dj matt james

Good afternoon.

Just a quick new mix for you all - this is the kind of stuff I will be playing at the Ridge and Furrow this year - along with plenty of funk, disco and breaks.

https://hearthis.at/mattjames/the-early-shift/

apologies for the little hiccup around 32mins - my 5 month old daughter decided she wanted a go.

5 hours ago, dj matt james said:

Good afternoon.

Just a quick new mix for you all - this is the kind of stuff I will be playing at the Ridge and Furrow this year - along with plenty of funk, disco and breaks.

https://hearthis.at/mattjames/the-early-shift/

apologies for the little hiccup around 32mins - my 5 month old daughter decided she wanted a go.

Get yourself down on the clashfinder. :)

What breaks do you play? If you could do a early noughties breaks set in the Ridge & Furrow this year that would be spot on.

12 hours ago, Chipbarm said:

Get yourself down on the clashfinder. :)

What breaks do you play? If you could do a early noughties breaks set in the Ridge & Furrow this year that would be spot on.

its mainly old school breaks really mate - I tend to play the original breaks that have been sampled later on in life. Apache type stuff.

13 hours ago, Eks101 said:

Thanks.  Always thought of this as 'hardcore' - although I do have a terrible time understanding the differences in all the electronic sub genres.

Like the tracks, anyway.

I suppose Old Skool is a pointless moniker really, as it means different things to different people. People ask you to play old skool, but it could mean anything. I have turned up before now with a load of Italian house and rave classics, yet they wanted mid nineties handbag house when it came to it.

The two tunes I posted are from 1992. Would probably be the best year in regards to rave type tunes. It all seemed to fracture after that and split into all sorts of darker sub genres.

On 3/2/2017 at 11:23 AM, billum said:

Really enjoyed your set at the Theatre bar last year Matt, hopefully you can confirm soon when you'll be playing the R&F (and elsewhere??) so we can build it into our schedules! :)

Thank you - will do. Hopefully know a little more detail soon.

19 hours ago, Eks101 said:

Thanks.  Always thought of this as 'hardcore' - although I do have a terrible time understanding the differences in all the electronic sub genres.

Like the tracks, anyway.

To me old school breaks are the original funk, soul or disco tunes that were heavily sampled over the coming years. YouTube is blocked at work but if you check out funky drummer by James Brown, or Apache by the Michael Viner's incredible bongo band - these are both great examples of early breaks.