Roskilde 2023

mln

6 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

I still think there are many big name slots remaining to be announced.
Going by the info on the website itself of already announced bands it looks like this so far:

Wednesday
Orange: ???, ???, ???
Arena: Queens Of The Stone Age, Fever Ray

Thursday
Orange: Burna Boy, Lil Nas X, Tove Lo
Arena: Central Cee, ???

Friday
Orange: Blur, Christine And The Queens, ???
Arena: Rosalia, ???

Saturday
Orange: ???, ???, ???
Arena: ???, ???

Can probably fill two of those top headliner slots with Arctic Monkeys and Kendrick Lamar. Maybe LDR in Arena.

The fact that they are getting QOTSA and Rosalia, two pretty big names who could easily be doing Orange, to be headlining the 2nd stage is a huge get. Especially when last year they had Chvrches, Biffy Clyro and The Smile in roughly the same slots.

I also agree that having Rosalia and QOTSA, that are headlining festivals all over Europe, to play in Arena is a huge benefit as it means that the Orange stage will get more big artists.

As for the remaining days my guess would be:

Orange: one Danish rapper (there are already 2 confirmed at Orange stage, just need to know the days), Kendrick Lamar and maybe Stromae? 
Arena: Queens Of The Stone Age, Fever Ray

Thursday
Orange: Burna Boy, Lil Nas X, Tove Lo
Arena: Central Cee, FKA Twigs? 

Friday
Orange: Blur, Christine And The Queens, ???
Arena: Rosalia, some big Danish artists as it usual to have a big Danish artist at Arena of Fridays

Saturday
Orange: I think it will be a day to have a lot of female artists as all the days before are full of male bands. My guess would be something like Lana del Rey? SZA? Or even Bjork and Billie Eilish? + another Danish artist  
Arena: Stormzy is playing Rock Werchter could be a good artist to have 

On 2/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, davidoffescassi said:

Primavera Sound, even having a weak lineup compared to other years, still has a number of artists who years ago could go to Roskilde, and it seems that today it is impossible.They continue to bring those metal, rock, indie, and electronic jewels. Where is the electronic music in Roskilde?

For example, bands that go to Primavera and years ago could fit in Roskilde : Darkside, The War on Drugs, Boris,  Le Tigre, Built to Spill, Black Country New Road, Swans, Bad Religion, The Comet is Coming, Brutalismus 3000, Ascendant Vierge, The Moldy Peaches, Nation of Language, Unwound, Come, Karate, The Mars Volta, Ghost, Four Tet, My Morning Jacket, Fka Twigs, Gilla Band, John Cale... 

Where is that kind of artist? People want more of it, and less Central Cee's. This is a pretty expensive festival, and the line-up is packed with a bunch of unknown artists for the majority of festival goers, hyped artist from tiktok, and a few interesting bands. 

Biggest problem to me with this line up is the medium names. Having Christine and the Queens as a headliner here (10th name of her day on PS) is simply a political move. They are more focused in their "diversity, equality" and all that political stuff than having a powerfull line-up. 

And once again, WHERE IS THE ELECTRONIC MUSIC? You have touring on those dates bands like M83 or Rufus du Sol...

I guess it’s the “new normal” of the festivals, basically all the festivals are getting more commercial, have you said 5 years ago that Calvin Harris would headline Primavera Sound people would be laughing at you, but in 2023 its normal. The problem is that Primavera then compensated with other names, whilst Roskilde is following this “new normal” thing too much. After seeing Blur at Roskilde I gained some hopes that the festival would mix new and old genres good, so let’s wait and see, we still have 2 days that are missing a lot of artists, and the Lil Nas and Blur days are still going to give us some surprises (maybe good ones), and I think this lineup is shaping to be better than the 2022 one, although I agree that up until 2019 the lineups used to be much more diverse and better (my opinion), it’s just the new post corona times that we need to get used to. 

