End of the road festival 2008

Guest zahidf

One question as I'm just sorting my train tickets - what would be a good time to have a train ticket back for? Bearing in mind I'll need to leave the festival (and I'm not one of those 'let's leave as soon as day breaks' people!) and get back to Salisbury station on the shuttle bus. I have no idea about timings on any part of this, so if anyone could offer any advice I'd be hugely grateful!
Edited by GTG

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cling with fervant hope that this prospect holds!!

I've given Metcheck for Blandford Forum rather than for the actual EoTR Festival, because the town forecasts give much more detail.

ETA : 14:23 revision today (Weds) shows a slight downgrade -- stronger winds and a few light showers Friday ; and those temps are comedy-low. Don't worry though, Metcheck ALWAYS underestimate temps, and with sunshine like that on Sat and Sun, you'd inevitably feel warmer than 16C!

Edited by William of Walworth

...be surprised if there ain't any up in the tent-camping area - we festival goers are all becoming namby pamby softies these days.

Whatever happened to the good ol'days, when we'd all jump naked into the local stream and go down with rickets two weeks later, with a belly full of Pilton Cesspit fluid!!!!

Am I the only person on here who has Brakes on their *must see* list??! - Maybe I've missed someone.......

My unmissables -

Fri

Conor Oberst

Sat

Noah and the Whale

Bon Iver

British Sea Power :)

Mercury Rev

Sun

Tindersticks

A bit of Calexico - or Mountain Goats

BRAKES :)

Lots of others I want to see, but those are the bare essentials B)

OK, lots of regular festival goers here so hopefully you can help me make a decision! As I'm not driving to End Of The Road, the tent I use with my kids is out of the question. I'm determined to travel as lightly and hassle-free as possible, to the extent that I've even considered being ripped off by the Tangerine Field people (£55 just to rent a tent!?). So, I'm looking at getting one of those pop-up festival specials, either the Gelert one or the Rolson.

Has anyone here bought/used either of these? Any comments/advice and maybe some reference to the kind of weather you used it in! The way things are at the moment, I am setting my expectations to LOW.

Thanks in advance.

OK, lots of regular festival goers here so hopefully you can help me make a decision! As I'm not driving to End Of The Road, the tent I use with my kids is out of the question. I'm determined to travel as lightly and hassle-free as possible, to the extent that I've even considered being ripped off by the Tangerine Field people (£55 just to rent a tent!?). So, I'm looking at getting one of those pop-up festival specials, either the Gelert one or the Rolson.

Has anyone here bought/used either of these? Any comments/advice and maybe some reference to the kind of weather you used it in! The way things are at the moment, I am setting my expectations to LOW.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Just realised that there are lots of general forums here too and LOADS of threads/posts about this. Looks like I will lash out an extra tenner for a Eurohike Flash Mach II at Millets tomorrow, because of the risk you mention. This one is double-skinned which should make it a more realistic proposition.

Hi there, I have a spare ticket for sale (face value, obviously). I live just outside Salisbury about 30 minutes from the festival site, so I could meet you at home or at the festival gate. E-mail to rjpenny1 at yahoo dot com or just post up here.

To assist with the weather watch, there wasn't much rain here yesterday and some sunny spells, but it did rain heavily on Friday and for some time on Saturday. I will try to post more as the festival approaches.

From what I can remember from last year, the main camping area is at the top of the ridge and on a slight slope. Therefore, it should drain reasonably well but it is quite exposed. My biking experiences around Cranbourne Chase lead me to expect claggy, sticky mud so wellies or sturdy boots are a must. The car park is at the bottom of the ridge so might get a bit bogged down late on - I'm going to try and get there early.

I have a crappy pop-up (wrestle-down) tent so am praying for sun!

Cheers,

Richard

6:26 am update : not so good at all for Friday now. Saturday still looking adequate and Sunday better -- but both much cloudier than in earlier forecasts.

Those temps are a joke though, as always with Metcheck. NO WAI!!! will it only be 11C on a Friday in early September. They always underestimate. Metcheck is ever changing at the moment though, there's time for any kind of change to happen.

Met Office forecast a fair bit better (update is from 4 pm Sunday) -- we will have to wait for midday's update to see if that dry prospect is confirmed, but there's always hope!

(Sorry for obsessing people, this is our last of very many festivals and like most of you, we'd REALLY like a dry one to finish off the season!!)