news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

A few on here have been saying similar for quite some time 

Well current strategy hasn't worked out too bad so far..but I guess now Sunak trying to be seen as the change choice and Starmer as the same old establishment type then thinking is he has to come out with some exciting new policies...which don't cost anything...

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Well current strategy hasn't worked out too bad so far..but I guess now Sunak trying to be seen as the change choice and Starmer as the same old establishment type then thinking is he has to come out with some exciting new policies...which don't cost anything...

Yes Labour have been consistently over 10 pints clear in the polls for a year now so they are clearly doing something right. Besides Labour have policies out there, it’s a lazy take to claim they don’t. 

22 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Now this is something sensible and popular I’d suggest 

IMG_7190.png

labour will need to offer them better contracts than the ones from the last labour govt  which  have caused the nhs dentist crisis.

36 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Now this is something sensible and popular I’d suggest 

IMG_7190.png

Well i was in my dentists today, the receptionist spent half her time answering the phone to people trying to get on the register for treatment, she said try again in 6 weeks, she has been saying this for years, there is clearly a real problem here, this could be a winner for labour if people trust them.

Edited by gizmoman
sp

5 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Well i was in my dentists today, the receptionist spent half her time answering the phone to people trying to get on the register for treatment, she said try again in 6 weeks, she has been saying this for years, there is clearly a real problem here, this could be a winner for labour if people trust them.

Yeah absolutely only 1 nhs dentist left in my town … fortunately it’s mine but that’ll likely change . And was similar to what you said the last time I was in there . Town fb group going mad about it 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Yeah absolutely only 1 nhs dentist left in my town … fortunately it’s mine but that’ll likely change . And was similar to what you said the last time I was in there . Town fb group going mad about it 

Only 1 NHS dentist in Taunton? Wow that really shows how bad this is, I'm in a large northern city and it has been a problem for many years, dare not miss a yearly check up in case I get struck off, I've been with this dentist 50 years!

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Only 1 NHS dentist in Taunton? Wow that really shows how bad this is, I'm in a large northern city and it has been a problem for many years, dare not miss a yearly check up in case I get struck off, I've been with this dentist 50 years!

Yep correct … think more and more so a southern problem too now . A mate just managed to get one up north in Bradford . But this has significant impacts on nhs going forward if people put off the annual checks because of cost and then require emergency work 

52 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

its not so easy can't  magic the dentists into existence

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

So the problem is too many punters , not enough dentists, maybe we should cut back on immigration to reduce the demand? Or do you have a better solution?

the problem is all the dentists who ditched the nhs cos of the new contracts labour introduced.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

i'd guess most of those will have retired since so won't be coming back.

That was the question I was just about to pose, if they had gone private and taken the patients with them there would not have been the pressure on NHS dentists we currently see, I suspect some have retired but the fact is the UK population has increased by around 10% over the past 15 years, mainly due to immigration, this has had an effect on services such as dentistry, and to be fair to you, this is something you have commented on before, the fact is, with an aging population we need some immigration but the continuous increase in the population leads to pressure on all public services.