Formula 1

DareToDibble

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Perez deserved that - hope he gets to keep it.

Well he has. Just about.

Much as I'm aware this will do little to appease the growing constituency of those who claim FIA are continually biased in favour of Red Bull. Though I guess there's a consistency in a "3 strikes and you get a penalty" for this sort of thing, assuming this is adopted going forward, along with talk of inconsistency as it was highlighted on Twitter Vettel was not penalised for doing this in Canada. Not that I'm 100% sure you needed this to be delivered over 3 hours after the race finished.

So... pfft. What do I know.

As for this race, odd one. Felt like hard work in the first half and very stop-start thanks to Alpine's engines giving up but after it changed to dry it got pretty good.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Well he has. Just about.

Much as I'm aware this will do little to appease the growing constituency of those who claim FIA are continually biased in favour of Red Bull. Though I guess there's a consistency in a "3 strikes and you get a penalty" for this sort of thing, assuming this is adopted going forward, along with talk of inconsistency as it was highlighted on Twitter Vettel was not penalised for doing this in Canada. Not that I'm 100% sure you needed this to be delivered over 3 hours after the race finished.

So... pfft. What do I know.

As for this race, odd one. Felt like hard work in the first half and very stop-start thanks to Alpine's engines giving up but after it changed to dry it got pretty good.

Imo it didn't get good when it dried up, we didn't really get much in the way of overtaking due to the nature of the track. If it wasn't for the safety cars then this race would've been a precession.

Very uncharacteristic weekend for Lewis, very unlike him to make 1 mistake, let alone 2. 

That failed overtake on Lando was make or break for Max really. If he had made that stick then he would potentially have ended up on the podium. As Checo said though it's worked out well for Red Bull as it's now pretty likely they win the title in Japan, perfect for Honda.

7 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Very uncharacteristic weekend for Lewis, very unlike him to make 1 mistake, let alone 2. 

That failed overtake on Lando was make or break for Max really. If he had made that stick then he would potentially have ended up on the podium. As Checo said though it's worked out well for Red Bull as it's now pretty likely they win the title in Japan, perfect for Honda.

Given we haven't been there for a while and the last 2 visits were fairly well behaved, I think we forgot Singapore is a real punishing track where it's super easy to make a mistake. Double so when wet. Hamilton was very fortunate with the first one tbf when he hit the barrier while chasing down Sainz, given it was very similar to the incidents that took out Albon and Tsunoda.

Also shout out for McLaren tbf - they've had a very hit and miss season but P4/5 from 6th and 16th on the grid is an excellent result, especially as Alpine had a pretty dismal weekend.

Edited by charlierc

On 10/2/2022 at 7:01 PM, Barry Fish said:

Should have been awarded during the race.  5 seconds seems about right.

Worth noting that when the FIA announced their final decision on whether or not Checo was getting a penalty that in one paragraph they rejected his defence that the wet track made it difficult for him to stay within 10 laps, yet the next paragraph said they accepted it as a valid defence. Plus it's been noted Antonio Giovinazzi was given a penalty at the last Singapore race in 2019 for doing this, while Vettel got off despite being raised for doing it in Canada earlier this year because "other drivers were also doing it".

So... you know. There's as awkward as ever. I think a 5 second time penalty for repeatedly doing it despite being warned is fair enough.

20 hours ago, charlierc said:

Well another delay is absolutely going to help quell the speculation and commentary about what the FIA is up to isn't it?

They weren’t gonna do much to RBR anyway but this way Max can win the title on Sunday and they’ll have an excuse of why they can’t do anything serious.

If all teams had followed the rules the data would’ve been published by now. 

Talking of not paying attention...

This is a really odd incident. Wouldn't be surprised if it got a penalty tbf. Though this is the cue when the stewards don't give Verstappen a grid penalty and everyone kicks off going "Ooo Max bias"

... and literally the second I write this the stewards announce they're content to give Verstappen a warning rather than a penalty.

Edited by charlierc

35 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Talking of not paying attention...

This is a really odd incident. Wouldn't be surprised if it got a penalty tbf. Though this is the cue when the stewards don't give Verstappen a grid penalty and everyone kicks off going "Ooo Max bias"

... and literally the second I write this the stewards announce they're content to give Verstappen a warning rather than a penalty.

‘Reprimand’

Because of course the FIA have to continue to protect their chosen one. 

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Worth noting both Hamilton and Ocon got reprimands for doing this in similar situations at the end of last year.

It’s the totality of it all, the FIA never seem to clamp down on Max so when you get situations like this in adds to the perception that they have favour him. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

If the teams had started on full wets would we be sat here now watching rain fall ? 

Very tired of all this.

Maybe enforced full wets is required in the future in an attempt to get more race starts in the wet.

I guess we might have some points awarded and be back in the pits … points awarded even some after 2 laps seems to me to be far to low … should be at least 10 laps 

37 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So just listening to Sainz...   Saying intermediates where not right for the conditions.  Yet every team starts on them - two cars in the wall.  If they had started on full wets I fully believe we would be racing now.  

Also we had a recovery vehicle on the track before the red flag which couldn't be any more dangerous.

The whole of F1 needs to take a step back and work out how they put on a show in the wet.  Fans pay a heck of a lot of money, sponsors spend millions as does TV....  Pretty poor.

It is possible to setup a F1 car to go around places like this (higher ride heigh etc) - the teams just choose not to do it as when it dries you bleed performance.  

Makes no difference even on full wets this race wouldn’t be happening . But yeah would have stopped the accidents which would have been sensible … more pit stops equals more interesting race in my opinion so start them on the wets 

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Full wets from the start would of glgiven it a chance as 20 f1 cars clear water quiet well.

But is possible to build f1 cars to cope with this as we used to do it not to long back.

We need to enforce the teams to design a wet weather setup or be docked points if they can't run.  

The show must go on.  

They are just talking about this … the wets just Chuck the water up so they won’t run because of visibility when in fact the track might be dry enough …. Here we go restart time 🕰️…. Fingers crossed