Pyramid Wind Turbine

Guest posthuman

So was the Pyramid Stage wind turbine fake or real? I did actually see it not moving once, but apart from that, it did seem to be moving at the same speed for the whole festival.

If it was real... how much energy would it actually generate? Enough to power half of one of the stage lights?

Edited by posthuman

riiight gotcha, this i know andi believe it takes a whole lot more wind...plus it's a model. It really was solar powered, as mentioned, I went to the stall to find out more about it as was interested.

Strange though, I thought you were against the prospect of it being a powered model? "it must use a hell of a lot of power to keep that thing rotating all the time" - so confused (easily done!)

Anyway, only originally posted to see if peeps wanted a bit more info on them that's all.

I don't think it's in keeping with the green festival spirit really. It must use a hell of a lot of power to keep that thing rotating all the time :lol:

I would have thought it would use about the same amount as it produces when it's being turned by the wind. So you could say to make up for it being used 'in reverse' (if that's what it was doing at the fest) it would have to do about 5 days 'real' work to make up for it.

It was a joke.

duh

Edited by kerplunk

I would have thought it would use about the same amount as it produces when it's being turned by the wind. So you could say to make up for it being used 'in reverse' (if that's what it was doing at the fest) it would have to do about 5 days 'real' work to make up for it.
Edited by mikeb

Nope not really, because it's effectively running on no-load plus would have been assisted by whatever wind was available and in any case was allegedly solar powered according to a comment earlier. Spinning the rotor alone would have taken little or no power providing that there was no load connected as the only power needed would be to overcome friction.

uh ok I'll have to think about that one ;)