2013 headliners

Guest zahidf

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm beginning to think more about the Woods Stage, which struggles for love compared to the adored Garden Stage. The issue this year was that none of the headline acts were unifying forces, in fact my beloved Newsom appeared to be a divisive force, which I fully understand. Beirut were just not big enough, particular set against The Fall (I'll spare you my opinion of the latter!), and Mogwai were not everyone's cup of tea, certainly not against EOTR favourites Okkervil River.

So for the Woods Stage on any given night there should be a must-see big name (perhaps an oldie?), or a real feel-good band/singer that can deliver an entertaining and fun set for everyone, and of course there should be nothing in the big top or tipi stage at the time, both of which should be preparing for late sets.

I see a lot of names on the lists on this thread that could fit the bill, but the organisers have to be a step ahead. i.e. book acts that have albums out that year. e.g. Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver or Polly would have been great. If an act has toured an album for the previous 18 months, it's not much of an event.

• 2 weeks later...

You are probably right that he might suit the generic Woods Stage, having seen him play at Reading to a much bigger crowd (unless capacity rises again) he was very popular with the NME crowd.

Sorry wasn't meaning to be so sarcastic, the 07 reference was because he did play EoTR in 2007....always ahead of trend!

Edited by perfectpassion

• 2 weeks later...

Acts I'd like to see who haven't done EOTR before

Lucinda Williams (probably a delusional fantasy but I can dream)

Eilen Jewell

Southern Tenant Folk Union

Corinne West

Regina Spektor

Warpaint

Anna Calvi

Babajack

Neil Brophy

Maria McKee

Anna Calvi

Ane Brun

Flogging Molly

Fever Ray

Uncle Earl

The Believers

The Jesus and Mary Chain (I'm fantasising again)

Mundo Jazz

Personal EOTR favourites I'd like to see return

Sparrow and the Workshop

Beth Jeans Houghton

Low Anthem

Dylan Leblanc

Esben and the Witch

First Aid Kit

She Keeps Bees

And a suggestion for a woods stage headliner - an oldie, who everybody knows, a real crowd pleaser, in tune with the audience (well those hanging round the cider bus). How about the Wurzels?

The Smoke Fairies

Well Reverend, not equipped to comment on much of your wish-list (though no thanks to a J&MC revival), but thumbs up to Maria McKee, on the proviso she leaves the old stuff at home and plays us the new cinema soundtrack stuff. Maria is the best live act I've seen, but recent years have seen polite if accomplished acoustic retreads of the classics.

The nice man in my village who regularly fixes my car and takes his steam engine down to Blandford for the steam fair on the EOTR weekend swears by the Wurzels, by the way.

• 2 months later...

I'm disappointed to lose out on Feist as I had been secretly hoping for them. At least I'll be seeing Jonathan Richman in Cardiff at the end of Feb, to avoid double disappointment.

Green Man and Camp Bestival both seem very good at building a community and a sense of excitement about forthcoming announcements through the likes of Twitter and e-newsletters. I know that our beloved EOTR is a lot smaller, but their "press office" is a great deal quieter. It's been a while since we had anything other than a tweet about logistics.

Edited by paulwa

I'm disappointed to lose out on Feist as I had been secretly hoping for them. At least I'll be seeing Jonathan Richman in Cardiff at the end of Feb, to avoid double disappointment.

Green Man and Camp Bestival both seem very good at building a community and a sense of excitement about forthcoming announcements through the likes of Twitter and e-newsletters. I know that our beloved EOTR is a lot smaller, but their "press office" is a great deal quieter. It's been a while since we had anything other than a tweet about logistics.

Edited by perfectpassion