Honest review on WESTON PARK, Vfestival

apreston

This is a honest review for any first time festival goers.

So me plus a group of 11 went to V festival, Weston Park 2014. We arrived and parked in the north east car park at the time it was the only one open. We arrived at 5.30am after staying in a Travelodge hotel in Wolverhampton Central only £30 a room per night. We were in a cue till 6.30am and then camped. We originally picked to go in green campsite closer to the arena but were not allowed in there till 10am so ended up pitching in blue campsite (5 minute walk to the arena) and still party styled campsite but also decent if you want sleep.

Blue campsite was the nearest campsite to the north east car park. Only had 3 vans serving breakfast and normal burgers, chips ect. Toilets were cleaned every day but showers werent the best and wouldnt trust so just take loads of baby wipes and water.

Food;

- £6-£8 per meal, variety of things to get. Id suggest people to get noodles, all day breakfast and fish and chips was lovely.

- We didnt bring a stove or a bbq as it was our first time and we would suggest taking that with you its an absolute bonus.

Alcohol;

- NOT worth £4.80 per pint, a reasonable price would be £3.50

- People just sneaked alcohol in through pouches.

Music;

- Acts were all on at different times so you get to see everyone you want to which was really good

- Bad thing on the Saturday morning at start music too loud so could hear the artists sing.

- Likes of Justin Timberlake, Sam Smith, Fuse ODG, Tinie Tempah were amazing. They possibly need to liven up the Saturday night acts as didnt suit everyone. But the variety was good.

The staff that were working at the V festival were lovely and the stewards patrolling were very kind and lovely. The programme sellers do not get paid enough commission. £10 per programme is ridiculous. Needs to be lower

I loved my first festival experience and wouldnt go anywhere else but to v fest and blue camping. Stay over the night before get there early and get on it. We thought there would be massive cues and there wasnt but I wouldnt risk it.

I hope this helps. Any questions, just ask.

Great review, agree with most of it especially the Saturday night headliners comment. Two mid-tempo indie bands who peaked in the mid-2000's or two pretty much identical DJ sets and nothing else, what's that about. They could at least have extended the Comedy tent until the evening. Last year on the Saturday night they had a massive miserable indie band, or one of the biggest DJ's in the world, or a live dance band with well-known hits, or some live upbeat jazz-pop, not the most variety in the world but looks like Glastonbury compared to this year.

Only thing I'd disagree with is your insinuation that you need to stay close overnight to get a good camping spot. We left Birmingham at 11am and pitched our tents in a fairly quiet bit of Orange with no rush at 1:30pm, and were even able to take our time to choose from several available spaces. Just 90 seconds walk from the arena.

Edited by Zac Quinn

• 1 year later...

I have read your reviews of the V fest with great interest, having attended over 25 fests over the years I feel it only fair that I let you know what a seasoned 'fester' thinks of V. Simply put this is the worst festival I have ever attended. OK, here I go, vastly overpriced food and drink, too many security/police on site, bins not emptied, porta bogs disgusting, chavs and knobheads everywhere, poor sound quality from main stage, NO facility for disabled, same bands year in year out and a general atmosphere of aggression that seems ready to explode at any second (and certainly DID during the Ian Brown set). It appears that Mr Bransons V is nothing but an excersise in draining everyones pocket of every penny while ignoring the damage to the environment (filthy) and the customers enjoyment/satisfaction. This is MY point of view and I'm sure many will disagree but, until you have attended a true festival such as the Isle of Wight, then you cannot compare V as a 'quality festival'. p.s. I recently went to a one day music and beer festival in Gloucestershire which, surprisingly, was my top event of the last 2 years !! Hope the rain is warm for you all !! love n stuff. Grubby. XX

I have read your reviews of the V fest with great interest, having attended over 25 fests over the years I feel it only fair that I let you know what a seasoned 'fester' thinks of V. Simply put this is the worst festival I have ever attended. OK, here I go, vastly overpriced food and drink, too many security/police on site, bins not emptied, porta bogs disgusting, chavs and knobheads everywhere, poor sound quality from main stage, NO facility for disabled, same bands year in year out and a general atmosphere of aggression that seems ready to explode at any second (and certainly DID during the Ian Brown set). It appears that Mr Bransons V is nothing but an excersise in draining everyones pocket of every penny while ignoring the damage to the environment (filthy) and the customers enjoyment/satisfaction. This is MY point of view and I'm sure many will disagree but, until you have attended a true festival such as the Isle of Wight, then you cannot compare V as a 'quality festival'. p.s. I recently went to a one day music and beer festival in Gloucestershire which, surprisingly, was my top event of the last 2 years !! Hope the rain is warm for you all !! love n stuff. Grubby. XX

Ian brown? When was that?