Edited by festivalguy97

All Roskilde posters tend to look amazing when you look back. Someone praised the 2018 line up. I can assure you that a lot of people in Denmark thought it was the worst Line Up ever. It is the same every year. A lot of complaining that it is the worst Line-up ever - Then the schedule drops and everyone hates the clashes - then when people look back they think it is amazing😅 Let's judge the line up when the rest of the names drop - Could be as soon as late February. 

And just to be clear: I am not just a fanboy. It is just how it tends to go historically. I personally hated the recent release of names. Still the poster could bring in Kendrick Lamar, Sigur Ros, Stromae, Iggy Pop, Black country new road, Fred Again (again), The prodigy (on the Arena stage maybe! Could be cool) and so many other names not yet announced in any festival in Denmark. 

43 minutes ago, jonathansoegaard said:

All Roskilde posters tend to look amazing when you look back. Someone praised the 2018 line up. I can assure you that a lot of people in Denmark thought it was the worst Line Up ever. It is the same every year. A lot of complaining that it is the worst Line-up ever - Then the schedule drops and everyone hates the clashes - then when people look back they think it is amazing😅 Let's judge the line up when the rest of the names drop - Could be as soon as late February. 

And just to be clear: I am not just a fanboy. It is just how it tends to go historically. I personally hated the recent release of names. Still the poster could bring in Kendrick Lamar, Sigur Ros, Stromae, Iggy Pop, Black country new road, Fred Again (again), The prodigy (on the Arena stage maybe! Could be cool) and so many other names not yet announced in any festival in Denmark. 

Agree on the artists that you mentioned that are still to come, I think most of them will come, specially Kendrick, Stromae, Fred Again. 

Also true that no matter how good is the lineup they always fuck up with the schedules and you cannot see even half of what you wanted initially, so the worse the lineup the least clashes you have to chose from 😂

Edited by festivalguy97

BTW, im a long-time lurker but first time poster on eFests.
I'm from the UK but have lived in Copenhagen for the past 5 years; have been to Roskilde several times; always getting train back and forth each day/night to the capital.

More than happy to answer any questions about Roskilde & Copenhagen etc if anyone has them!

Edited by FrogLobster

5 hours ago, jonathansoegaard said:

I don't agree that Roskilde's line-ups "get better" over time. There are years that have been very good, and others not so good, but my criticism does not go there. In the end, they were quite balanced line-ups musically, and you always had the feeling that they have very special and unique acts, very rare to see in other music festivals, from massive headliners (Eminem, Rolling Stones, Bruno Mars) to things like Chelsea Wolfe & Converge last year. 

What do I think is "special" this year? Armand Hammer and Billy Woods in the hip-hop area is something new and fresh, and Alice Glass is not doing many dates this year, specially at festivals. Beside those names, I cannot find something really really great, special, or exclusive and I have spent hours listening all the artist because I really love the vibe on this festival, and I would love to go. But the editorial line, has changed for this "New Normal" shit. 

You said here "Kendrick Lamar, Sigur Ros, Stromae, Iggy Pop, Black country new road, Fred Again (again), The prodigy". Well, I would love to be wrong, but looks like Kendrick Lamar and Stromae could fit on this festival, also Fred Again, but the other names are ruled out due this new editorial line. Why Bon Iver is not playing Roskilde since 2012? The National 2013? Sigur Ros 2013? 

I WOULD LOVE that you will quote this message in the next weeks because they'll add amazing names but I am not optimistic with this situation. 

And, once again, the electronic music on this festival is getting weaker year after year.

Edited by davidoffescassi

1 hour ago, davidoffescassi said:

but the other names are ruled out due this new editorial line. 

Until Roskilde literally says 'we won't book acts like Prodigy, Black Country New Road etc' then I think you are conspiracy theorying their booking policies. There is nothing to imply they won't book those acts you listed. Perfectly possible for them to still play and are hardly that removed from what has been booked this year or last number of festivals. In fact, I would be shocked if Prodigy don't play this year now they are back after a few years break after Keith passed.

