PEARL JAM

Guest Olivavu

PJ tickets for the Astoria 'sold out' (i.e. impossible to find) by 9am (went on sale at 8:55ish) and officially sold out by 9:20. Certainly the fastest sell out of the astoria I've seen in a long long time. My friend was constantly refreshing ticketmaster but still it went straight from "not on sale" to "sold out".

On seetickets it's f**ked up. It says there are tickets, but once the form is completed it says there's an error. Phone up and they say it's been sold out since day one and there's a problem with the site. God knows why they can't sort out one little thing. :blink:

So to put simply, if you think you can mock PJ for not selling out the Astoria, you're completely and utterly wrong. Just look at the PJ forum; 100s of people begging for that elusive spare ticket.

Edited by fowls

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although probably not as fast as last time.

If the rumours are true they'll play Wembley Arena on the Monday and Tuesday after Reading. With a lot of PJ fans being at Reading on the sunday for Pearl Jam and going home on Monday, the Monday show may not sell out too fast (well a week instead of a few days at least). Never know though.

Ok I stand corrected but its very unusual for see to make a mistake (how someone can accuse me of not doing research i dont know, i saw they were playing astoria and had the option to buy tickets (indeed its still displaying tickets at [url=http://www.seetickets.com/see/price.asp?code=189058&userid=41075666&filler1=see)]

I wouldn't class them as a massive band, its incredible the number of people that have actually asked who the f**k they are!

Edited by sebbieonline

As has been said before PJ are a MASSIVE band. They are one of the biggest bands in the US at the moment. The reason why not many people have heard them is because they haven't toured in 6 years and don't do publicity. So anyone who wasn't into music 6 years ago probably haven't heard of them. By the time the tour comes round a lot more people will know who they are. Even Radio 1 is starting to play them now.

Last time they were over they sold out arenas, and there are plenty of UK PJ fans out there. It's kind of a cult following. Unknown bands do not sell out arena tours, let alone have their tickets go for £500 a pair on ebay.

Look at their chart positions:

91 Ten - US #2; UK #18

93 Vs. - US #1; UK #2

94 Vitalogy - US #1; UK #4

96 No Code - US #1; UK #3

98 Yield - US #2; UK #5

00 Binaural - US #2; UK #7

02 Riot Act - US #5; UK #34

They lost popularity because they haven't toured the UK since Binaural. PJ is gonna be right up there in the charts if the response to them so far is anything to go by.

Edited by fowls

Ok I stand corrected but its very unusual for see to make a mistake (how someone can accuse me of not doing research i dont know, i saw they were playing astoria and had the option to buy tickets (indeed its still displaying tickets at

I wouldn't class them as a massive band, its incredible the number of people that have actually asked who the f**k they are!

*I* wouldn't class them as a massive band. There you have it. I'm sure you're in your teenage years and weren't in to rock n roll before the year 2000. Name me your biggest bands of the 90's and we'll do ourselves a little comparison. A fun game to play.

Shoot!

Ok, ok, I'll start.

http://www.riaa.org go to the searchable gold and platinum database and compare Pearl Jam's sales to Muse and Franz Ferdinand's. In fact, whilst you're at it, search for every band at Reading this year, note down all their albums sales COMBINED....and then compare that figure to Pearl Jam. Aaaaaaand GO!

Ooooh! V festival goers have entered the fray on the poll...

Who are you looking forward to seeing on the new series?

David Gilmour

(13.9%)

Keane

(27.8%)

Pearl Jam

(49.4%)

The Strokes

(8.9%)

f**king terrible that more people want to see Keane than David Gilmour...

news article + set list from the astoria last night from everyones fav web site (hehe) nme

http://www.nme.com/news/pearl-jam/22860

'World Wide Suicide'

'Life Wasted'

'Severed Hand'

'Unemployable'

'Gone'

'Even Flow'

'Sad'

'I Am Mine'

'Insignificance'

'Army Reserve'

'Present Tense'

'Better Man'

'Marker In The Sand'

'Do The Evolution'

'Why Go'

'Man Of The Hour'

'Given To Fly'

'Small Town'

'Porch'

'Comatose'

'Leavin' Here'

'Yellow Ledbetter'

'Alive'

Was an awesome night! They were so close to just walking off stage then they decided to play Alive, everyone went nuts! 3 Encores were great.