I’ve been going to V at Weston for best part of 12 years, and its always been a very commercial operation. That’s no bad thing in many respects. The site is quite compact and easy to get between stages; is safe and accommodating to a range of ages and certainly in the early to mid-era of the festival had a range of music so you could spend the day watching indie acts; dance acts; new bands or older acts depending on your tastes. Camping was a bit noisy and rowdy, but for a group of people at a festival you get that anywhere. Over the years seen some really good performances.

However compared to festivals like Green Man; Latitude; Glastonbury and a range of smaller local festivals its always lacked that variety of music and other attractions, and generally has a more limited range of food and drink available. As an introduction to festivals, and with the right line up V was a decent weekend, although not a unique experience

However in recent years the line-up really has got repetitive and focuses more on the commercial radio market, than the broader range of acts it once had. For me in the last three years the range of food and market stalls has also declined, and security has reduced, leading to much rowdier camping areas and increased anti-social behaviour in the arena. Got to the stage I didn’t go in 2014, and unless I get a really cheap ticket won’t got this year. The value for money really isn’t there now. Part of this might be down to me getting older and not liking so many of the bands, but it does seem a shame the festival appears to be in a bit of decline, as reflected by the slow ticket sales in recent years.

Hope it turns around but wouldn’t surprise me if it stops, or becomes a one site festival in the future

I loved my first festival experience and wouldnt go anywhere else but to v fest and blue camping.....

That's a very strange conclusion.

A bit like going to Butlins on your first ever holiday, having a great time and deciding that's it for you, you're never going anywhere else.

I completely agree with your opinions on V, Strangely though the only festival that I have found to be worse is Isle oc Wight. A truly terrible experience.

But each to their own.

My 18th V festival! At the age of 45 I have attended many festivals - but I still go to V every year. I leave the wife and kids at home and go alone and always enjoy myself. I know what to expect - and have always managed to avoid any trouble. I found the majority of people really friendly. The weather sucked - but compared to the Glastonburys of 97,98,05,07 and V2007 - it was tolerable.

Obviously being older I enjoyed the Charlatans, Kasabian, Echo and the Bunnymen etc. But I still bounced in the mosh pit to Reverend and the makers. Also really enjoyed Sigma, Ella Eyre and (guilty pleasure) Ellie Goulding!

I have no problem with it being less busy than previous years. So easy to get from stage to stage. Found a pleasant place to camp up in Green - and had great neighbours. Toilets have improved over the years. Plenty of food choice in V Healthy - and always found the stall holders to be really cheerful. The organisation of the shuttle buses to/from Wolverhampton makes arriving and departing a doddle.

I was a little surprised at how heavy handed security were at times - (the "pat down" on the way into the arena at times was far more intense than airport security for a trans-atlantic flight!) but once into the arena I found it all quite relaxed.

It's simple - if you don't like it, don't go!  I will be getting my early bird ticket for next year.

I expect to see the same cycle of everyone moaning when the headline acts begins with the letter K again (Killers, KoL, Kasabian, Keane, Kaiser Chiefs, Kooks....) and George Ezra and Sam Smith refuse to go away from the lineup...   

But when I am walking down from Green campsite to the arena on the Sunday morning, having just had a brilliant time on Saturday discovering some new music and seeing some old favourites - and knowing I have another whole day of music variety ahead of me - I will be one of the happiest blokes in Staffordshire!

Edited by festy-dancer

This is a honest review for any first time festival goers.

So me plus a group of 11 went to V festival, Weston Park 2014. We arrived and parked in the north east car park at the time it was the only one open. We arrived at 5.30am after staying in a Travelodge hotel in Wolverhampton Central only £30 a room per night. We were in a cue till 6.30am and then camped. We originally picked to go in green campsite closer to the arena but were not allowed in there till 10am so ended up pitching in blue campsite (5 minute walk to the arena) and still party styled campsite but also decent if you want sleep.

Blue campsite was the nearest campsite to the north east car park. Only had 3 vans serving breakfast and normal burgers, chips ect. Toilets were cleaned every day but showers werent the best and wouldnt trust so just take loads of baby wipes and water.

Food;

- £6-£8 per meal, variety of things to get. Id suggest people to get noodles, all day breakfast and fish and chips was lovely.

