PEARL JAM

Guest Olivavu

Have you heard the song?

The riff is very nearly the same as the Porch riff. It's not harsh at all. If they use the same riff then there's obviously going to be comparison. In my opinion Porch is 10 times as good as Severed Hand.

I love every PJ album, but too be honest this is shaping up to be my least favourite. I've heard WWS, SH, Unemployable and Parachutes. WWS and Unemployable are quite good but nothing special, Parachutes doesn't do much for me and SH is pretty poor.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is one of those absolutely essential albums, yes.

I feel sorry for the teenagers of today, cause the music scene of the 90's was superb.

Most of the stuff today is poor rehashing of what's gone before.

The days when there were Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against The Machine, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains et al were excellent.

Kerrang used to be a good magazine, but it's completely sold out now. It's either HIM, My Chemical Romance or Green Day on the front every week it seems.

NME seem to only care about The Arctic Monkeys and Pete Doherty these days.

The 90's were much better.

Ok then Im going to HMV on Monday and have decided to buy some Pj albums ( no one say im not open to new things ). So what 3 PJ albums should I opt for. I dont want the greatest hits as thats the easy option, but I want the three most obscure, different PJ albums - in other words the three at completely different ends of the scale, to show all the different sides of the band.

Oh yeah and what material are the albums made of? are they all cardboard like the greatest hits, and are the sleevenotes good?

Edited by thomasowen

Ok then Im going to HMV on Monday and have decided to buy some Pj albums ( no one say im not open to new things ). So what 3 PJ albums should I opt for. I dont want the greatest hits as thats the easy option, but I want the three most obscure, different PJ albums - in other words the three at completely different ends of the scale, to show all the different sides of the band.

Oh yeah and what material are the albums made of? are they all cardboard like the greatest hits, and are the sleevenotes good?

Edited by Spiral_Low

If you want 3 albums to show the different ends of PJ then get:

Vitalogy - Old PJ

Binaural - 'experimental' PJ

Riot Act - New PJ

Yield, No Code, Riot Act and Lost Dogs are all in digipacks like the best of album. Vitalogy packaging is like a book. Ten, Vs and Binaural are normal jewel cases.

For cheap albums go on amazon marketplace. I ended up getting all the albums except Binaural and Riot Act from there for £3/4 including p&p.

Edited by fowls

To be honest

Ten

Vs

Yield

Those are the three best albums in my opinion...an they also encapsulate everything they're about. Rockin out and reaching ballads. It's not rocket science. You can get anal about it and say Vitalogy has this and Binaural has that, but when it comes down to it you won't find anything drastically different on those albums.

But No Code has In My Tree on it. And this song along encompasses everything that is good about anything.

I thought the original Last Kiss person was a bird?

They are 68% likely to play Rearviewmirror live.

Binaural isn't the best Pearl Jam album, but he asked for the albums that show the different ends of the spectrum. Binaural covers a big part of Pearl Jam that they never really showed in any of the other albums.

Also Binaural is the only PJ album that took time to grow on me. The rest I instantly loved except maybe a few songs on No Code. In showeing sides of the spectrum I don't think it's right to just include the instant lovable albums, need something to get your teeth into.

Edited by fowls

Agreed (Binaural was also the biggest 'grower' album for me...love it now). But often you have to become a fan first. It's like recommending In Through The Out Door as one of three Led Zeppelin albums to a newcomer....which would be a tragedy.

Either way, Binaural rocks!

to clarify, I know what you're saying. It's just that I know what's best for him.

j/k of course.

haha yeah. I just took it from his post that he wanted not necessarily the best albums, just the different ends of the scale, no matter how challenging they are or whaetever.

Just finished obtaining the album (*ahem*). Just got to Marker in the Sand and this is an AWESOME album. I even love Severed Hand in the context of the album! Can't wait to see them next week :blink: First Euro show in 6 years....still can't believe it.

Edited by fowls

haha yeah. I just took it from his post that he wanted not necessarily the best albums, just the different ends of the scale, no matter how challenging they are or whaetever.

Just finished obtaining the album (*ahem*). Just got to Marker in the Sand and this is an AWESOME album. I even love Severed Hand in the context of the album! Can't wait to see them next week :blink: First Euro show in 6 years....still can't believe it.

I'm going too, I'm going too :blink:. Cannot wait. gonna be awesome. As for the guy looking for 3 albums, I say get 4, and get Vs aswell, because it is sooo good, just for animal, go, dissident, rearviewmirror, glorified G, elderly woman, daughter, indifference. really think for the extra fiver, it'll be worth it.

Edited by ralph250