Surprising thing was the song that got the best reception seemed to be Insignificance, didn't expect that at all. The Uber-long Yellow Ledbetter was great too, never heard it go on for so long before.

Edited by fowls

Was an awesome night! They were so close to just walking off stage then they decided to play Alive, everyone went nuts! 3 Encores were great.

Surprising thing was the song that got the best reception seemed to be Insignificance, didn't expect that at all. The Uber-long Yellow Ledbetter was great too, never heard it go on for so long before.

PJ always have the best support. If they bought Sleater-Kinney or Ben Harper over for the euro tour I'd be over the moon!

Lots of hits weren't played:

Love Boat Captain

You Are

Daughter

Not For You

But it was just a promo show. Look at how many songs were from each album:

Ten: 4

Vs: 1

Vitalogy: 1

No Code: 1

Yield: 2

Binaural: 1

Riot Act: 1

Lost Dogs: 3

Pearl Jam: 8

Man of the Hour EP: 1

No idea why they played so many songs off Ten, but it was just to show the new songs then a few songs from each album that are good for standing crowds. At Reading they'll hopefully play a more rounded set. Was nice that 4 of the new songs had never been played before though. :blink:

Edited by fowls

Maybe it's because people really want to see Keanes frontmans ever more rounded face actually transform into a perfect sphere and detach itself from his neck, becoming it's own sentient lifeform before their very eyes.

David Gilmour doesn't have a face like moulded cheese, his face actually has edges you see.

When I saw them in 2000, they played this lot...

Of the Girl

Breakerfall

Grievance

Gods' Dice

Light Years

Corduroy

Animal

Given to Fly

Even Flow

Nothing as It Seems

Daughter

Faithful

MFC

Wishlist

Do the Evolution

Black

Alive

Timeless Melody

Insignificance

Rearviewmirror

Betterman

I Got Shit

Go

Soon Forget

Soldier of Love

Yellow Ledbetter

B00004Y75Q.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Was incredibly pissed off that I didn't get a ticket for the Astoria gig, as that would've been superb.

I can wait for Reading though...

Got this myspace bulletin from Pearl Jam regarding annoucement of their European tour for this year - seems as tho Reading and Leeds (and dublin) will be the only place to see them in the UK on this tour...so make the most of it !! - as there is only one other festival in the list..looks like it was quite a coup to get them to play the CW

Pearl Jam has announced the European dates of their 2006 worldwide tour. Six

years since the band's last visit to Europe, Pearl Jam will return --

kicking off on August 23 in Dublin, Ireland and touring through September 25

in Vienna, Austria.

A Ten Club ticket pre-sale opportunity for eligible members will be

announced very soon! Stay posted to www.pearljam.com for details.

PEARL JAM'S 2006 EUROPEAN TOUR DATES ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Aug 23 in Dublin, Ireland at The Point

Aug 25* in Leeds, UK at Leeds Festival

Aug 27* in Reading, UK at Reading Festival

Aug 29 in Arnhem, Netherlands at Geldredome

Aug 30 in Antwerp, Belgium at Sportpaleis

Sept 2 in Vitoria, Spain at Azkena Rock Festival

Sept 4 in Lisbon, Portugal at Atlantico Pavillion

Sept 5 in Lisbon, Portugal at Atlantico Pavillion

Sept 9 in Marseille, France at Le Dome

Sept 11 in Paris, France at Bercy

Sept 13 in Bern, Switzerland at Arena

Sept 14 in Bologna, Italy at Palamalaguti

Sept 16 in Verona, Italy at Arena

Sept 17 in Milan, Italy at Forum

Sept 19 in Torino, Italy at Palaisozaki

Sept 20 in Pistoia, Italy at Duomo Square

Sept 23 in Berlin, Germany at Wuhlheide

Sept 25 in Vienna, Austria at Stadthalle

* Tickets currently on sale through these festivals.

Additional concert dates and opening acts for Pearl Jam's European tour will

be announced in the coming weeks.

Ticket prices and on sale information will be released by local markets.

Pearl Jams 2006 worldwide tour is in support of the bands new, self-titled

studio record due out May 1 in Europe and May 2 in North America. The first

single off of Pearl Jam's forthcoming album, "World Wide Suicide", is at its

sixth week in the top five of the U.S. modern rock radio charts. Pearl Jam's

new album has already received a 4-star review in Rolling Stone and a 5-star

review in Kerrang.

Edited by Reading Local