eFestivals

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wake me up when reggae stops being endemically homophobic.

there's instances of that just as there has been amongst rap, rock, folk and anything else.

Reggae - in the early time of Buju Banton (and at a time when the likes of The Sun was standardly homophobic, as was our society generally) - (rightly) got an awful lot of stick for it, tho that same level of vitriol hasn't been given out in other just-as-deserving directions since, certainly not to the same extent.

But what I guess has passed you by is things have moved on quite significantly since, with many of the acts of back then having renounced their previous homophobia.

All that aside, it's nothing really to do with reggae but with homophobia within certain black cultures. Reggae is not by-default homophobic, just as rap is not.

The Twinkle Brothers are on tour....

The dates, which include a full backing band, are:

23 Nov - Band On The Wall, Manchester

24 Nov - World Headquarters, Newcastle (Deviate)

30 Nov - Jamm, Brixton (Vagabondz)

01 Dec - Leeds University (Vagabondz)

07 Dec - Marcus Garvey Ballroom, Nottingham (Highness Sound System)

08 Dec - Trinity Centre, Bristol (Teachings In Dub)

They were absolutely mindblowing at Shambala where half the crowd didn't have a clue who they were, so they'll be even better at their own show. Can't wait. :D

Never knew that about ska. Reggae was never big in Ireland outside of Marley. Never had a scene here.

I dont know there, quite a few of the small festivals had pretty cool reggae areas like the Body & Soul festival, Life festival and the bigger Electric Picnic with the Trenchtown area. This is fairly new band from Dublin called Madu which is a Malaysian brother and sister (Dublin based) and some other folk, but they are creating quite a stir in Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4RPKPnKsUw

More recently was Lee Scratch Perrys performance at the Electric Picnic, I missed the Max Romeo bit, but have caught him before at Life festival 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5E-le-EL5w

So there is not too bad a scene in Ireland.

I dont know there, quite a few of the small festivals had pretty cool reggae areas like the Body & Soul festival, Life festival and the bigger Electric Picnic with the Trenchtown area. This is fairly new band from Dublin called Madu which is a Malaysian brother and sister (Dublin based) and some other folk, but they are creating quite a stir in Ireland.

More recently was Lee Scratch Perrys performance at the Electric Picnic, I missed the Max Romeo bit, but have caught him before at Life festival 2008.

So there is not too bad a scene in Ireland.

I've seen a good few gigs in Ireland myself, Toots numerous times, but I meant there wasn't a scene back in the day really. Apart from Bob Marleys gig in Dalymount in 1980.

eFestivals is now (again) sponsoring One Love Festival.

I finally got around to going for the first time this year, and it was an absolutely lovely festival. I can't believe I'd ignored it for so long.

I'm looking forwards to next year already, and mostly managing to resist the urge to mail over a huge list of my favourite acts for One Love to book. :P

Early bird tix are just £99. What are you waiting for? :D

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/onelove/2013

• 3 weeks later...

because a very nice man has just done something very nice for me :) .... I need to give the very excellent Joshua Moses some extra love.

His album 'Joshua to Jashwha - (30 Years In The Wilderness)' is my fav new reggae album, of this year ... tho it has to be said that it's not really from this year, the tracks were recorded in the years from 1978 until now.

Wake me up when reggae stops being endemically homophobic.

Well it does come from Jamaica which is mostly a very homophobic country.

I found this documentary on it quite interesting.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/batty-man/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1