Tramlines 2024

sheffinghell

On 3/5/2024 at 11:37 PM, sheffinghell said:

This is surely good news to hear for the locals that it'll be well looked after while ever the festival is located there.

From what I've seen since last year's absolute washout the park has recovered pretty well. Of all the years we've attended it's never been as bad as it was last year and doubt it will be that bad again for while (cue this year being just as bad 😅).

3 hours ago, karlnuttall said:

This is surely good news to hear for the locals that it'll be well looked after while ever the festival is located there.

From what I've seen since last year's absolute washout the park has recovered pretty well. Of all the years we've attended it's never been as bad as it was last year and doubt it will be that bad again for while (cue this year being just as bad 😅).

It is, although the council could probably have bargained a bit harder. The 10k pa is equivalent to only 25p a ticket. I'm pleased it's staying in the park, as I doubt they'd stay in Sheffield without it. Nowhere else of a similar capacity with good transport links. 

Interestingly, I saw a financial news piece recently from last summer, from just before Tramlines and Bluedot were washed out, saying Superstruct was going up for sale, but seems to be nothing since then. I guess they're trying to put the business back on a more solid/profitable footing (following some dire repair costs), and with decent levels of goodwill before they try again.

58 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

It is, although the council could probably have bargained a bit harder. The 10k pa is equivalent to only 25p a ticket. I'm pleased it's staying in the park, as I doubt they'd stay in Sheffield without it. Nowhere else of a similar capacity with good transport links. 

Interestingly, I saw a financial news piece recently from last summer, from just before Tramlines and Bluedot were washed out, saying Superstruct was going up for sale, but seems to be nothing since then. I guess they're trying to put the business back on a more solid/profitable footing (following some dire repair costs), and with decent levels of goodwill before they try again.

With turnover of £140m on the last published accounts I doubt the repairs to Hillsborough Park would be a huge dent.

52 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

With turnover of £140m on the last published accounts I doubt the repairs to Hillsborough Park would be a huge dent.

Revenues are strong, but profit after tax declared at £1m for 2022, and losses in 20/21 due to covid. Bluedot will have cost them some degree of ticket refunds too. Interestingly, their accounts state that large venue availability (and associated costs) is a major risk for them, so they will be pleased to have renewed at Hillsborough.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of minor clashes for me, but nothing disastrous. Will probably see half each of the Charlatans and Paolo, and will skip most of Snow Patrol and Pigeons in favour of Yard Act and Human League. Pleased to see the Mysterines on the Leadmill stage as the timings usually slot between the 2 bigger stages.

On 4/4/2024 at 6:19 PM, sheffinghell said:

A couple of minor clashes for me, but nothing disastrous. Will probably see half each of the Charlatans and Paolo, and will skip most of Snow Patrol and Pigeons in favour of Yard Act and Human League. Pleased to see the Mysterines on the Leadmill stage as the timings usually slot between the 2 bigger stages.

My clashes same as yours.  Gutted that Charlatans and Paolo clashing but will go with The Charlatans.   Probably split my time between Yard Act and Snow Patrol unless the weather is same as last year !

Seeing the splits shows even more how incredibly weak the Saturday is. 

55 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

And the general public agrees... Saturday tickets are still on Tier 1 at only £45. They'll likely be giving them away nearer the time, like they did with Ashcroft last year 

1 hour ago, sheffinghell said:

And the general public agrees... Saturday tickets are still on Tier 1 at only £45. They'll likely be giving them away nearer the time, like they did with Ashcroft last year 

Not surprised there are day tickets left.  I usually hunt out some new bands but done my research and there is nothing on offer so for first time I may not go down until later, or just go for a few beers in Hillsborough. 

For same price I can go and see the Blossoms gig in August with them, Shed 7, Inhaler and The K's which is a belting line up.

On 4/4/2024 at 6:07 PM, sheffinghell said:

Screenshot_20240404-180623.png

3 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

My clashes same as yours.  Gutted that Charlatans and Paolo clashing but will go with The Charlatans.   Probably split my time between Yard Act and Snow Patrol unless the weather is same as last year !

It's just generally not a very good lineup. Tom Grennan is the best thing on there for me and that's selling poor So what does that say.

59 minutes ago, TheDHolford said:

Did a clashfinder based on last years times, so presume it will be pretty similar. A strong Friday, very weak Saturday, and half decent Sunday for me, if I decide to do the weekend. 

https://clashfinder.com/s/tramlines2024/

Cheers for that. Confirms what I was already thinking.

Tramlines organisers - if you're checking this out, please try not to clash the main comedy act with the main stage special guest. Also,  a bit less of a direct clash on main stage and t'other headliners would be good, especially Sunday, ta!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, karlnuttall said:

https://accessaa.co.uk/superstruct-entertainment-believed-to-be-up-for-sale-this-month/

Will be interesting to see what sort of impact (if any) this has on Tramlines/Truck moving forward.

It was also suggested last year. They've got themselves into position again to make it work, but is it about building from a solid base, or cutting losses, I wonder. Tramlines has recently secured Hillsborough for a further 5 years, which hopefully bodes well.

5 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

It was also suggested last year. They've got themselves into position again to make it work, but is it about building from a solid base, or cutting losses, I wonder. Tramlines has recently secured Hillsborough for a further 5 years, which hopefully bodes well.

All but one of the suggested buyers are 'asset management' investment companies (I.e. not dissimilar to current co-owners). The other is a media company with stakes in Conde Nast, Warner Discovery and Reddit.

2 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

All but one of the suggested buyers are 'asset management' investment companies (I.e. not dissimilar to current co-owners). The other is a media company with stakes in Conde Nast, Warner Discovery and Reddit.

The most interesting thing about Conde Nast as a potential buyer (aside from their money and high end media brands) is that they own Pitchfork. Some symbiosis there could be very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Not strictly Tramliens related, but just seen Sea Girls new tour has them playing Octagon in September.

Can we assume at this point O2 Academy is never re opening and the venue is permanently closed?

Can't believe we've had zero updates since its "temporary" closure last September. At this point, I'm just assuming the whole place was built out of crumbling concrete. 

1 hour ago, thatTFBguy said:

Not strictly Tramliens related, but just seen Sea Girls new tour has them playing Octagon in September.

Can we assume at this point O2 Academy is never re opening and the venue is permanently closed?

Can't believe we've had zero updates since its "temporary" closure last September. At this point, I'm just assuming the whole place was built out of crumbling concrete. 

Wouldn't completely rule it out. Apparently last month they raised objections about the planning for the new proposed shipping container development next door. 

On 4/26/2024 at 8:04 PM, sheffinghell said:

Wouldn't completely rule it out. Apparently last month they raised objections about the planning for the new proposed shipping container development next door. 

Wouldn't rule it out permanently shutting? Strange if they raised an objection to something next door if they don't re open though but suppose that's just covering all bases. 

56 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

Wouldn't rule it out permanently shutting? Strange if they raised an objection to something next door if they don't re open though but suppose that's just covering all bases. 

Was meaning wouldn't rule it out reopening. I would have thought the container park might be good for them - additional food and drinking places, but hey, I'm not the O2, so who knows what they objected. Could be they think it will make it more difficult to sell the site.

In better news, there is a late licence enquiry for a new music venue in Cambridge Street, alongside the new food hall. Won't be as big as the O2, but still handy to have another venue. Based on 15k sq ft mentioned in the article, makes it potentially a similar size to Project House in Leeds.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/consumer/heart-of-the-city-potential-operator-for-music-venue-issues-demand-to-ensure-viability-4606065#Echobox=1714287724