Beautiful days-esque Festival recommendations

ShuMart

Can anyone recommend any other family friendly festivals with a similar vibe to Beautiful days? 

Having taken our kids many times (who are 9 & 11) we were thinking of doing a couple new festivals this year. A few had caught my eye, The great estate, End of the Road and Bearded theory. Anyone been to these? I was wondering how they compare.

Bearded Theory is pretty much the same as Beautiful Days, except with:

- Music on the Thursday
- No hills
- Better and cheaper Beer*
- (usually) no Levellers

For my taste Bearded is the better of the two, for all the above reasons, but others may disagree.

*admittedly this one may change, and possibly more about the festival, if the new owners think they can increase profits.

Not looked at Womad before. looks good from a quick read, and its in the school holidays which is a bonus.

The fact Bearded theory will require taking the kids out of school is the main sticking point for me, otherwise it ticks all the boxes. I'll have to see how I get on with Glastonbury tickets Sunday, If I don't get them I may take them out of school for Bearded theory.

Thanks for the recommendations

2 hours ago, ShuMart said:

Can anyone recommend any other family friendly festivals with a similar vibe to Beautiful days? 

Having taken our kids many times (who are 9 & 11) we were thinking of doing a couple new festivals this year. A few had caught my eye, The great estate, End of the Road and Bearded theory. Anyone been to these? I was wondering how they compare.

We have done Beautiful Days and Bearded Theory several times with our now 7 year old daughter. Really enjoyed both although found Bearded was a little bit easier as its a smaller site. Lots of kid friendly stuff and the crowd itself is generally very laid back...think there is a big crossover between the BD and BT crowds.

There is an OFSTED registered school on the Friday but places tend to go very quickly (believe registration opens on 1st Jan this year). We don't normally bother though to be honest, you only really need them out of school for two days (Monday being a bank holiday) or if you live close enough I tend to go set up Thursday and the other half and babby come down Friday. 

As somebody has already said would caveat with BT now being under new ownership so could change massively, although if that is the case hopefully it will be incremental changes rather than all in one go. 

Edited by Flaminglippy

On 11/1/2022 at 4:09 PM, Flaminglippy said:

As somebody has already said would caveat with BT now being under new ownership so could change massively, although if that is the case hopefully it will be incremental changes rather than all in one go. 

I worry about this tbh....

• Upvote 1