LEAVE NO TRACE

hermano

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Then pack up their tents and take them with you? If there's an abandoned tent next to you worth £100 and you don't do that you're chucking that £100 away as much as they are. ...

There is only so many tents (or chairs, beds or other common items) a person needs. Beer of course is different! I ended 2016 with more beer than I arrived with!

I was going to make a new thread about this but this thread seems like a better place than any other to ask: Is there a place where leftover belongings from previous years can be purchased on site? For example, when I went to Bestival a few years back, they had a place that was blowing up left behind air beds and selling them back for 5 quid. Does anything like this exist for Glastonbury? If not it could be a good idea to cut down on the waste if people would then take them home afterward!

Edit: my text has gone really small and I don't know how to fix it. Oh well.

Edited by Brumbot

5 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

There is only so many tents (or chairs, beds or other common items) a person needs. Beer of course is different! I ended 2016 with more beer than I arrived with!

I've only ever bought 2 tents, the rest I've 'recycled from festivals. You can never have too many tents! Last year I left early hours Monday morning but usually if I'm not leaving until the afternoon I'll pack a tent up and take it with me. Until my garage flooded a couple of years ago I had six of varying sizes. 

I was once at v festival and it was raining on the Monday morning so everybody was just leaving piles of stuff. I left with a brand new Outwell 6 man tent and 2 new pop ups. Cheers lazy bastards!

9 minutes ago, Brumbot said:

I was going to make a new thread about this but this thread seems like a better place than any other to ask: Is there a place where leftover belongings from previous years can be purchased on site? For example, when I went to Bestival a few years back, they had a place that was blowing up left behind air beds and selling them back for 5 quid. Does anything like this exist for Glastonbury? If not it could be a good idea to cut down on the waste if people would then take them home afterward!

Edit: my text has gone really small and I don't know how to fix it. Oh well.

nothing like this as far as I know but the problem would still remain if there were. If people are quite willing to leave a £200 tent on site they will think nothing of leaving an air bed that they paid a fiver for. Chairs? Don't get me started on chairs. The most annoying thing for me is not that people leave stuff behind although I really don't see why they can't take it home with them. It's the fact that if they do leave it behind it takes no time at all to take it to a campsite rubbish point. 

1 minute ago, MilkyJoe said:

nothing like this as far as I know but the problem would still remain if there were. If people are quite willing to leave a £200 tent on site they will think nothing of leaving an air bed that they paid a fiver for. Chairs? Don't get me started on chairs. The most annoying thing for me is not that people leave stuff behind although I really don't see why they can't take it home with them. It's the fact that if they do leave it behind it takes no time at all to take it to a campsite rubbish point. 

I completely agree. Even in the state I've been in come Monday morning I can still bring myself to pack everything up. There really is no excuse. I'm shocked after reading some of the comments on that youtube video stating that they think it's part of the cost of the ticket and they have the right to leave it all. Terrible attitude :/ It's not a big job to take it to a rubbish point.

11 hours ago, ian the worm said:

This is done by festival staff before the clean up begins.

Out of curiosity, what's the schedule for that? Each year you hear of people who've stuck around until the Tuesday/Wednesday even, who must be increasingly getting in the way of a big job that needs doing.

14 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Then pack up their tents and take them with you? If there's an abandoned tent next to you worth £100 and you don't do that you're chucking that £100 away as much as they are.

And if your response is that it's too much effort, well yeah, that's exactly why they're not taking it with them either.

Obviously everyone is responsible for taking their own stuff home, you agree to it when you buy a ticket, but the monetary argument just doesn't work.

No it doesn't. It costs them a lot of money to pay for the clean up but nothing is put at risk. That doesn't make it right, but bullshitting people won't help get them on side.

Wow. *shakes head*