Avalon Cafe

JoeyT

18 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

The relationship is financial rather than political this time around.

Do we know that for sure though?

Honestly I thought it was a bit of both first time they collaborated. I thought they'd parted ways previously because of different opinions so just makes no sense to me. Admittedly, I entirely speculated on this but it was just a feeling I got. I can't think of any other reason they'd join forces again other than GFL needing a helping hand with something.

1 minute ago, Julesdude said:

Honestly I thought it was a bit of both first time they collaborated. I thought they'd parted ways previously because of different opinions so just makes no sense to me. Admittedly, I entirely speculated on this but it was just a feeling I got. I can't think of any other reason they'd join forces again other than GFL needing a helping hand with something.

The original deal was a maybe 4 year (feel free to correct me) deal to help lend legitimacy to the running of the festival after they lost their right to run it in 2001. Over 4 years he had an escalatory stake in the fetival up to 40% then the contract was due to expire, which it did until now when a new deal appears to have been struck with details unclear to me but almost certainly involves a closer creative influence than it did previously.

I know of a chap who used to be big within the festival but dislikes Melvin so much he resigned from his position when it was confirmed he was back in the organisation.

He’d warned Emily of this when there were murmurings Melvin was going to be back involved.

Emily practically begged him not to leave but man of his word.

Does make me wander how much of a prick Melvin is and if his influence will end up doing more harm than good.

23 minutes ago, Julesdude said:

last time it was cos the council insisted the licencee had something to lose if they didn't meet the licence conditions, might be that again.

1 minute ago, spaniyell said:

In 2000 GFL were almost at war with Mendip council!  I thought it was considered fairly well operated now.  I guess a lot of people who traditionally ran things are getting old now...  Change is a constant, as long as it's managed.

i think they want someone who has something to lose as licencee, otherwise they worry it won't be well managed.