ian_sw

Travel from London advice

Evening,

I am the only person travelling from London in my group so looking for a bit of guidance before I book my travel. 

Am I right in thinking the best route is to get the train into Portsmouth Harbour and ferry over to Ryde?

Also, looking at the return foot passenger ferry prices, does £29 sound about right? I need to be back in Portsmouth to catch the train for about 9am so assume I will have peak travel time prices?

Final bit, is getting from the festival site to the ferry for 8am realistic with busss etc?

Thanks for all your help 

Ian

Southampton is better I’ve found. 

Getting out of there is fine. If the train is at 9 you need to leave time to get to the ferry this side. You will be looking at getting up at 6am. Taxis from the site are fine. 

If I was coming from London, I would go to Portsmouth for sure. Straight train from London to Portsmouth is 75 minutes or so. Jump on the boat to Ryde seafront then a 40 minute bus to site. 

And, yeah, if you want to be on the 8am boat from Ryde on Monday morning I would be leaving site about 6am to allow myself plenty of time. 

Thanks to both of you for the info.

I know it will probably all be apparent on the day but do I need to get hold of a taxi firm number (if so could you advise) or does the site have a taxi pick up point nearby?

Thanks again, really appreciated 

Local taxi firm is Ryde Taxis - 01983 811111 

You won’t need that number though as they will be everywhere. I wouldn’t even bother with a taxi as it will cost a small fortune. There will be a constant stream of busses running from site to Ryde seafront and back. Just jump on one of those - it will take the same amount of time and will go to the exact same place. 

I go into east cows and there are loads of taxis there. Don’t be afraid to ask people if they want to share. Split the cost. 

29 quid is bang on for the fast cat return from Portsmouth to Ryde, however you can buy a combined rail / ferry ticket through the train company. Just choose the destination as 'Ryde Esplanade' and it adds the ferry ticket to your rail ticket. The advantage here is if the ferry back is delayed, and you miss the train, you're covered and catch the next one. If you split the purchases and have a designated train back, you can get caught out.

If taking a Coach is an option for you I took the Big Green Coach last year from London Victoria Station to the Festival. No need to worry about Ferry times or any of that. It cost about £75 return. 

If booking separately check if the early bird offer is available for the Cat as this cost me less than £17 but doesn't show up if you are searching through the site.