- We didnt bring a stove or a bbq as it was our first time and we would suggest taking that with you its an absolute bonus.

Alcohol;

- NOT worth £4.80 per pint, a reasonable price would be £3.50

- People just sneaked alcohol in through pouches.

Music;

- Acts were all on at different times so you get to see everyone you want to which was really good

- Bad thing on the Saturday morning at start music too loud so could hear the artists sing.

- Likes of Justin Timberlake, Sam Smith, Fuse ODG, Tinie Tempah were amazing. They possibly need to liven up the Saturday night acts as didnt suit everyone. But the variety was good.

The staff that were working at the V festival were lovely and the stewards patrolling were very kind and lovely. The programme sellers do not get paid enough commission. £10 per programme is ridiculous. Needs to be lower

I loved my first festival experience and wouldnt go anywhere else but to v fest and blue camping. Stay over the night before get there early and get on it. We thought there would be massive cues and there wasnt but I wouldnt risk it.

I hope this helps. Any questions, just ask.

I used to say all this about Leeds and V. This bodes very well for you. If you think V is brilliant (and without  meaning to be a knobhead- it's not- it's absolute muck), wait till you experience other festivals like Glasto and Bestival. You are in for a treat.

I think each to their own,we went a group of 4 women in our early 40s,we absolutely loved it! We camped in green camp with a mix of ages,all lovely friendly people,a few were up later than us but they weren't horrendously loud,they were just enjoying it! We felt very secure with lots of staff and police patrolling the camp!We loved all the different varieties of music even the silent disco Friday night!! Can't wait for 2016 Weston Park!!

I think each to their own,we went a group of 4 women in our early 40s,we absolutely loved it! We camped in green camp with a mix of ages,all lovely friendly people,a few were up later than us but they weren't horrendously loud,they were just enjoying it! We felt very secure with lots of staff and police patrolling the camp!We loved all the different varieties of music even the silent disco Friday night!! Can't wait for 2016 Weston Park!!

Does sound like they have done a bit of work with security in the camp sites to make them safer compared to previous years. In 2013 there was a lot of noise, crime and people really not respecting the camping areas by peeing everywhere so it's good to hear that has improved

I think the hate for it comes from comparing it to other festivals and assuming because you go to v you don't go to others. I do Glastonbury and v each year - Glastonbury for a festival and v to see lots of music i like (poppier stuff) in a short period of time. Glastonbury doesn't offer that and you have to walk miles

Take it for what it is and it's fine, comparing and being condescending to people who enjoy it is pointless

Edited by efcfanwirral

• 1 month later...

V is a premium priced festival for an absolute bare bones experience. Simple as that. 

They've took the piss for FAR too long and I hope tbh they go under, they deserve to. You pay the same price everyone else gives you 3 days for but you get 2 days. Theres no late night entertainment, theres 3 fucking stages now and a dance tent, thats a disgrace, they fill it full of cheap flavour of the month acts. It should be much cheaper for what it is. Thing is many people have moved on after trying out somewhere else. Its a good first festival experience without actually experiencing a festival in truth. 

I started going V in 2001, and each time I went it got worse. Until I finally gave up. You are the lemon that they squeeze every drop from but the juice you get in return tastes pretty bitter.

Luckysalt sums it up pretty well. I haven't been to Stafford V festival only Hylands park and can't add anything else. Save up a bit more money and get on a coach to the mainland Europe. The festivals there are proper music festivals. Pinkpop in Holland is 3 days and awesome. Rock am ring is 4 days and the campsite is completely different. People set up massive marquees with bars in and djs. Unbelievable. And they are all cheaper than V. 

V is a premium priced festival for an absolute bare bones experience. Simple as that. 

They've took the piss for FAR too long and I hope tbh they go under, they deserve to. You pay the same price everyone else gives you 3 days for but you get 2 days. Theres no late night entertainment, theres 3 fucking stages now and a dance tent, thats a disgrace, they fill it full of cheap flavour of the month acts. It should be much cheaper for what it is. Thing is many people have moved on after trying out somewhere else. Its a good first festival experience without actually experiencing a festival in truth. 

I started going V in 2001, and each time I went it got worse. Until I finally gave up. You are the lemon that they squeeze every drop from but the juice you get in return tastes pretty bitter.

Seriously? Apart from glastonbury, what ones do count? I've been to Leeds, Kendal and a few others beyond the yearly glastonbury trip but I just don't see much difference between V and the others (price doesn't come into the equation for this argument!). If V isn't a "real festival" what actually is?