news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah but then labour will just come back with tax cut for millionaires. I think it will be income tax. Maybe both...f**k it scorched earth etc.

inheritance tax uis a free of consequences cut - it raises so little it doesn't screw up the tax raising projections.

9 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

I'll still be abroad in the cold winters, can easy survive over here on the pension I'll get too.. hundreds already do so! 

as you said you don't know when the sh*t hits the fan, are you ready for usa medical bills????
probably a  better thing than the scottish nhs.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah but then labour will just come back with tax cut for millionaires. I think it will be income tax. Maybe both...f**k it scorched earth etc.

cant see them doing risky cuts , the body that does the projections (i forget the name) would slaughter them for it.

22 hours ago, Neil said:

labour are playing this so it looks like he's bottled it if he goes longer.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:56 AM, Paul ™ said:

Once I reach an age I can't work.... I'll live in my parents current property (they are late 80's so won't be around when that happens)

I'll still be abroad in the cold winters, can easy survive over here on the pension I'll get too.. hundreds already do so! 

Why buy a house when you can just have your parents house? 🙄

21 minutes ago, km9 said:

Why buy a house when you can just have your parents house? 🙄

It's going to be tough to decide which one to keep, the £200k one in Scotland or the £700k one in the South of France...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

It's going to be tough to decide which one to keep, the £200k one in Scotland or the £700k one in the South of France...

only one comes with free healthcare.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is why they need to increase taxes on wealth/inheritance, how are we ever going to get rid of inequality when the lucky kids can just inherit their parents' wealth. Reduce taxes on labour, increase taxes on wealth...and the money from that tax can be inherited by everyone equally.

i agree with you but taxing wealth is politically and practically difficult -  inheritance tax is hated cos its wealth built up using tax-paid money, so some claim its a double tax.

practically difficult cos the wealth is often in assets without an easy agreeable or convertible  value.

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

i agree with you but taxing wealth is politically and practically difficult -  inheritance tax is hated cos its wealth built up using tax-paid money, so some claim its a double tax.

practically difficult cos the wealth is often in assets without an easy agreeable or convertible  value.

We pay double tax all the time, taxed income paying for taxed goods. If they can already have inheritance tax they can just increase it, or lower  thresholds or whatever. Just because things are difficult doesn't mean they shouldn't be tried.

Tax wealth, abolish private schools.

Edited by steviewevie

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Country needs to grow a set of balls and stop allowing the NHS to be a free for all to people who leave the country and then come back just for the health care.  You should have to buy back into the system or pay for insurance like most countries.  Easy to asses as well, should have to have a certain amount of National insurance stamps to qualify.  

Yeah people overseas don't get the yearly full pension rise that they would if in the UK so they do chip in a little.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

If you are not in the country you shouldn't be getting a state pension full stop ffs lol !

I get where you're coming from with that. But the recipients uave a working lifetime of chipping in for it would be wrong to Rob them of it. Would cause all sorts of problems.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

This is why they need to increase taxes on wealth/inheritance, how are we ever going to get rid of inequality when the lucky kids can just inherit their parents' wealth. Reduce taxes on labour, increase taxes on wealth...and the money from that tax can be inherited by everyone equally.

We definitely need to tax wealth in this country. The whole system is setup to benefit the well off who will just pass down their wealth/estate to their kids which is why they want to get rid of IHT. You see it online all the time, these rich people pretending to be part of the working class and pretending to care all whilst actively wishing for changes that will only benefit them then they cry whenever they get slightly called out on it. The systems been setup to benefit them for far too long. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We definitely need to tax wealth in this country. The whole system is setup to benefit the well off who will just pass down their wealth/estate to their kids which is why they want to get rid of IHT. You see it online all the time, these rich people pretending to be part of the working class and pretending to care all whilst actively wishing for changes that will only benefit them then they cry whenever they get slightly called out on it. The systems been setup to benefit them for far too long. 

I'd be quite happy to see ihtax at 100% but not til after I've had my inheritance from my bk mum passing away this year not sure what my share is should be over £50k

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Come on Neil we both know that isn't how it works.  You don't chip into anything.  You pay for the current oldies and then the money is gone.  When you retire all your national insurance contributions have already been spent.

There is no justifiable reason why my kids or anyone elses should pay for me to go and retire in the mediterranean sun and then when I get really old I pop back start creaming off the NHS.  

If you want the benefits you should be in this country.  If you want to, then off you go...   but you give up the money.

They're not paying into a specific pot but are paying in on a promise of a pension later in life. If current payers see others being robbed of it they will try to avoid paying.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'd be quite happy to see ihtax at 100% but not til after I've had my inheritance from my bk mum passing away this year not sure what my share is should be over £50k

That's very selfless of you Neil 

Edited by km9

The Tories will try to convince people that scrapping IHT will benefit them when overwhelmingly barely anyone will reach the threshold to pay it. It’s another trick from the Tories and their supporters to trick the public into believing they’re on their side. 

25 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

don't think many people of working age right now even realise you can leave the country and still get a state pension.

true but most of those probably don't know that they don't get the full yearly rises.it means they'll get poorer doting their retirement abroad.