Trolley Recommendations

HH46810

10 hours ago, sedra said:

We use a version of this fishing trolley- folds down easy but has proper tyres. Only time we had to leave it in car was 2016 as mud was just too deep for a trolley. We usually take essentials first on trolley and leave spare or non essentials in car for 2nd run later or Thursday especially if very muddy. Not sure how it’s fared in the rat infested shed over the winter- will need to give it a hose down, oil up and check they haven’t eaten the tyres! 🙄

IMG_2498.png

Some of the reviews are complaining about broken axles - I assume you've had no problems?

We are considering a fold up one to carry bulky items that don't weigh much like chairs, tents and sleeping bags and i'll be the pack horse with all the booze. Think it'll be okay for that?

9 minutes ago, robahht said:

Some of the reviews are complaining about broken axles - I assume you've had no problems?

We are considering a fold up one to carry bulky items that don't weigh much like chairs, tents and sleeping bags and i'll be the pack horse with all the booze. Think it'll be okay for that?

Yes that’s what we use it for - I take spare pins in case they break but it’s lasted at least 8 festivals 

On 4/16/2024 at 9:18 AM, BagpussSeesAllThings said:

Do these sort of sack trucks survive well at Glasto? I've never used one before but this looks pretty durable, could be completely wrong though.

spacer.png

I can highly recommend that style as I have been using one for countless festivals over the years, read on.

On 4/16/2024 at 9:20 AM, EavisAintDead said:

You can't pull these ones with the weirdly angled handles - the P handle variant is far more versatile, can be pushed or pulled

My current one has lasted 4 festivals with no issues so yes - pretty hardy

Of course you can pull them, what difference does an P shape handle make?

Anyway, I bought and converted a commonly manufactured trolley (pictured by Bag Puss) about 15 years ago and it's still going strong. I made a couple of custom shelves with the bottom one to perfectly fit a crate. The young boy and young lad are one and the same, my son, who inherited the trolley as I built one from scratch for reasons of getting unfit.
As all the weight is over the wheels and the wheels are really big it's extremely easy to push.
It's held together by long 5mm nuts and bolts so I can dismantle it and flat pack it to the boot of my car.

image.thumb.jpeg.71050ce8d71f81312522ce1c6716ca8a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4e3ca4e6cd9be6958e8ca14ee280543c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5292b42e4d48663c273771ec036c9767.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.43a4cd5b58acd43d7d5ab32c4894e306.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0b865dc74f9ad8ade3762f1bdc2b3ca9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d8a8e10bd063d1bc3ef94a3f474af63d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fc5147b3428dec91216a42b472b178bd.jpeg

Edited by Staberinde
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Staberinde said:

I can highly recommend that style as I have been using one for countless festivals over the years, read on.

Anyway, I bought and converted a commonly manufactured trolley (pictured by Bag Puss) about 15 years ago and it's still going strong. I made a couple of custom shelves with the bottom one to perfectly fit a crate. The young boy and young lad are one and the same, my son, who inherited the trolley as I built one from scratch for reasons of getting unfit.
As all the weight is over the wheels and the wheels are really big it's extremely easy to push.
It's held together by long 5mm nuts and bolts so I can dismantle it and flat pack it to the boot of my car.

image.thumb.jpeg.71050ce8d71f81312522ce1c6716ca8a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4e3ca4e6cd9be6958e8ca14ee280543c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5292b42e4d48663c273771ec036c9767.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.43a4cd5b58acd43d7d5ab32c4894e306.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0b865dc74f9ad8ade3762f1bdc2b3ca9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d8a8e10bd063d1bc3ef94a3f474af63d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fc5147b3428dec91216a42b472b178bd.jpeg

Fabulous use of shelf brackets. The bottom added section is of your own making. Is it pop riveted together?

As for the 4th photo down - is that seriously one load!? What kind of a beast of a man are you!? That's a seriously insane load. 

I once had a one wheeled version of this to use at glastonbury;

What is the best wheelbarrow for equestrian yards? - KnowledgeBase | Equine  Supplements, Yard Equipment, Wormers and Supplies

It was fully loaded to about twice the height of the wheelbarrow top rim, and then some. As I 'drove' it upto the ticket checking point, a steward congratulated me. He went onto indicate that I was in second place as to the loads they'd seen that day. Apparently someone who had entered before me had outdone me, by popping an untethered young child on the very top of it all - the child bouncing around and all that, I suspect. 

