Pukkelpop 2018

DDave

57 minutes ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

That line-up somehow gets big praise in comparisson to PKP, but there are barely any significant differences. Not enough to warrant shitting on PKP.

Agreed. Main difference is Gorillaz and no Travis Scott or Imagine Dragons. Big plus in my eyes. Big minus is no Justice. Still impressive to shift 47000+ weekend tickets with 3 months to go. Still one of the bigger names to go, the longer it goes on the more likely it's gonna be Arcade Fire an all.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

7 hours ago, TheKiewitGuy said:

That line-up somehow gets big praise in comparisson to PKP, but there are barely any significant differences. Not enough to warrant shitting on PKP.

Looking at the names below, I'd say PKP is superiour to what Lowlands has to offer (in terms of bigger names) but I think Lowlands has another huge batch of names to come whilst PKP (by the looks of the clashfinder) is down to it's last 30ish names. Plus I think most of it, and the whole discussion around them (PKP) going into a more mainstream program, comes down to what you like or want to see. For me personally, I'd probably choose LL even though PKP has the "bigger" names and that probably goes for a lot of people who visit forums like these. 

PKP: Arcade Fire, Imagine Dragons, Oscar & The Wolf, Travis Scott, Bazart, Incubus, Roisin Murphy, Justice, Vitalic, Martin Solveig

LL: Gorillaz, Patti Smith, Nils Frahm, James Bay, Richie Hawtin, Stormzy, Tom Odell, Dropkick Murphys, Gogol Bordello

13 hours ago, arcuse said:

Looking at the names below, I'd say PKP is superiour to what Lowlands has to offer (in terms of bigger names) but I think Lowlands has another huge batch of names to come whilst PKP (by the looks of the clashfinder) is down to it's last 30ish names. Plus I think most of it, and the whole discussion around them (PKP) going into a more mainstream program, comes down to what you like or want to see. For me personally, I'd probably choose LL even though PKP has the "bigger" names and that probably goes for a lot of people who visit forums like these. 

PKP: Arcade Fire, Imagine Dragons, Oscar & The Wolf, Travis Scott, Bazart, Incubus, Roisin Murphy, Justice, Vitalic, Martin Solveig

LL: Gorillaz, Patti Smith, Nils Frahm, James Bay, Richie Hawtin, Stormzy, Tom Odell, Dropkick Murphys, Gogol Bordello

So Lowlands basically gets praise because of 'potential' names that could still be added? Seems odd to me.

My PERSONAL opinion: Arcade Fire vs Gorillaz is what it comes down to for me. I like both, and I'm going to see Gorillaz at RW so I don't mind them not coming to Hasselt. As of today, PKP has Arcade Fire and LL doesn't. That's also something in favour of Pukkelpop. The rest? Patti Smith, Nils Frahm and De La Soul I really would like to have, but again, dealbreakers? No. James Bay is just another generic pop singer  imo. Richie Hawtin and Stormzy played PKP last year and were both highlights of the weekend for me so you can't blame them for not booking these artists. I'm really also not into the music that Dropkick Murphys and Gogol Bordello make. Gave them a chance a couple of years ago and it's really nothing for me. And still, for people who like them: Gogol Bordello played at 4 PM or something in 2014, I don't think anyone will lose sleep because of them not being booked.

About Travis Scott: I strongly dislike his live singing with the autotune mic, but at the same time I think his 'dance closer' spot at the main stage could be justified IF we had a proper headliner that day (not Oscar). Dude is crazy popular in the US, so while I don't like him, I can see why he gets to play and why he gets that timeslot.

16 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

Rudimental and Lykke Li would be great additions. Rita Ora is largely rubbish but had about two songs that were barely passable, didn't she also sing on a DJ Fresh tune. 

Did we establish if this is legit?

No idea. Would be a very plausible choice, as would Lykke Li and Rudimental. But again, nothing inspiring.

On 6/1/2018 at 4:14 PM, Death By Sexy said:

Next week tuesday they will release the names of wednesday (=pre-party). 

If I'm right in thinking, the Wednesday names have always been released last. I'm assuming that the other names to come either not booked yet or we are getting a couple of names from Rock Werchter that they can't announce yet.

New names for Rock En Seine. As much as I bitch about this year's Pukkelpop line up it's nowhere near as bad as RES this year. Its really gone downhill over  the last couple of years. The recent emergence of other Parisian festivals doesnt help. 

FB_IMG_1528104950064.jpg

Credit to them for promoting their own but this is the most Belgian heavy, artist wise Pukkelpop I can remember. Hate to think how much has been spent on Kendrick Lamar and Travis Scott to warrant them spending as little as possible on the smaller stuff.

32 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Credit to them for promoting their own but this is the most Belgian heavy, artist wise Pukkelpop I can remember. Hate to think how much has been spent on Kendrick Lamar and Travis Scott to warrant them spending as little as possible on the smaller stuff.

These things happen when a teenager obssesed with the Kardashian sisters takes decisions in the booking process.

I'm sure that Eppo Janssen dislike most of the bands that he has to book. His musical tastes are far from this line-up

It's strage that the same bookers as 5 or 6 years ago, make such a different line-up from 2012 or 2013 ones...

They made the Shelter disappear just to book the same rock acts every single year and put them randomly is all the stages.

They also made the Wablief dissapear and now there are more belgian acts than ever (I understand that is a Belgian festival, but I think that it''s just a way to save money)

I can see no direction in the decisions that are being taken in lhe last couple of years

Edited by johnybegood
  • Upvote 1

I expect Snail Mail in the next announcement. Her debut album dropped today. Insane amount of hype (don't know why though, it's more than ok but nothing too spectacular either, but have a look at Pitchfork for example). Ticks a lot of boxes (female, alternative, hype, actually good, touring in this period, ...).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1