The Man Bun

Bisque

Dan the pirate man has long hair to the extreme!! (I'm only jealous).

I'd say shave it all off and then just never get it cut. Go with it.

Whilst I was pregnant I never got my hair cut and after I had Willow it took me three months to get to the hairdressers. It's amazing how it didn't look like crap yet they say you should have it cut every 6-8 weeks. I'm up for half yearly haircuts from now on, sod it.

Dan the pirate man has long hair to the extreme!! (I'm only jealous).

I'd say shave it all off and then just never get it cut. Go with it.

Whilst I was pregnant I never got my hair cut and after I had Willow it took me three months to get to the hairdressers. It's amazing how it didn't look like crap yet they say you should have it cut every 6-8 weeks. I'm up for half yearly haircuts from now on, sod it.

I recently had my very long hair cut in a bob, and am now growing it out.

I leave long gaps between hairdressing visits, grew my fringe and layers out, and can get away with fewer trips in between. it's usually if you have a style that involves varying length hair that causes it to look really bad.

I can't get my son into the hairdressers at all. he also has very long hair, and I'm also jealous :D

Edited by feral chile

I am happy to dish out shedloads of advice on how to grow allegedly ungrowable hair (mine, according to every hairdresser I ever consulted) to considerable lengths, but I'd need a bit more info on your starting point.

Is your hair thick and coarse, or fine and smooth? How long is it now? What are you aiming for? Have you had it permed of dyed in the last 12 months? Any split ends you can see?

Generally speaking, anyone can grow their hair (well, as long as you still got some, sorry), but the growing speed is genetically fixed. Most people's hair takes about 2 months to grow an inch. So if you have it cut every 2 months, it won't get much longer. Don't believe any hairdresser who tells you that your hair really needs to be cut every 2 months. Hair needs to be cut when it is damaged, as a rule of thumb, and the damage can be much reduced by treating it well. Some people have hair that can withstand all sorts of maltreatment, others don't. You should try to start with healthy hair, if you want to grow it.

Edited by midnight

For the past 5 years I have cut my hair once a year. About June get it all cut off for Summer then by dec\January I have thick air past my collor, sat on my shoulder nearly. I used to do similar with my beard.

I have stopped it this year and will get it cut more often. (the beard I have cut more regularly for a while)

Go to a turkish barber, ask them to cut it so you don't have to come back for 6 months or so and leave it to grow :P

I am currently on 3/4 month cycles of getting my hair cut atm but so it looks neat for work , I tend get it done fairly short on the back and sides when I do go in.

Is your hair thick and coarse, or fine and smooth? How long is it now? What are you aiming for? Have you had it permed of dyed in the last 12 months? Any split ends you can see?

I have an annoying "double crown" so my hair sticks up in the morning no matter how long it is.

My fringe meets the tip of my nose. I usually have a side sweep with three back & sides so have avoided a mullet so far.

My hair is thick, it grows out a lot of the sides making it look even thicker but it is very smooth & light to the touch.

Basically I want to look a bit like an 18 year old Jared Leto.

reg_634.leto.cm.111512.jpg

Almost looks like a young Alice Cooper in that picture! But I've looked up young Jared (Sweet! I had no idea, first film I ever noticed him in was Requiem for a Dream), doesn't look like it's miles away from what you describe.

All stick-out hair follows gravity eventually once it's long enough; how long it needs to be depends on how strong your hair is. If you have the problem every moning, it's probably got something to do with the position you sleep in, but that is hard to change.

In this cold weather fine smooth hair gets "static" and sticks out even more. Conditioner helps a bit (the type you can wash out after a few minutes, not the types that make it look all greasy). Really annoying thing is growing out the fringe, not much you can do but wait and eat properly (hair often suffers when people don't eat well or do crazy diets). Some people take vitamin supplements (B12), not sure that really makes a difference. Also, young Jared's nice hair is the result of expert blowdrying, he didn't look like this getting out of bed in the morning, it is styled to look natural. But lots of blow drying tends to damage hair. Best to let it air-dry for a while after a wash and only blow dry it into shape when it is still a bit damp.

It gets much easier when you get to the stage where you can tie it back a bit (don't use metal clips or bare elastic bands to do this, they damage fine hair). You can cut off small damaged bits yourself, or let a trusted friend do it, but I'd stay well clear of a hairdresser for a while - they always cut off much more than I ask them to, and then it takes months to grow out the set-back.

Good luck!

Edited by midnight

I also have very thick hair and a double crown. A hairdresser once likened to trying to cut horsehair!

It makes carrying off short cuts very difficult, plus it has a tendency to turn out at the cut bits, so anything other than one length hair can be problematic when you're growing it out, because the turning up emphasises any uneven bits. The double crown stops being an issue after a certain length, but I know what you mean about hair sticking right up.

With fringes, I find either grow right out if you want to avoid hairdressers, or just have a fringe trim, as this gives the illusion of a full haircut in lots of cases, because it's tidying up the part framing your face.

Edited by feral chile