Flag Building tips

Guest thazlewood

Latest update - Bought the material at weekend, instead of getting cotton, which gets too heavy when wet have bought a slightly more silky fabric which is lighter. Have traced design onto flag and tested today on four metre pole, but it was inadequate, so am going to order a 5m version. Is the five metre up to the job Pogal?

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put up my 5m pole and decided it was 'adequate'. Now, I'm not the sort of person who's happy with adequate, so I got the credit card out and bought an 8m pole. (My brother had to talk me out of a 10m beast!) To be honest, I do think it was a bit expensive and wouldn't have bought it if I was trying to have a cheap month. It hasn't turned up yet but I'm itching to have a go. ;)

That said, a 5m pole will put your flag comfortably above the top of the tents and the price per metre starts getting rather high above 5m.

I put up my 5m pole and decided it was 'adequate'. Now, I'm not the sort of person who's happy with adequate, so I got the credit card out and bought an 8m pole. (My brother had to talk me out of a 10m beast!) To be honest, I do think it was a bit expensive and wouldn't have bought it if I was trying to have a cheap month. It hasn't turned up yet but I'm itching to have a go. :lol:

That said, a 5m pole will put your flag comfortably above the top of the tents and the price per metre starts getting rather high above 5m.

Edited by marjorie dawes

I just bought myself a 5m pole with stake and bungees, and a plain white flag to print my design onto. Where is the best place to get this done? I'm guessing t-shirt printing shops or maybe photo processing places (they should be able to print onto materials?)

I gave my 7m a test run in the garden today and it looked good with 2 flags on it. ;) May get another ground spike for it though, had 2 supporting it but I think a third would be just perfect. Now just need to stop talking about my flag design and start working on it! :lol:

Latest update - Bought the material at weekend, instead of getting cotton, which gets too heavy when wet have bought a slightly more silky fabric which is lighter. Have traced design onto flag and tested today on four metre pole, but it was inadequate, so am going to order a 5m version. Is the five metre up to the job Pogal?

I think that's what I'm going to go for as the 4m would have meant the flag only just being above the tents, and not very visible from a distance. I see you tied yours to the very top of the pole too, I tied mine about 10 inches down as I wasnt sure how well the thinnest section would hold up under the weight. I'm going to stick my flag on a 5m pole and use the 4m I have already for one of these:

IMHO the top one or two sections are just tooo thin. So you need to order a pole at least 1-2M taller than you actually want.

Agreed...use a 7m so fly flag on the 6m and down...

6m up is flashing beacon..

at 4m flashing "Camp Funk" neon sign ;)

Edited by Boris

I just bought myself a 5m pole with stake and bungees, and a plain white flag to print my design onto. Where is the best place to get this done? I'm guessing t-shirt printing shops or maybe photo processing places (they should be able to print onto materials?)

Well we had our flag supplied and printed by the same company. erm..... trying to remember who it was.....will post if I do.