Rugby World Cup

blutarsky

Reviving this thread to comment on this years World Cup so far (mainly from a Welsh perspective but also overall).

I haven't paid much attention to everyone else's group matches other than the big games but all the favourites stood out as expected. My main takeaway from the group stage was how sh*t the draw was for Scotland, they'd have sailed through 1 or 2 other groups.

I wasn't expecting much from us this tournament but the way we played against Australia gave me so much confidence that on our day we might actually be able to turn over a big team - knowing we had Ireland or NZ in the semis if we made it that far.

Turns out we didn't. It was such an odd performance. Felt we dominated for 30 minutes and then did very little. I think if Biggar makes the kick to make it 13-0 it might have changed the rest of the game slightly but absolutely not blaming him.
Still think Gatland is the man to take us forward so hope there is no stupid talk about him going. Also huge credit to Argentina as they dominated the game in fairness from 30 mins onwards, especially the second half.

Ireland v NZ - Absolutely unreal match. Even if we had gotten by Argentina... not a chance we would have beaten either of these teams. Watching this match felt like it was in 1.5 speed, both teams are so fast and strong in comparison to the first match of the day. Gutted for Ireland who seem to have some quarter final curse? England should cruise by Fiji.

I suspect now a NZ v France final but who knows.

Has anyone else been paying much attention to the tournament?

Been following the England games and we have been average at best with some highlights I guess. Enjoyed the games Sunday but the difference between Eng and France/springboks was obviously clear to see. Eng do have a habit of grinding out results in the world cup though but can't see how next weekend is not the end of the line.