Dr Who revealed

tinygreendragon

I am thinking that the Doctors room contained himself.

There's been a lot of implied reference to the Doctor being a monster himself. The Minotaur in the labyrinth (again another great sci-fi riff on a well known myth/fable - I love when Doctor Who does that) was talking about him as he died, wasn't he?

I wonder how this all links to him going to his death? Is it one big red herring in that we are going to assume Doc hates himself and actually will want his life to end by the end of this series? That's why he dropped off Amy and Rory because he's tired of watching others die and now wants to die himself (his little smile when it was said theres more to victories than saving the universe could have had a double meaning I.e he is done with policing the universe?) could this series actually end with him being killed? He seemed to be in awe of the Minotaur, as though he could relate to its predicament, and he seemed to find comfort in the fact this creature could die, and wanted to die. I always think back to Tennants last lines 'I've lived too long' when I watch these episodes. Could River, Rory and Amy simply not live with the knowledge that he is off to his death and do something about it? Either way, I'm scratching my head but enjoying every minute of it.

Edited by Purple Monkey

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes obviously it was a young Amy. Forgot about that.

As for the Doctor... Thought the obvious things first. Daleks or River Song. Yeah he's scared of them but not his worst fear. He has beaten the Daleks time after time and has faced River/Melody the other week. I think that there is nothing behind the door. His biggest fear is being alone. He is the last Time Lord and is always heartbroken when he loses his companions and is left in the TARDIS on his own

As for the Doctor... Thought the obvious things first. Daleks or River Song. Yeah he's scared of them but not his worst fear. He has beaten the Daleks time after time and has faced River/Melody the other week. I think that there is nothing behind the door. His biggest fear is being alone. He is the last Time Lord and is always heartbroken when he loses his companions and is left in the TARDIS on his own

It wasn't about fear, it was about things that would question their faith so the real question is what does he have faith in and what would make him question it. So it could be The Master (questions the dark side of the Timelords), a previous companion (questions himself as he mention he only brings them to be adored in the episode) or something that makes him question the Tardis or much more likely the writers didn't bother to think of something as it would be too complicated.

It wasn't about fear, it was about things that would question their faith so the real question is what does he have faith in and what would make him question it. So it could be The Master (questions the dark side of the Timelords), a previous companion (questions himself as he mention he only brings them to be adored in the episode) or something that makes him question the Tardis or much more likely the writers didn't bother to think of something as it would be too complicated.

It wasn't something to question faith but to make them place everything they had into believing in their faith

BILL TO APPEAR IN THE DR WHO CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

Yes it's finally happened! Bill Bailey is to guest star in the Dr Who Christmas Special 2011. Production has started on the story which is set in war-torn England and sees The Doctor (Matt Smith) embarking on a magical and mysterious adventure with a young widow and her two children.

Bill appears along with Claire Skinner, Arabella Weir and Alexander Armstrong in the festive special.

Well when he opened up the door you could hear the bong from the episode when the tardis told him danger was near - the end of the universe episode to name one of them.. anyway it's all speculation at the moment

Bill Bailey will be interesting in the xmas special though :)

Well when he opened up the door you could hear the bong from the episode when the tardis told him danger was near - the end of the universe episode to name one of them.. anyway it's all speculation at the moment

That would be the cloister bell, heard at times of great peril/danger/crisis/lack of guacamole/when Amy's wearing a short skirt and standing on the glass floor. My thoughts are that the Doctor's faith (i.e. the minotaur's 'food') is based in his belief that what he does is the right thing, so whoever (I think the Doctor did say. "Ah, so it's you then," when he opened the door) is in there challenges that belief. Maybe.

Bill Bailey will be interesting in the xmas special though :)

Yeah. Loads of rumours he'll be playing the Meddling Monk (google it if you don't know) but I don't think so. That would be cool but I think he'll have another character.

That would be the cloister bell, heard at times of great peril/danger/crisis/lack of guacamole/when Amy's wearing a short skirt and standing on the glass floor. My thoughts are that the Doctor's faith (i.e. the minotaur's 'food') is based in his belief that what he does is the right thing, so whoever (I think the Doctor did say. "Ah, so it's you then," when he opened the door) is in there challenges that belief. Maybe.

Yeah. Loads of rumours he'll be playing the Meddling Monk (google it if you don't know) but I don't think so. That would be cool but I think he'll have another character.

bleh, had no idea what it was called - have only watched since it restarted on beeb in 2005ish because i'm still quite young. might find the older series and film to watch at some point.

will deffo check that out as well too, i just wonder what he will be like in an acting role - has he done any before?

bleh, had no idea what it was called - have only watched since it restarted on beeb in 2005ish because i'm still quite young. might find the older series and film to watch at some point.

will deffo check that out as well too, i just wonder what he will be like in an acting role - has he done any before?

