Great Escape 2023

About Today

Anyone attending The Great Escape this week? 

Always happy to have any recommendations for Friday/Saturday as I haven't gone through the whole lineup for once. 

Any good post punk or post rock people planning to see? Anything else people are excited about is definitely welcome too!

Sorry, didn't see this while I was there! Have to say, I much preferred the stuff I saw on the Alt Escape, the Great Escape line-up seemed quite heavily skewed towards pop and electronic genre's. Elsewhere is the country I would get, but Brighton has an amazing young Punk scene, it was a shame that more of it wasn't showcased.

The other thing that annoyed me was the huge number of terrible industry people with delegate passes. I haven't seen it that bad before. Some crowds were horrible and they packed venues so much with these people that normal ticket holders couldn't get into lots of the gigs. It needs a re-think.

Really enjoyed Snayx, Monakis, Electric Cowboy Club, Snake Eyes, Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers, congratulations, C.O.F.F.I.N, Arxx, Vlure and Alien Chicks.

I didn't see any post rock but a lot of excellent guitar based music including punk, metal, and jazz/math rock  I agree there is more pop and hip hop these days but that reflects popular tastes. I am partial to a bit of electronic music so it was good to see a "themed" night at St Marys Church.

I really enjoyed Haley Blais, Arxx, Hotwax, Coach Party, The Heavy Heavy, Annie Taylor, Ellevator, Eat Your Heart Out, Civic, Plantoid and Traams. I'm not sure there were more delegates than normal but I was told bouncers were holding back queues when there was still plenty of room inside  to "give the delegates a chance to get there" which is not ok!

• Like 1

I happened to be in Brighton last Weds eve so went along to an Alt escape opening night at Green Store Door. Really enjoyed it, some good new discoveries (Porchlight & Maximilian) along with a great set from Modern Woman who I’ve seen 3 times now, and Keg headlining who I kept missing at festivals last year 

Edited by mario man

On 5/15/2023 at 4:04 PM, Gingerfish79 said:

Sorry, didn't see this while I was there! Have to say, I much preferred the stuff I saw on the Alt Escape, the Great Escape line-up seemed quite heavily skewed towards pop and electronic genre's. Elsewhere is the country I would get, but Brighton has an amazing young Punk scene, it was a shame that more of it wasn't showcased.

The other thing that annoyed me was the huge number of terrible industry people with delegate passes. I haven't seen it that bad before. Some crowds were horrible and they packed venues so much with these people that normal ticket holders couldn't get into lots of the gigs. It needs a re-think.

Really enjoyed Snayx, Monakis, Electric Cowboy Club, Snake Eyes, Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers, congratulations, C.O.F.F.I.N, Arxx, Vlure and Alien Chicks.

Interesting..... I thought the alt escape was heavily skewed towards guitar bands generally whereas the main bill was more balanced with a bit of everything! It's one of the things I like about Great Escape...the sheer variety of acts on offer. We saw indie, post-punk, soul, hip-hop, pop, electronic dance, folk etc. 36 full performances on a normal ticket 🙂