Rock/alternative music at night

richtotheskies

Hello everyone, 

I've returned from my second Glastonbury and loved it just as much as the first. I just wanted to ask is there anywhere at night that plays rock music? I'm not a huge fan of dance music so just wanted to know if there's any alternative places I may have missed.

Thanks, 

There was a bar called The Taphouse, on the walk between West Holts and Leftfield, which had an indie diso most nights.

Also a bar next to BBC Introducing, which did similar on at least one night (and last year as well).

So there are a couple - but I agree, limited compared to the places that cater for all genres of dance music.

the bars around the market place (incl Taphouse as mentioned) seem to play non techno music

but there was not really a place for Rock. I personally think there should be a few more areas covering various types of music. As mentioned loads of times, glasto seems to be almost 80% techno/ DnB based late on.

which is bloody annoying

Edited by bob323
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, bob323 said:

the bars around the market place (incl Taphouse as mentioned) seem to play non techno music

but there was not really a place for Rock. I personally think there should be a few more areas covering various types of music. As mentioned loads of times, glasto seems to be almost 80% techno/ DnB based late on.

which is bloody annoying

There’s definitely room for a more heavily rock themed place like that. Somewhere that just plays your classic rock, metal, punk, pop punk, even cheesy dad rock! Rather than just a few tunes thrown in within an indie night.

1 hour ago, bob323 said:

which is bloody annoying

Yep. Not my thing either and if you want to stay out late there are limited options in comparison 

Problem is, all the places that play something non-dance are small, few and far between, and consequently packed. When you have such huge areas as Arcadia and Iicon given over to the “umcha-umcha”, it does seem unreasonable that there’s nothing of a similar size for rock / indie.

Not a lot. It’s been a low level persistent irritation of mine with Glastonbury for years. It was heightened last year with the Silent Discos disappearing and then further this year with the removal of Williams Green which previously had Motown, Northern Soul, Club de Fromage etc after the headliners finished.

Edited by MEGABOWL
  • Upvote 1

BBC Introducing would be ideal for a late night rock/indie disco - also to help draw people away from SE corner. Surprised they don't utilise that tent after hours tbh, unless I'm wrong and they have something on in there already?

It's criminal the silent discos were removed and never returned to be honest. Used to draw a big crowd in Silver Hayes until the early hours helping with crowding in the SE corner.

Not sure where it would go now though as the levels doesn't feel right for it. Possible Woodsies after the bands?