In terms of 'special' bookings then you currently have the likes of Blur (who have played Denmark once in the last 20 years, over 10 years ago) and Lil Nas X (Never played Denmark). And as mentioned before some big names in Arena (QOTSA, Rosalia) who could easily be playing higher. And whilst Burna Boy is not my kind of music is still a huge name in his scene.

But lets wait until the full 2023 lineup is out before you pick it apart for not including a dozen bands and artists you specifically want but Roskilde have avoided due to their apparent 'editorial politics'. 😜

Edited by FrogLobster

I will admit that the top end of 2020 Lineup was significantly stronger than 2022 lineup. Its a real shame that Taylor Swift, Deftones, Faith No Mode, FKA Twigs, Thom Yorke solo and Kendrick didn't line up for first year back after lockdown. I think alot of festivals in Europe were weaker last year because of big artists' plans being difficult to map out for their shifted touring cycles. Especially when acts like Taylor typically have next 3 or 4 years locked down.

Edited by FrogLobster

1 hour ago, FrogLobster said:

Until Roskilde literally says 'we won't book acts like Prodigy, Black Country New Road etc' then I think you are conspiracy theorying their booking policies. There is nothing to imply they won't book those acts you listed. Perfectly possible for them to still play and are hardly that removed from what has been booked this year or last number of festivals. In fact, I would be shocked if Prodigy don't play this year now they are back after a few years break after Keith passed.

In terms of 'special' bookings then you currently have the likes of Blur (who have played Denmark once in the last 20 years, over 10 years ago) and Lil Nas X (Never played Denmark). And as mentioned before some big names in Arena (QOTSA, Rosalia) who could easily be playing higher. And whilst Burna Boy is not my kind of music is still a huge name in his scene.

But lets wait until the full 2023 lineup is out before you pick it apart for not including a dozen bands and artists you specifically want but Roskilde have avoided due to their apparent 'editorial politics'. 😜

When I said special act, I meant acts that are rarely doing festival shows on those dates. Blur, Rosalia, QOTSA, Lil Nas X are going to tour this summer in so many festivals. I don't find them very exclusive or something like that. Eminem, Bruno Mars, Kanye West, The Rolling Stones, Drake (lol) Chance the Rapper (lol) were. I'd Roskilde book Frank Ocean on 2023 that would be exclusive to me. 

Regarding conspiracy theory

Roskilde Festival's Head of Programme, Anders Wahrén, explains:

"We want to create a place where there is room for diversity, and we present artists who are progressive. This is the place to go to experience music that you would not normally find at large festivals, side by side with the world's biggest names in pop."

Queer-pop and civil rights

The 2023 edition of Roskilde Festival offers a reunion with the French pop hero Christine and the Queens, who will introduce his new alias, Redcar, when stepping onto the Orange Stage with an immaculately choreographed show.

Similarly, festival-goers can look forward to intelligent queer-pop from Japanese-British artist Rina Sawayama, who already blew away both music critics and the audience at this year's festival with her pulsating beats and grandiose choruses.

It is not a theory. They are so proud to take this direction to their own music festival. You can study the evolution of the festival in line-up terms and you will see it. Of course BCNR could play this year, they are not banned from the festival, was I was trying to say, is a few years ago, 4 bands like BCNR could play on Roskilde, and this year, luckily, will have 1-2. They are getting closer to Coachella than Glastonbury, to say something. 

You keep saying let's wait to the final Line-up and of course, you are right. But we can talk about we have right now, and it seems so clear to me that this is a new reality for the festival. 

Edited by davidoffescassi

On 2/5/2023 at 4:03 AM, festivalguy97 said:

I agree and disagree.

I agree that Roskilde lineups used to be better overall with bigger headliners and the undercard was also amazing, from hip hop to metal everything was good. 

But I disagree that other festivals are better, festivals in general in this post covid era of 2022 and 2023 all seem very dull and forced, even Primavera Sound and Rock Werchter that used to be very good are now having lineups that are not very consistent. In that sense Roskilde is doing the same, but that is a common problem now with festivals in Europe and US, only Glastonbury is keeping it nice with both big and small acts. 

