Way Out West 2024

ParanoidTourist

• 1 month later...

I was actually thinking of making a comeback and going to WOW for the first time in many many years. But the lineup doesn't suit me at all, unfortunately. Maybe there will be something in the future that will make me reconsider.
It's a bit of a bummer that it's so weak this year when it has been very good in the past. Last summer's lineup was top class.

32 minutes ago, UnBiloTitled said:

I was actually thinking of making a comeback and going to WOW for the first time in many many years. But the lineup doesn't suit me at all, unfortunately. Maybe there will be something in the future that will make me reconsider.
It's a bit of a bummer that it's so weak this year when it has been very good in the past. Last summer's lineup was top class.

For me it's the opposite. I think this is the best WOW-line up in at least a decade. I'm especially keen on seeing Queens of the stone age, The Smile, PJ Harvey, Pulp, the National, Slow Dive and Big Thief.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

For me it's the opposite. I think this is the best WOW-line up in at least a decade. I'm especially keen on seeing Queens of the stone age, The Smile, PJ Harvey, Pulp, the National, Slow Dive and Big Thief.

Same for me, I think this year is shaping up to be maybe the strongest year since around 2012-2014, back then this festival was generally more enjoyable for me. 

And especially considering they have only announced around 15 acts so far. Many more names to be added including the entire Stay out West lineup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Nothing wrong with that. After all, music is objective. I understand that many people think it's a good lineup. I have more or less only read people who have praised WOW's lineup this year. 
So maybe that says more about me, than about the lineup  😅

13 hours ago, UnBiloTitled said:

Funny, it’s the lineup of the year for me, really. 

On 2/21/2024 at 10:54 AM, ParanoidTourist said:

They have announced the day splits now. Thursday looks best for my taste: QOTSA, PJ Harvey, Big Thief and The Smile. 

Also, it looks like one more big band could fit on Saturday since the National is the only "big" artist that plays that day. 

What a lineup they have so far! Thursday looks fantastic! 

2 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I agree! The Thursday alone makes it worth attending. Also they haven't announced that many so far so I think there's good chances for more nice bands.

Yep! Even with what they've announced till now, there are more bands that get me truly excited here than the entire RW lineup (which is quite shocking for me).

This festival was a serious contender for us this year (as was Øya in Oslo - you may look there for some future add-ons to WoW) but we couldn't be in Sweden or Norway on those dates unfortunately. 

For my taste, festivals in Scandinavia and France seem to have the best lineups this year. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Yep! Even with what they've announced till now, there are more bands that get me truly excited here than the entire RW lineup (which is quite shocking for me).

This festival was a serious contender for us this year (as was Øya in Oslo - you may look there for some future add-ons to WoW) but we couldn't be in Sweden or Norway on those dates unfortunately. 

For my taste, festivals in Scandinavia and France seem to have the best lineups this year. 

Hopefully you can do it another year instead. I agree about the line up vs RW (which surprised me too being a long-time Werchter fan). But judging from neighboring festivals WoW might get the likes of Fountaines DC, Idles, the Kills, Yard Act etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYA I have been to Idles+Ditz show in Stockholm a few days ago and we were forbidden to bring almost anything into the venue (including any kind of bags and water in plastic bottles), security checks were pretty accurate and there was a delimited bar area, far from the stage, where we were allowed to drink. The venue informed us about these new restrictions stated by the Sweden Police in November 2023.

Luckily the security guys under the stage gave us sips of water from the bottles all the concert long, but at the end of Idles set we still were thirsty as hell (Ditz started at 19.30 and Idles finished at 22.55 and we only had one beer before 7 pm).

I might be wrong but I can imagine something similar will happen at the festival too.

48 minutes ago, gigi21 said:

FYA I have been to Idles+Ditz show in Stockholm a few days ago and we were forbidden to bring almost anything into the venue (including any kind of bags and water in plastic bottles), security checks were pretty accurate and there was a delimited bar area, far from the stage, where we were allowed to drink. The venue informed us about these new restrictions stated by the Sweden Police in November 2023.

Luckily the security guys under the stage gave us sips of water from the bottles all the concert long, but at the end of Idles set we still were thirsty as hell (Ditz started at 19.30 and Idles finished at 22.55 and we only had one beer before 7 pm).

I might be wrong but I can imagine something similar will happen at the festival too.

Thanks for the info! I think the ban on bags will also include festivals but as far as I know there is no official ban on bringing drinks to the stage. I was at a football game in Stockholm a few weeks ago and there you could bring beer into the arena (but no bags) so hopefully we can still drink beer in front of the stage at WOW. 

• Like 1