Brothers cider Bar

marathonsteve

39 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Those empty 2ltr bottles were an absolute bloody death trap when it was muddy! 

That was something else I'd heard.  Discarded bottles combined with mud caused plenty of slips, spills and sprains that year, which was one of the factors that brought the issue to the attention of the authoriteh.  Just something someone once told me.

I imagine that when the decision was given it was a slightly downcast midlander who started with "Look, I'm going to give it to you straight..."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried looking for a photo of the result of the brothers 2 litre bottles. Luckily I couldn't find one. I did however find this one of my mate after we'd set up camp on Pennards Hill in 2005. Yes that's right, Pennards Hill, look at the space!188821_4156742991_6988_n.jpg

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nowt, I'm just disagreeing with the idea that the 2 litre bottle had no effect on drunkenness. @Jamie D put it right - carnage.

fair enough, I thought you were complaining!

But there were other years where the bottles existed werent there? It wasnt just that one glorious day. I'm sure you could get 2l bottles throughout 2005, and 2004, with no mega issues.

Could be wrong like.

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

fair enough, I thought you were complaining!

But there were other years where the bottles existed werent there? It wasnt just that one glorious day. I'm sure you could get 2l bottles throughout 2005, and 2004, with no mega issues.

Could be wrong like.

I think you're right, was 2007 when it finally stopped I think according to earlier in this thread.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's what I remember.  @DeanoL can say it makes to no difference til he's blue in the face, but he's wrong.  2 litre bottles led to more shit facedness than pints.  It's just far, far easier to buy shit loads.  We were buying rounds of 2 litre bottles and had three on the go at once, swigging them back like no tomorrow.  There's no way we'd keep going back for paper cups like that, too easy to spill and too easy to keep track of what you've drunk.

I'd be fine with a limit on the amount that could be purchased- so no more than one bottle or four points per transaction if that's the issue. 

Price may have been a factor too- the bottles were cheaper than the pints, so it made it the most reasonably priced drink on site. Which meant people who wanted to get pissed for a reasonable amount of money would set up camp there and get very pissed.

20 hours ago, simonizer said:

I can vouch for that having been refused a pint in the main Silver hayes bar by a wee lad lad young enough to be my son. I was 44 !

Age is not a factor - its the age a person looks in a split second and Bar staff are Warned not to take any chances - sure they will not always get it right and they will ask people they should not ask but it will never be a perfect system - I did pull up a guy at Latitude and he was 46 but he must get asked all the time because he quickly pulled out his Passport.

He may have been 46 but he looked far younger.

9 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Age is not a factor - its the age a person looks in a split second and Bar staff are Warned not to take any chances - sure they will not always get it right and they will ask people they should not ask but it will never be a perfect system - I did pull up a guy at Latitude and he was 46 but he must get asked all the time because he quickly pulled out his Passport.

He may have been 46 but he looked far younger.

did  you ask him what moisturiser he was using 

i need that shit

21 hours ago, shuttlep said:

did  you ask him what moisturiser he was using 

i need that shit

That was in 2006 so the law had only recently been changed so really ' we were asking everyone ' + we knew Trading Standards were floating about so we had to demonstrate we were not taking any
chances - at the end of the event Trading Standards took away all the ' Challenge note books ' so we were determined they could not pull us up.

if it had been a later year I would not have asked him.

its very weird because in 2006 there was three events one was using ' Challenge 18 ' - another was using ' Challenge 21 ' and the third was using ' Challenge 25 ' - so even the new guidelines were confusing - its all down to the local Trading Standards who will decide what standard we use.

Even at Hyde park - one event it was ' Challenge 18 ' and the next very day it was ' Challenge 25 '
- far better just to stick with ' Challenge 25 ' and then at least everyone knows where they stand.