Well, it is also a question of taste in music of course. The youngsters today are maybe super thrilled over the lineup (so far) this year. And if that's the case i'm happy for them because we need a new generation of Roskilde goers. Maybe acts like Central Cee, Glorilla, Denzel Curry and Japanese Breakfast, for example, are massive headline acts world wide in 2029. Who knows.

But on the other hand, going to a festival is becoming more and more a question of economic privilege because of the price it's actually costs to do a full week at a festival now days. Just the ticket (+ add ons for get a place for example) itself are expensive and with that comes a expection of having a superb lineup. And there my opinion is that Roskilde have been a bit sloppy lately. They know that they will sell out no matter what.

Very interesting discussion in this thread here, i must say. And all of you got really good points.

12 hours ago, davidoffescassi said:

I don't agree that Roskilde's line-ups "get better" over time. There are years that have been very good, and others not so good, but my criticism does not go there. In the end, they were quite balanced line-ups musically, and you always had the feeling that they have very special and unique acts, very rare to see in other music festivals, from massive headliners (Eminem, Rolling Stones, Bruno Mars) to things like Chelsea Wolfe & Converge last year. 

What do I think is "special" this year? Armand Hammer and Billy Woods in the hip-hop area is something new and fresh, and Alice Glass is not doing many dates this year, specially at festivals. Beside those names, I cannot find something really really great, special, or exclusive and I have spent hours listening all the artist because I really love the vibe on this festival, and I would love to go. But the editorial line, has changed for this "New Normal" shit. 

You said here "Kendrick Lamar, Sigur Ros, Stromae, Iggy Pop, Black country new road, Fred Again (again), The prodigy". Well, I would love to be wrong, but looks like Kendrick Lamar and Stromae could fit on this festival, also Fred Again, but the other names are ruled out due this new editorial line. Why Bon Iver is not playing Roskilde since 2012? The National 2013? Sigur Ros 2013? 

I WOULD LOVE that you will quote this message in the next weeks because they'll add amazing names but I am not optimistic with this situation. 

And, once again, the electronic music on this festival is getting weaker year after year.

My point was actually in general and not directed at you specifically 🙂. More in general that people often praise the earlier programs. AND that it is simply too soon to judge the poster.  We are missing more than 100 artists!

Eminem, Rolling Stones and Bruno Mars all did other festivals as well. Eminem/Rolling Stones not that many, but still some.  And I'm still pretty sure Roskilde are capable of booking the absolute superstars. Some birds mentioned they would have had RATM if not for the complications with Zack.  

I certainly see you point in regards to new normal and I remember a year where we had a crazy amount of female Singer/songwriters. Felt a bit like fighting for the 50/50 split - which I'm sure is still going on - like it or not I think it is being done in a better and more diverse way now. Again let's judge the poster further when we get the last 100 names. 

In regards to Bon Iver, The National, Sigur Ros: 

The National played Roskilde 3 times from a small stage to Orange. Since then they played Denmark every year at either Festival or concert or both making them much less exclusive. Besides that they got personally involved in the danish festival scene, which is also why Bon Iver have prioritized the festivals where his friends from the National have been involved, when he ventured to Europe. 

Sigur Ros really haven't Toured much since 2013 and furthermore, when artists reach their peak stagewise Roskilde usually wait a long time to book them again. So they can book artists with only one years hiatus or even two years in a row if they grow / suddenly can fill a bigger stage, but if the band halts they often wait 7-10 years until a new generation are ready to get the experience (Strokes, Bob Dylan, Robert Plant, PJ Harvey, Queens Of The Stone Age, Metallica, RHCP - just on the top of my head). So maybe it is time for Arctic Monkeys, Sigur Ros, The Prodigy again. Roskilde will never be like Rock Werhcter who books RHCP two years in a row or Pearl Jam / Metallica /Muse every 2/3 years (no matter the popularity). 