All that said, I bow down to the lunatic load you've shown us all. 

14 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Fabulous use of shelf brackets. The bottom added section is of your own making. Is it pop riveted together?

As for the 4th photo down - is that seriously one load!? What kind of a beast of a man are you!? That's a seriously insane load. 

I once had a one wheeled version of this to use at glastonbury;

What is the best wheelbarrow for equestrian yards? - KnowledgeBase | Equine  Supplements, Yard Equipment, Wormers and Supplies

It was fully loaded to about twice the height of the wheelbarrow top rim, and then some. As I 'drove' it upto the ticket checking point, a steward congratulated me. He went onto indicate that I was in second place as to the loads they'd seen that day. Apparently someone who had entered before me had outdone me, by popping an untethered young child on the very top of it all - the child bouncing around and all that, I suspect. 

All that said, I bow down to the lunatic load you've shown us all. 

The shelf brackets. I drilled small holes and used self tapping screws, worked fine, but pop rivets would've probably worked better.

If you're referring to the trolley on the right with the hathersack on we were at a toilet stop, so my friend was in the loo leaving their hathersack on the trolley.

Even when fully loaded you balance the weight over the wheels so it's not that hard to push. But of course it's when you get to mud the trouble starts.

The trolley you show looks a good contender, seems like it has decent wheels even for mud. On my scratch built one because the wheels are so large, the lever principle comes into effect and mud hardly makes a difference.

22 minutes ago, Staberinde said:

If you're referring to the trolley on the right with the hathersack on we were at a toilet stop, so my friend was in the loo leaving their hathersack on the trolley.

Now, that makes much more sense. I had imagined that you were some sort of Conan the Barbarian type figure. 

• Like 1

Hiya! Can somebody(s) clever and experienced in the ways of trolleys help me out with a trolley recommendation for my needs this year please?

Essentially I have bought a tent which I think is going to be quite awkward to carry in, and going with somebody who isn’t as keen to just carry everything, as I normally would.

Not planning to overload it, will still have our bags on our back, but looking for something that I can put the tent (pic below) on, a couple of crates of beer and maybe a small bag on top. Because of the shape of the tent am thinking something upright, but any help welcomed! 

I’m pretty useless DIY wise, I can understand taking spare wheels etc, but looking for something that works as is as opposed to something needing modification..

Thanks!!

BA197FC4-16DE-487E-8EED-6BB63C05595B.webp

On 5/1/2024 at 6:04 PM, Staberinde said:

You can pull the P handle ones one handed because the handle is in the middle of the trolley, you have to pull the two handled ones with two hands behind you which, for me, is less comfortable 

I'm not quite as talented as you but I do have a bottom plate extension 

image.jpeg.a6a29d04346c3cd96123f999cfce541d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.95a1e2a9ee0c27808c6b12059c6b7937.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@EavisAintDead  +1 from me on the ease of pulling the P-handle

I've always wondered if the P-type trollies could be pulled horzontally (assuming not too much weight is near the P handle/ top)  with a rope connected?

This year I will be getting a lift in a car that will not have room for my trolley, so I'm toying with the idea of cutting the trolly in two and using some sturdy pipes (+ a few screws) to reconnect the two halfs back together - so that I can fit it in the car

Edited by bob323

On 5/7/2024 at 5:30 PM, king_oxymoron said:

Hiya! Can somebody(s) clever and experienced in the ways of trolleys help me out with a trolley recommendation for my needs this year please?

Essentially I have bought a tent which I think is going to be quite awkward to carry in, and going with somebody who isn’t as keen to just carry everything, as I normally would.

Not planning to overload it, will still have our bags on our back, but looking for something that I can put the tent (pic below) on, a couple of crates of beer and maybe a small bag on top. Because of the shape of the tent am thinking something upright, but any help welcomed! 

I’m pretty useless DIY wise, I can understand taking spare wheels etc, but looking for something that works as is as opposed to something needing modification..

Thanks!!

BA197FC4-16DE-487E-8EED-6BB63C05595B.webp

This type or even the P handle type, they will last forever. 

TL21111-40.webp