In the classic series I can remember the cloister bell from the last Tom Baker story (Logopolis), possibly the last Sarah Jane one (Hand of Fear) when I think it was used as a signal calling the Doctor back to Gallifrey, and I'm sure from one or two Peter Davison ones. Ah, should always check online first - http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Cloister_Bell - but I like to just try to remember these things. :) I was sure it was in Hand of Fear, oh well...

Can't say I remember Bill Bailey in any 'serious' acting roles, just comedy, but he's great in Black Books, Spaced, Hot Fuzz, and Hitch Hikers Guide (ok, just a voice but a good one). Should be good in Dr Who.

Hmm.. a let down episode.

I actually had to bite my lip and admit that Corden's episode last year wasn't too bad, and he was almost bearable, but he was just bloody annoying. I thought they got so much wrong last night. When did the Cybermen become such pussies? Criminally underused. The whole 'love saved you' stuff is fresh out of Harry Potter and completely predictable.

Having said that, Matt Smith was really good - some brilliant one liners and he shows his ability to change from whimsical to tortured, and appears young yet ancient. He's a very talented man.

Best thing about last night - 'Stormaggedon'. :lol:

Finale next week then - weird that it isn't a 2-parter, so maybe it's just going to be a stonking end to the series. Looking forward to it.

I think it could be argued that other season finales have been stretched out a bit, with part 1 always great and part 2 a bit too daft. Maybe Moffatt has thought the same, and is trying to cram it all into one mega-episode. He hasn't let us down yet so I'm really looking forward to it.

We'll know in 6 days time, but although I have really enjoyed the River Song story arc, I do hope it is completely sewn up and nothing is carried over to the next series. All questions to be answered please!

When did the Cybermen become such pussies? Criminally underused.

I saw this differently, I thought the cybermen were just an aside to the main object of the episode which was to show the Doctor accepting his fate. Lots of comments dropped in about the cybermen though, for instance the Doctor wondering why they're using spare parts. Why had their ship crashed there? Why was one of the chest plates exposed? I think this was just a subtle way to set up the cybermen for a proper return next year, something along the lines of a resurrected our-universe faction that might have used spare parts from the alt-universe bunch to get things going again.

The whole 'love saved you' stuff is fresh out of Harry Potter and completely predictable.

Yeah, personally this touchy-feely emotion stuff isn't for me, but one of the glories of Dr Who is that it can and sometimes does cover almost every aspect of story telling, and I guess at some point that has to include some guff about love saving the day (and thinking about it and the title of the last episode, is it a bit of foreshadowing?). After all, what better crowd to pull in as viewers than the 6.37billion Harry Potter fans, and if a bit like this needs to happen then so be it. At least they did have the decency to include a good reaction to it from the Doctor and more or less point out in-story that it's a cliche, but one that obviously still happened. As long as every episode doesn't end up having similar sentiments I'll be fine.

And as for the finale - well for me the only thing I want tied up is what happens with the Doctor's death. I don't need answers to absolutely everything, I'm used to the original series where the Master would seemingly die immolated in alien fire or some such thing, then just pop back up again a series or 2 later with no explanation other than 'he always comes back'. Besides, there are some bits already covered, like River was the regenerating girl in the New York alley, and she is in the astronaut suit, and the silence are in league with/employing the services of Madame Kovarian (or vice versa possibly) and in charge of everything (possibly). I'm happy with this, leaves plenty of scope for things to go in any number of ways next year.

Edited by radish

ah... the rumour is that the eye patch is a tool to enable you to remember The Silence. Apparently there is a 'prequel' video out there that shows the Silence being held captive in Area 52 and the guards have the eye patch as well.

Which is a pretty good idea imo. Fuckup averted.

I believe there is a picture somewhere of River, Amy, Rory (dressed as a guard) and the Doctor all wearing eye patches. So, yes, possibly an eye patch with a picture of a silent on it so you can always see it.

Is that Noel Fielding in funny makeup in the trailer for the next episode?

I think the Doctor is asking him 'Why do I have to die?'

Apparently it's Mark Gatiss, playing somebody called Gavrok I think? Some kind of norse god type. I too did wonder why bother making Mark Gatiss spend 5 hours in a make-up chair when they could have just got Noel Fielding in to do it au naturelle as it were.

[Edit] It's Gantok not Gavrok. And that was the nagging thing in the back of my mind, it reminding me of the 7th Doctor talking about playing chess with Fenric.

Edited by radish