18 hours ago, davidoffescassi said:

When I said special act, I meant acts that are rarely doing festival shows on those dates. Blur, Rosalia, QOTSA, Lil Nas X are going to tour this summer in so many festivals. I don't find them very exclusive or something like that. Eminem, Bruno Mars, Kanye West, The Rolling Stones, Drake (lol) Chance the Rapper (lol) were. I'd Roskilde book Frank Ocean on 2023 that would be exclusive to me. 

Regarding conspiracy theory

Roskilde Festival's Head of Programme, Anders Wahrén, explains:

"We want to create a place where there is room for diversity, and we present artists who are progressive. This is the place to go to experience music that you would not normally find at large festivals, side by side with the world's biggest names in pop."

Queer-pop and civil rights

The 2023 edition of Roskilde Festival offers a reunion with the French pop hero Christine and the Queens, who will introduce his new alias, Redcar, when stepping onto the Orange Stage with an immaculately choreographed show.

Similarly, festival-goers can look forward to intelligent queer-pop from Japanese-British artist Rina Sawayama, who already blew away both music critics and the audience at this year's festival with her pulsating beats and grandiose choruses.

It is not a theory. They are so proud to take this direction to their own music festival. You can study the evolution of the festival in line-up terms and you will see it. Of course BCNR could play this year, they are not banned from the festival, was I was trying to say, is a few years ago, 4 bands like BCNR could play on Roskilde, and this year, luckily, will have 1-2. They are getting closer to Coachella than Glastonbury, to say something. 

You keep saying let's wait to the final Line-up and of course, you are right. But we can talk about we have right now, and it seems so clear to me that this is a new reality for the festival. 

All of those major musicians you listed were touring European festivals alot when they played Roskilde in their respective years; how were they exclusive to Roskilde in comparison to the same touring schedules of Blur, QOTSA, etc?

And Roskilde has always prided itself on having alot of variety and diversity in its lineups with artists and genres; in fact, every festival is shifting more this way (including both Coachella and Glastonbury that you have cited). Plus, Rina and CATQ are fantastic live. 😁 

Edited by FrogLobster

17 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

All of those major musicians you listed were touring European festivals alot when they played Roskilde in their respective years; how were they exclusive to Roskilde in comparison to the same touring schedules of Blur, QOTSA, etc?

And Roskilde has always prided itself on having alot of variety and diversity in its lineups with artists and genres; in fact, every festival is shifting more this way (including both Coachella and Glastonbury that you have cited). Plus, Rina and CATQ are fantastic live. 😁 

True but on the other hand, maybe it's only me, but I feel that Roskilde always had at least one big headliner or big artist that was not common to have in other festivals that were happening around June and July. Like they always mixed alternative and commercial, now maybe the commercial side is winning more than the alternative but I still feel that the pop and hip hop artists they bring are not that exclusive compared with what they did in the past when they brought Outkast, Eminem or Rihanna. Or even when they put Bob Dylan, it was not common that year to have him doing big festivals like Roskilde alongside Cardi B and Travis Scott.

In that sense I think we can say that Roskilde is losing its "exclusivity"". Not that it's getting worse or better or less alternative and more commercial, it's just for the 2nd year in a row booking all the artists that are playing other festivals. Even if they bring Kendrick for Wednesday it will be an average lineup of another festival like Opener or Rock Werchter. Where is the surprise? Unless they manage somehow to bring Rihanna's or Beyonce's new tour it, or even Frank Ocean that would fantastic, until then maybe I am expecting too much...

Its probably not financially viable anymore to an artist to fly out and just play a single festival show in Europe; more money in touring now than there is in selling records. Aside from a Danish artist doing a one-off big 'local' show its not going to be likely for Roskilde to book the likes of Beyonce or Paul McCartney exclusively anymore.

And whilst I enjoyed Dua Lipa and Tyler last year, I agree that the headliners were much more common and a step down than previously. Ill chalk that up to first 'proper' year back after lockdown and availability. The undercard was overall very strong with Turnstile, Idles, Smile, Chvrches, Biffy, HAIM, Converge/Chelsea Wolfe, The Ocean, The Blaze, Fred Again all putting in amazing sets.

