RenegadeTwink

Hi Everyone,

Long time viewer, first time writing in.

I have been offered and accepted a role in Crew Catering at this years festival and I am so excited to be down there for the duration. Just wondering if there is any CC veterans or experienced people who can give me any tips to ensure it's as stress free as possible as we are down there from May till July.

1. Are we allowed access to the festival on our off time?
  2. What are the typical hours?
  3. How often is the pay days?
  4. How big is the team?
  5. Are we allowed to get deliveries of goods during the build if my camp bed dies etc? (Eg: Amazon)
  6. What local facilities are in walking distance as I don't drive.
  7. Do we get access to electricity to charge phones? I am worried about keeping in touch with my family and friends during my off time.
  8. What is the laundry situation, it says we get access to it but how does it work. Do we get access to washing machines or is there a laundry service? Sounds daft but need to know I need to pack my own laundry detergent. 

I am aware that some of these questions will be probably answered closer to the time but it would be handy for planning purposes to know and I don't want to bug the team with questions I can probably get answered here. 

If you want to message instead of replying i'm okay with that. 

Thanks in advance.

June5th2017_Site_45.jpg

I'll answer what I can:

1. Are we allowed access to the festival on our off time? - YES
  2. What local facilities are in walking distance as I don't drive - NOTHING OF USE, every thing you need is onsite
  3. Do we get access to electricity to charge phones? I am worried about keeping in touch with my family and friends during my off time. - ALMOST CERTAINLY
  4. What is the laundry situation, it says we get access to it but how does it work. Do we get access to washing machines or is there a laundry service? Sounds daft but need to know I need to pack my own laundry detergent. - THERE ARE WASHING MACHINES BY THE FARM, probably best to take your own detergent.

You'll be well looked after.

I've never worked crew catering, but some of the questions the answer is universal.

1. Yes. Even if they wanted to (which they don't), they couldn't stop you short of imposing a Boomtown style POW camp situation. Crew catering is bang in the middle of the site so you're very much in and around the festival.

5. No, at least not without special permission which you're exceptionally unlikely to get unless it's so far in advance that the gates are dead. Realistically you'd have to get it delivered to a locker off-site and get someone to collect it or somehow make the trip yourself.

6. Pilton village with a pub, cafe, and a very small Co-op. Then another pub a shade further away at Sticklinch (the village, not the festival camping field). Beyond that, depends on your idea of walking distance but Google Maps will have the answers.

7. Can't say 100% for GFL Crew Catering, but yes for every crew I've ever worked for or am aware of. It's pretty much standard - though plugging devices other than phones/tablets/ and especially high draw stuff would likely make you very unpopular.

Regarding the above - Given you're there well in advance, and especially before the Monday of show week, it's extremely likely that people in your crew will be heading out on runs to the local supermarkets at various times. So you should be able to bunk in with them or ask them to pick something up if needed.

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I'll answer what I can:

1. Are we allowed access to the festival on our off time? - YES
  2. What local facilities are in walking distance as I don't drive - NOTHING OF USE, every thing you need is onsite
  3. Do we get access to electricity to charge phones? I am worried about keeping in touch with my family and friends during my off time. - ALMOST CERTAINLY
  4. What is the laundry situation, it says we get access to it but how does it work. Do we get access to washing machines or is there a laundry service? Sounds daft but need to know I need to pack my own laundry detergent. - THERE ARE WASHING MACHINES BY THE FARM, probably best to take your own detergent.

You'll be well looked after.

Thank you :)

7 minutes ago, incident said:

I've never worked crew catering, but some of the questions the answer is universal.

1. Yes. Even if they wanted to (which they don't), they couldn't stop you short of imposing a Boomtown style POW camp situation. Crew catering is bang in the middle of the site so you're very much in and around the festival.

5. No, at least not without special permission which you're exceptionally unlikely to get unless it's so far in advance that the gates are dead. Realistically you'd have to get it delivered to a locker off-site and get someone to collect it or somehow make the trip yourself.

6. Pilton village with a pub, cafe, and a very small Co-op. Then another pub a shade further away at Sticklinch (the village, not the festival camping field). Beyond that, depends on your idea of walking distance but Google Maps will have the answers.

7. Can't say 100% for GFL Crew Catering, but yes for every crew I've ever worked for or am aware of. It's pretty much standard - though plugging devices other than phones/tablets/ and especially high draw stuff would likely make you very unpopular.

Regarding the above - Given you're there well in advance, and especially before the Monday of show week, it's extremely likely that people in your crew will be heading out on runs to the local supermarkets at various times. So you should be able to bunk in with them or ask them to pick something up if needed.

Thank you 🙂

5 hours ago, RenegadeTwink said:

How often is the pay days?

Always used to be cash weekly for general crew, and I presume crew catering, but I'm going back to the 90's with this info.

It was paid in Goose Hall (crew catering), you'd wait in a line for your turn, onetime it was ME himself handing over the cash.

20 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Always used to be cash weekly for general crew, and I presume crew catering, but I'm going back to the 90's with this info.

It was paid in Goose Hall (crew catering), you'd wait in a line for your turn, onetime it was ME himself handing over the cash.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Neil said:

You could have mentioned that he could aim the more detailed questions at his job manager.

I don't want to be annoying them with the questions, when realistically theres people on here that could answer them. as said in my OP.  

But thanks for the reply. 

3 minutes ago, RenegadeTwink said:

I don't want to be annoying them with the questions, when realistically theres people on here that could answer them. as said in my OP.  

But thanks for the reply. 

Someone like skip can only pass on what they know, and it has the possibility of being incorrect,your manager is probably best placed to give you the definitive answer.