Secret Garden Party 2012

Guest Couchy

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always sad when the post festival chat is dominated by talk of thieves and security.

I had an amazing time, sitting here thinking about it and all the crazy stuff I saw which was actually real (and not a dream, hallucination etc) totally bonkers!

Hope everyone got in ok, complete with all their stuff.

We got through with a bottle of Brandy but had a bottle of Amaretto taken off us, security girl knew about brandy but let us have it :D

Also very very close call with some rather 'dodgy' stuff we were bringing in, security were scrupulous and we had full police/dogs treatment too, but one you're in; you're in. :P

Hello Miesh. I can confirm that I got in with 7 plastic bottles of wine more than the allowance. I also got some bits and bobs through as well. I didn't even see a police person at the entrance let alone a dog. However, my mate said he saw a dog so I don't know how I managed to miss it and it's handler!

Had a fab time there too. Now waiting for Shambala which I'm looking forward to even more.

Yay! Pleased to hear that. Glad you had a fab time.

Things went well for us. The first two shifts directing traffic was a new experience for me, but the final shift (which ended 9pm Saturday) by the rumbar tent was good fun. I enjoyed helping people find their way, seeing people dressed up and dancing to the music.

I am looking forward to Shambala too but need to recover and sort out a costume!

Shame to hear about the thefts. I never experienced, or heard much about it, when I went before. It does seem to attract a certain 'affluence' so, yes, gangs may be wise to it and know that the general vibe of the festival is on their side.

Local media picked up on it.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Huntingdon-St-Ives-St-Neots/Rude-awakening-for-fans-after-thieves-hit-festival-23072012.htm

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Police-arrest-21-at-festival-24072012.htm

Festival organiser Fred Felloes said: “I am unable to comment on the exact amount of thefts at the moment but the fact that we know that these were going on is evidence that we had handled the situation.”

That's a line that a politician would come out with. They knew it was going on because the disgruntled punters told them so, not because of any special handling of the situation.

Security didn't want to know with our mate in fact he even began to think that they were somehow in on it. They wanted to walk with him to show where his car was but he refused and went to the police instead as he was worried that once he showed them the car would then go 'missing'.

We got in with none of us getting searched as it was a busy time. A little cute police dog had a sniff but didn';t find anything in fact my mates never even noticed him.

I went to meet friends at the gate on Friday night and as it was nearly the 10pm curfew they had been sent in via another gate by the taxi rank and then sent over to get there tickets from the main gate so actually had access to the full site without showing a ticket.

As I say though the whole festival was a magical experience for me from start to finish but I'll definitely be using those lock ups just in case next year

I had a brilliant time as did all our group but did hear many horror stories about tent thefts really nearby. Such a shame, I wondered whether it was a symptom of security being too heavy handed the year before so they'd now gone the other way.

As far as the festival goes, loved Orbital and Alabama Shakes, the fireworks were the best I've seen anyway and we had tremendous fun running round with these:

111npfl.jpg

Had an amazing time at SGP. Heard nothing about robbing. Security was rubbish... I guess they were making sure they were doing a complete 360 from the heavy handed ness of last year. I personally thought it a zillion Times better than Glastonbury. Brilliant festival.

Also, from talking to lots of security I have formed the opinion that, yes some are rubbish but many are very hard working and they were treated badly. Their shifts were too long, no toilets or showers in their camping area. Many said they won't come back which IMO will lead to next year's security being less experienced or the ones who don't give a shit. There is a balance to be struck and staff shoul be looked after.

I had a brilliant time as did all our group but did hear many horror stories about tent thefts really nearby. Such a shame, I wondered whether it was a symptom of security being too heavy handed the year before so they'd now gone the other way.

As far as the festival goes, loved Orbital and Alabama Shakes, the fireworks were the best I've seen anyway and we had tremendous fun running round with these:

111npfl.jpg

There is definitely better elements to other festivals compared to Glasto and I've often rated other festival experiences better when returning.

I've pretty much decided am working Glasto again next year to fund another trip over to Exit with hopefully adding another European one either before or after it.

SGP is one I definitely want to try one year too.

Thanks :) We got a great reception, even had the crowd part for us during a drum n bass set in temple of boom on Friday. We'll have to come up with something else for next year :)