Already the booking of Blur is very exciting for me, much more than any headliner booked in 2022!

Edited by FrogLobster

29 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Its probably not financially viable anymore to an artist to fly out and just play a single festival show in Europe; more money in touring now than there is in selling records. Aside from a Danish artist doing a one-off big 'local' show its not going to be likely for Roskilde to book the likes of Beyonce or Paul McCartney exclusively anymore.

And whilst I enjoyed Dua Lipa and Tyler last year, I agree that the headliners were much more common and a step down than previously. Ill chalk that up to first 'proper' year back after lockdown and availability. The undercard was overall very strong with Turnstile, Idles, Smile, Chvrches, Biffy, HAIM, Converge/Chelsea Wolfe, The Ocean, The Blaze, Fred Again all putting in amazing sets.

Already the booking of Blur is very exciting for me, much more than any headliner booked in 2022!

Yeah there might be a lot of reasons for that, it's just that the festival is getting more and more expensive, to the point that the main public of the festival that are young people until 25 are not being able to afford it as they used to before. And there is nothing extraordinary about the festival, no new exclusive headliners or anything. As long as they still make it 4 days and fill it up with big artists and good undercard with small artists I think it will survive and live good. 

On the other note, besides Kendrick probably (?) headlining Wednesday I am really curious to see who is going to headline Saturday. As mentioned previously it will be most likely a female artist and the only ones that are touring in Europe by that time, are Lizzo (that is already coming to Copenhagen this month) and Rosalia (that is already playing on Friday). Therefore we might get a surprise there like Lana del Rey or SZA, in that case it is indeed something exclusive. 

Edited by festivalguy97

They announced on the Danish radio that a new Roskilde announcement is coming soon. 

My prediction is they the full lineup is coming on the 28th of February, as the first, second and the third announcements were all made in the last day of October, November and January respectively.

There was no announcement on the 31st of December as it was the New Years Eve and a Saturday (they always announce on week days). 

4 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

They announced on the Danish radio that a new Roskilde announcement is coming soon. 

My prediction is they the full lineup is coming on the 28th of February, as the first, second and the third announcements were all made in the last day of October, November and January respectively.

There was no announcement on the 31st of December as it was the New Years Eve and a Saturday (they always announce on week days). 

last time the Danish radio informed about Roskilde announcement comming soon, it came the day after, so maybe it will be earlier than 28th of February? 🙂

17 minutes ago, mln said:

last time the Danish radio informed about Roskilde announcement comming soon, it came the day after, so maybe it will be earlier than 28th of February? 🙂

I think they won’t drop the lineup before Lollapalooza Stockholm drops its lineup, as both of the festivals share a lot of artists in common, so I guess in a couple of weeks we have the lineup, and that’s why it makes sense on 28th. But the sooner, the better! 

2 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

I think they won’t drop the lineup before Lollapalooza Stockholm drops its lineup, as both of the festivals share a lot of artists in common, so I guess in a couple of weeks we have the lineup, and that’s why it makes sense on 28th. But the sooner, the better! 

Who is currently rumoured for Lolla stockholm?

2 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

Who is currently rumoured for Lolla stockholm?

No idea, Lollapalooza Stockholm actually just posted a hint for 14th of February, I guess that’s when they are releasing the lineup or at least the headliners so after that we can expect Roskilde remaining lineup 1/2 weeks later, 28th makes even more sense now.

The funny thing is that their lineup was supposed to come already last month but they delayed it, maybe there’s a big announcement they are going to make and can also be connected with Roskilde, so that’s why the long wait. 

Edited by festivalguy97

3 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

No idea, Lollapalooza Stockholm actually just posted a hint for 14th of February, I guess that’s when they are releasing the lineup or at least the headliners so after that we can expect Roskilde remaining lineup 1/2 weeks later, 28th makes even more sense now.

The funny thing is that their lineup was supposed to come already last month but they delayed it, maybe there’s a big announcement they are going to make and can also be connected with Roskilde, so that’s why the long wait. 

Maybe it's guns and roses for the Wednesday