Primavera Sound 2016

DanielM17

No LCD on the Governors list which is a plus. 

Foals are playing festivals across europe but have nothing confirmed in Spain as yet, tho it'd have to be the 2nd.

Most of the euro festivals seem to be holding back their headliners this year, which is odd seeing as how they all need to shift tickets. Maybe there's a couple of big bands that are dictating what happens, how are those Radiohead rumours doing these days?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Nerim said:

Maybe there's a couple of big bands that are dictating what happens, how are those Radiohead rumours doing these days?

Taking into account they've officially announced they'll be realising an album soon, I have my hopes up again. Radiohead are definitely an option now, but no as plausible as LCD I reckon.

2 minutes ago, Albert.EA said:

Taking into account they've officially announced they'll be realising an album soon, I have my hopes up again. Radiohead are definitely an option now, but no as plausible as LCD I reckon.

It hasn't been officially announced and at least one festival boss has said they're not touring this summer, which would be just as when they released TKOL. I think they will release at some point this year, start touring in winter and play PS in 2017.

Probably nothing but I asked Ed from the Chems if they're playing any spring/summer Barcelona dates to which his reply was 'very much hope so'

They played Sonar last year so my fingers are crossed that they're this years Underworld/Disclosure type booking.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

3 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Metz and Beach House are confirmed acccording to http://www.wakeandlisten.com/primavera-sound-2016-rumores-y-confirmaciones/

Good start. Interesting that it has Bon Iver as a strong rumour before any further festival plans are announced. Any idea where they're sourcing this stuff?

Also wondering if Sufjan Stevens playing Parc del Forum a couple of months ago makes him unlikely to do PS this year? Think he could probably headline but not completely sure.

Beck and Kanye being scooped up has impacted the PS headliner pool more than I initially thought, though. Think LCD, Sigur Ros and PJ Harvey will definitely feature in Barcelona however the only others I can identify would be Frank Ocean, Tame Impala, Massive Attack, Bon Iver and Disclosure, and apart from the last one none have summer dates announced.

19 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Good start. Interesting that it has Bon Iver as a strong rumour before any further festival plans are announced. Any idea where they're sourcing this stuff?

Also wondering if Sufjan Stevens playing Parc del Forum a couple of months ago makes him unlikely to do PS this year? Think he could probably headline but not completely sure.

Beck and Kanye being scooped up has impacted the PS headliner pool more than I initially thought, though. Think LCD, Sigur Ros and PJ Harvey will definitely feature in Barcelona however the only others I can identify would be Frank Ocean, Tame Impala, Massive Attack, Bon Iver and Disclosure, and apart from the last one none have summer dates announced.

I think theres a better chance of the bands who were booked for separate gigs being at PS. Fully expect Kurt Vile to be announced as well.

Don't know where that website is getting their info from. They've got Four Tet as a rumour and he's in Colorado on the 2nd so the rumours page probably isn't that up to date

'Re: the headliners, I'm still saying Neil Young due to the lack of a Spanish date and that the tour starts on the 5th in Glasgow. Personally, I think the headliners on that poster are probably right, with maybe a dance act in the mix somewhere.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

I'm not sure about LCD, and trying not to get my hopes up after expecting OutKast in 2014 after their Coachella announcement.

I would predict PJ Harvey, Sigur Ros, maybe Radiohead, Grimes, Beach House, Deerhunter, Protomartyr, DJ Koze and Wild Nothing, not sure what else.

Edited by weston24

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Are they? I thought Chromatics were. I guess it'd be both playing PS or none anyway though.

Yeah, it was announced as coming out in 2013, but has yet to surface. There were some Facebook photo posts from the studio last year, though.

A couple years ago I saw an amazing double bill featuring Chromatics opening for Glass Candy. Ida had me pull her into the crowd for her first of many surfs. Really want that to happen again.

5 hours ago, weston24 said:

I'm not sure about LCD, and trying not to get my hopes up after expecting OutKast in 2014 after their Coachella announcement.

