" will you want to punch me :):)

Yeah, as the title says, I've only ever done Reading Festival before and I decided to go for Glastonbury this year, as Reading's gotten pretty rubbish compared to previous years. The only problem is, I know f'ck all about Glasto, only what I've seen online.

So, basically, I wanna know what's up with it, what's good, what's bad. How's it different to Reading? Better? Worse? What to expect? Your recommendations for the festival. Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Cheers for the replies guys, just have a few other questions if you don't mind.

I hear everybody talking about the great cider here. problem is, I don't like cider. Is there an alternative drink there? I.e. Beer?

Also, the different campsites, which is best, which is worst? What're they like. At Reading, each campsite is supposed to have it's own personality, is there anything like this at Glasto?

Cheers for the replies guys, just have a few other questions if you don't mind.

I hear everybody talking about the great cider here. problem is, I don't like cider. Is there an alternative drink there? I.e. Beer?

Also, the different campsites, which is best, which is worst? What're they like. At Reading, each campsite is supposed to have it's own personality, is there anything like this at Glasto?

Reading was my first festival, i thought it was amazing, then i went to Glastonbury.

Reading doesn't even compare, ive been the past 5 years, Reading was the one festival i had to go to every year, that festival is now Glastonbury, You'll understand when your there!

Glastonbury has to be experienced to be believed, it really has. It is the most amazing place on earth. You will meet the nicest, most randomest people in the world who would do anything for you. You'll make friends for life, and have the time of your life, and you dont even have to see one band all weekend to have an absolute ball!! I met my boyfriend at Glastonbury 2005 and we now live together and I moved away from my beloved Liverpool to live with him in Derbyshire, Glastonbury totally changed my life and i just love every second of it! I'll stop gushing now!!!