was just wondering if there is anything that can be done to limit / prevent the spam thats been hitting the site for a few weeks now .... I keep reporting it and you deleting it but surely prevention is better than you spending time having to delete it ? 

30 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

was just wondering if there is anything that can be done to limit / prevent the spam thats been hitting the site for a few weeks now .... I keep reporting it and you deleting it but surely prevention is better than you spending time having to delete it ? 

you don't like the solution of ip blocks

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

its not working ? given the amount of spam recently ?

i've not put many new blocks in place because you complain about them.

IP blocking isn't the solution, it's just a case of limiting new accounts until they have shown they are trustworthy, really can't understand why you won't do this. BTW there are several "airline" spam posts in the Reading forum at the moment so that will give you a bit more work to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

IP blocking isn't the solution, it's just a case of limiting new accounts until they have shown they are trustworthy, really can't understand why you won't do this. BTW there are several "airline" spam posts in the Reading forum at the moment so that will give you a bit more work to do.

Indeed, those I've seen in the last couple of weeks create an account and then create 4 or 5 posts within then first hour or so. 

really can't understand why you won't do this.

cos genuine new users usually sign up wanting to post, there are some restrictions on  new accounts, but stopping them posting is not a restriction i'll be adding.

BTW there are several "airline" spam posts in the Reading forum at the moment so that will give you a bit more work to do.

please use the report button to report the posts.

11 hours ago, Neil said:

cos genuine new users usually sign up wanting to post, there are some restrictions on  new accounts, but stopping them posting is not a restriction i'll be adding.

please use the report button to report the posts.

You don't need to stop them posting to an existing thread, I would imagine most new users want to respond to something they have seen rather than create a brand new thread, It's quite simple, ask new users to introduce themselves in the "new members" section, then limit them to one new thread in the first week, that way they get to post and you don't get anything like as much spam, plenty of other forums have systems like this, allowing people (or bots) to sign up and post multiple new threads is stupid.

On 5/3/2023 at 7:53 PM, Neil said:

you don't like the solution of ip blocks

looks like i probably got them, as there's not been a spam attack for a few days. fingers crossed i haven't just jinxed it.