Going on own maybe

Guest The 38 year old virgin

The guys I went with last year don't fancy it again, but I have the good wishes of the wife so I really fancy it. I know a couple of people(Facebook friends really) who are going but I am giving it more than a little consideration this year.

I know various threads have been written about this subject, but I wanted to throw it out again.

Is it easy logistically, do you feel like you're searching for fun? Do you get bored? Is it ok?

Can anyone who's properly been on their own all weekend- I'm not much of a mingler- give me some answers pls.

Cheers 38yov

I did it in 2009, was good. I had a couple of friends working there I was able to catch up with occasionally and made a few new ones who form part of an ever expanding group I see each time I go now. I spent my time doing exactly as I pleased, saw much less music than any festival I'd attended previously and fell back in love with Glastonbury having been away for nearly a decade.

I've been on my own a couple of times. The first time I camped by myself, last year I joined the Camp Ralph crowd on here, so I guess you could say the first time was 'properly on my own'.

I loved it. As Spindles has said, you can do exactly what you want, when you want. I was the opposite to Spindles though in that I saw more music than I've done in any of my other visits. I chatted to a few people, mainly when waiting for bands to come on and exchanged a fair few texts/phone calls with the Mrs and mates back home so was not lonely at any point. And neither was I bored at any point, as well as the most music, I probably saw more of the festival as a whole that I'd previously seen.

Last year with the Camp Ralph crew was mainly just a way of camping with like minded people and having someone to talk to in the morning if you wanted to. Some stuck together to watch bands/go places, others just had the odd chat and went their own way. Absolutley no pressue whatsoever to hang around. They were a great bunch and would recommend something similar.

I know you've said you're not much of a mingler but the eFests meets are worth a go, particularly of the Wednesday evening when there is not that much on around the site and you may feel alone.

I've been on my own a couple of times. The first time I camped by myself, last year I joined the Camp Ralph crowd on here, so I guess you could say the first time was 'properly on my own'.

I loved it. As Spindles has said, you can do exactly what you want, when you want. I was the opposite to Spindles though in that I saw more music than I've done in any of my other visits. I chatted to a few people, mainly when waiting for bands to come on and exchanged a fair few texts/phone calls with the Mrs and mates back home so was not lonely at any point. And neither was I bored at any point, as well as the most music, I probably saw more of the festival as a whole that I'd previously seen.

Last year with the Camp Ralph crew was mainly just a way of camping with like minded people and having someone to talk to in the morning if you wanted to. Some stuck together to watch bands/go places, others just had the odd chat and went their own way. Absolutley no pressue whatsoever to hang around. They were a great bunch and would recommend something similar.

I know you've said you're not much of a mingler but the eFests meets are worth a go, particularly of the Wednesday evening when there is not that much on around the site and you may feel alone.

That's ace mate. Really appreciate this. A great response. Will print this off and stick it near laptop Sunday to give me courage upon waking.

I done Glastonbury and Bestival by myself this year! Had a fantastic time at both, its really worth doing plus you can do what you want.

At Glasto i camped with some people from twitter who i have been chatting with for a few years now (Check out #twisto if you are on there, real friendly bunch) so it was nice having a base with some people to chat to/felt that bit more secure in the rent if you are in a group :). Also went to the efestivals meet and twisto meet, which is a good chance to mix with people who want to chat with fellow strangers :). Both are great fun and involve lots of drinking! So I guess glasto was less alone alone as such, but its good to have some pre aranaged company. (Plus I am not really one to randomly talk to strangers so it helped a lot.)

Bestival I camped by myself entirely and it was just as fine, guys camped next to me didn't speak English but I was barely there tbh. I did bump into a couple of people from twitter and here occasionally over the weekend which was nice.

It can get bit dauting/boring in between acts, but I tended just to wonder off and explore a bit inbetween them and the one time I did stay between acts at both was for Arcade Fire and I had a chat with a random guy in the crowd who was also by himself!

But overall? Its a great experience, and you can cater to exactly what you want to do rather than anyone elses fun and the only time I ever felt a bit awkward was going to see DJs or something where people tended to be standing around in their own groups :P

You will be amazed at how friendly people can be when you are on your own to! I think you just seem more approachable.

Edited by LondonTom

I went solo in 2009 also, friends didn't fancy it, but I wasn't going to miss out. It was ideal, I got there quite late on the Wednesday, found a spot to pitch tent up and someone gave me a beer to drink while I was doing that. Made friends with the guys camped next to me, saw a couple of bits with them over the weekend and otherwise did my own thing. Spent much more time in the green fields than I had before, including one afternoon doing not much more than lying on the grass drinking chai from the Lunched Out Lizzard cafe and watching the world go by. Thoroughly recommend it!