Bands start to finish

thewayiam

@thewayiam - I'm pretty certain that I don't know what you are asking, what everybody else is saying, and worse again, what I am trying to convey. However, it's a times like this that you have to keep your chin up and press on. And in that vein I proffer / shoe horn in this;

Now, I'd listen to every little sound there ever was, is, and shall be, to have been at that section of that concert, right there, right then.

• 5 weeks later...

I was on the top floor of the politics and economics building at Leeds University, 1994. Oasis had started playing. I’d heard Oasis play before, but I liked to listen to whole sets. I normally typed while bands were on, because I had lots of essays to write. Bands were too noisy too write essays to, so I had to type to them. I normally did this on my computerised, Brother, typewriter. I would type for the whole set, from beginning to end.

On this occasion, of essay typing, I had forgotten to go to the loo and brush my teeth. I had to go to bed by 11.00pm because I had been up for two days and I had only had 20 minutes sleep the night before. If I didn’t go to the loo I would forget to brush my teeth. A travesty.

I was just as obsessive about listening to whole band sets. So this factor outweighed my reasoning. But the desire for clean teeth had won out. So of I went to the halls, communal, loos. The loos, themselves, were no problem. They were on top of the Politics and Economics building. Not far from my room. So I could hear everything from them . For that reason, listening to the band was going to be easy.

The only problem, was the length of time it took me to get to the loo. Once I got there I chose the cubicle you could hear most in, had a piss, took a bit of a power nap and then left the cubicle door open; as I brushed my teeth. This way I could get the full bathroom, sound, effect of Oasis, echoing through the, open, bathroom window.

I used the communal soap dispenser, to take a wash and embarked on the long walk back to my room. The thing is, it was just a few more steps to my room than I’d thought.  But this is Oasis in 1994. I guess I’d heard them a few times before. But I missed over a minutes worth of music there and in a way it stung.

Still, I returned to my room and  typed away to She’s Electric, Shakermaker and Supersonic. I had done this to previous Oasis sets. I grooved away to the lyric, ‘no-one could ever hear them fall’, as I gathered a few bits of paper together. I knew this lyric by heart. I mouthed it. ‘Nobody could ever, nobody could ever hear them fall.’ 
This was my favourite lyric. Liam was so cryptic and poetic, or whatever it was. I think he was referring to the Romans falling, because York wasn’t far from Leeds and there was a Roman wall there. He ad libbed a lot.

Edited by stt11