Fire stewards

OrlaGrace

Hi everyone,

I’d quite like to work glasto as a fire steward next year - does anyone have any suggestions on the companies/charities that provide these? I spoke to a lovely chap who said he works for a charity that preserves an ancient burial mound so I get the feeling there are lots of little organisations.

Thanks!! 

You're correct, most stewarding inside the fence (venues / campsites etc) is done by lots of little organisations - PTAs, Sports Teams, Carnival Clubs, and various other community focussed collectives (such as the one you mention) - almost all of them from around the local (Somerset and North Dorset) area. In return, the Festival provides the group with an agreed donation and a suitable amount of wristbands.

Generally speaking, it's ultra rare to see these groups recruit publicly - because of the nature of the groups, it tends to be the a lot of the same people coming back year on year (which is good because it means they learn the role), and when spaces do come up they'll usually be able and prefer to fill them from within their existing members or people known to them.

Sorry I can't be more specific about the groups, but if you have any connections to any of the above type of groups then the best approach is probably to ask around offline - the closer to the Festival site a group is the more likely they'll be involved in the Festival somehow.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:42 PM, Fred Zepplin said:

Fire steward at the John Peel tent must be the easiest job on site. Camped in Wicket ground so walked past there a lot and all the time there were at least 10 fire stewards just stood at the edge of the tent watching the bands

Lol! Sounds great. I thought the fire stewards in SEC were absolutely brilliant, so helpful and friendly. I would love to volunteer as one next year so if anyone knows who I can contact to enquire please let me know! x