news & politics:discussion

zahidf

58 minutes ago, cellar said:

I guess that's the point of diversifying - don't overexpose yourself to any particular asset or region. Dot-com bubble burst had a similar impact on the FTSE to Covid right? (I suppose I could check but I'm lazy) - but well diversified funds didn't crumble because of Covid, although I know they took hits (not as much as a FTSE tracker though).

I know that before the big Covid impact in March 2020, companies were already repositioning to reduce exposure and mitigate any potential losses.

Mine might not have been so diversified.

I can remember opting for something with (a leaning towards) Asian stocks when I bought the investment product.

asia as the future was being heavily talked up at the time so it didn't seem a risky choice 

50 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

is this a they can f**k off back to France policy?

Probably not worded like that.

It’s actually a policy that has a chance of working. 

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Govt pumping house prices to ensure they don't fall. It'll be harder for ftbs if prices fall cos lenders get scared of lending.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

11 months is a long time.

Press have been looking for dirt on Labour , seems they can’t find much . Unless they’ve got something stored up for closer to the time . Labour have enough ammunition to put holes in several battleships 

11 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Press have been looking for dirt on Labour , seems they can’t find much . Unless they’ve got something stored up for closer to the time . Labour have enough ammunition to put holes in several battleships 

Don't get me wrong, it is looking like Labour's to lose...but campaigns haven't actually got going properly yet...there are many tory/swing voters who don't like the current govt and don't like Sunak and want them gone, but aren't exactly enthused by Starmer's labour, so I guess many will not bother voting, unless Tories can somehow persuade them through scare tactics. Starmer isn't scary though, but they will keep digging into his past, and maybe some of it will stick. Also, Labour will get asked more and more questions about tax and spend, how are they going to get us out of his hole without increasing taxes, how are they going to increase growth to allow borrowing that 28bill for green shite. And Reform are saying they will stand in all seats, but UKIP said that once and then didn't...and the left despise Starmer and many would probably prefer a Tory win.

Still, if Labour doesn't f**k up, and things generally stay as they are (i.e. sh*t)...could well be a big Labour win.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Don't get me wrong, it is looking like Labour's to lose...but campaigns haven't actually got going properly yet...there are many tory/swing voters who don't like the current govt and don't like Sunak and want them gone, but aren't exactly enthused by Starmer's labour, so I guess many will not bother voting, unless Tories can somehow persuade them through scare tactics. Starmer isn't scary though, but they will keep digging into his past, and maybe some of it will stick. Also, Labour will get asked more and more questions about tax and spend, how are they going to get us out of his hole without increasing taxes, how are they going to increase growth to allow borrowing that 28bill for green shite. And Reform are saying they will stand in all seats, but UKIP said that once and then didn't...and the left despise Starmer and many would probably prefer a Tory win.

Still, if Labour doesn't f**k up, and things generally stay as they are (i.e. sh*t)...could well be a big Labour win.

Reform is just a fundraiser … they’ll back out . So don’t really see them playing a part sadly ( not that I want them to take seats but take some Tory vote would be nice ) 

Yes Reform will run and will seriously damage the Tories. The conditions around brexit don't exist this time plus I think Farage was on record as thinking Corbyn was a communist, he probably doesn't feel the same way regarding Starmer