I would predict PJ Harvey, Sigur Ros, maybe Radiohead, Grimes, Beach House, Deerhunter, Protomartyr, DJ Koze and Wild Nothing, not sure what else.

Already confirmed/leaked:

Tortoise

Drive Like Jehu

DJ Coco

My realistic predictions:

LCD Soundsystem

Sigur Ros

PJ Harvey

Neil Young

Lush

Grimes

Beach House

Deerhunter

Atlas Sound

Kurt Vile

Deafheaven

Shellac

James Murphy DJ set

Despacio (not an artist, but that 50,000 watt vinyl soundsystem from James Murphy and 2manydjs)

2manydjs

Destroyer

Protomartyr

Julien Baker

DJ Koze

Wild Nothing

Predictions within the realm of possibility but I'm not entirely confident about for whatever reason: 

Chelsea Wolfe (this would require being in Europe for quite a while after that Roadburn appearance)

Massive Attack

Kamasi Washington (long set in Auditori? yes, please)

Flying Lotus (overdue)

Tokimonsta (ditto)

Animal Collective

Deradoorian

Joanna Newsom

Sufjan Stevens

Wish would happen but doubt the festival gods can (or would) make happen:

Bat for Lashes (play Thursday then fly to Gov Ball is possible I guess, just not logistically likely),

Radiohead (allegedly not tour-ready)

Thom Yorke Tomorrow's Modern Boxes (consolation prize?)

Emmy the Great (pleaseeeee. new album in March and has never played)

Glass Candy

Fever Ray (recently became active again on Facebook. something brewing?)

Edited by Bort

2 hours ago, StephenF said:

Gabi Ruiz retweeted a tweet saying all we need now is for radiohead to be confirmed and the year is made.......I think he might just be pulling the piss.

I wouldn't put it past him to joke about it. This year will be my 7th time in a row to Primavera Sound. Last year's line up lacked BIG names. However, virtually all the music festivals last year globally were not that great when you saw the line ups. I loved how more varied Primavera was last year and the investment they are putting in to getting more electronic and dance aspect is great. It's interesting how Sonar and Primavera are almost cross-breeding more and more, which I think benefits Primavera more than Sonar, creating a more varied and textured line up. 

I think last year was one of the slowest selling Primaveras in a while. Again, I think the line up didn't make people go "Wow!" and since it has become popular for a lot of foreign people now, you need to have a bit of a Wow effect to get people to book flights at a busy time of the year and expensive time too. And it was the 15th anniversary too so one was hoping for a big bang of names.

So this year my theory is that they're going to make it big. They've been calling it #Primaveraallstars since October/November. Why the hyperbole? It would be odd to expend so much on a name like that and then just do OK with the line up. If it is something big, does it mean it's getting big names, some of which have never played before or is it like they are  getting big and popular names from Primavera's past, or both? 

I like how EVERY year people go "Radiohead has to play" and they don't. They played Coachella in 2012 and people thought "This must be the year". However, that seemed a one off, more likely the fact that the Coachella organisers did their usual thing of waving a big, fat, juicy cheque at a band they really want and see if they bite. BBK got them that year. Primavera feels like a more suitable festival environment but Primavera clashed with their 2012 US tour. They just announced a new company this week, which music news sites say is their way of launching a new album and a sign that one is imminent. So I'd like to dream that they did it now and will drop an album around the time of Primavera and just have a big bang announcement. Or it could all be a continuation of a Primavera Waiting for Godot. 

We shall see :)

The date of last years line up announcement (Jan 21st) was confirmed 9 days prior, on Jan 12th.

If they're sticking to a similar schedule, they should announce the date tomorrow, and it would probably be the 20th.

Although I'd kind of hope that with the amount Gabi has been tweeting about it, they'll announce it sooner, and I'd rather them just post it than put it in a game or something again.

Edited by weston24