Waterproof Jacket / Poncho?

ManchesterGlasto

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always sworn by a decent poncho (only way I survived 07) and still do, but the one weakness has always been where it rests on my shoulders or touches any skin, water or condensation always comes through given enough time unless I'm wearing something like a wool poncho underneath.

Not this year...umbrella hat, successfully tested at a local festival and doubles as a portable sunshade, because obviously it's going to be glorious.

It's not for anyone who cares what other people think!

The Clas Ohlson ones join at the sides with poppers so I can't imagine them keeping the rain out (opened the pack before bed last night)

Like Math125 says, they pretty much all do. That Clas Ohlson one looks very much like ones my girlfriend picked up 3 years ago - it does a surprisingly good job but is very thin, so if anyone goes near it with a cigarette it'll get a hole in it. Packs away very small though - I slip it in a pocket for those days when it's supposed to be dry.

Like Math125 says, they pretty much all do. That Clas Ohlson one looks very much like ones my girlfriend picked up 3 years ago - it does a surprisingly good job but is very thin, so if anyone goes near it with a cigarette it'll get a hole in it. Packs away very small though - I slip it in a pocket for those days when it's supposed to be dry.

My army one does too and it's fine.

Sorry for double post. For some reason the quotes didn't work in my first post.

Cheers guys. I suspect I am just thinking things through too much.

Cigarettes will be a problem as yes, they are quite thin, but the material they are made from is good for run off and I doubt anyone would be smoking in the 'biblical' rain! I intend to double it up with a light jacket anyhow that seems to be a good combo. Will be on the lookout for an army style poncho for next year. We have a few decent army surplus shops nearby.

My bf had an Orange (phone company) poncho and it's kept him dry for several years so I got myself one in Decathlon and it was brilliant because I always got wet cuffs with my coat but you can keep you arms & bad inside, would fully recommend

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/purple-glenarm-100-poncho-id_8154950.html

For top half waterproofs I've never had better than some generic, tourist, sold on the same shelf as warning triangles, headlight deflectors, pop up cups, things you may have forgotten/may be useful etc, type display at some service station somewhere.

Horribly sweaty, uncool and unbreathable but water bounced off it and it had an elasticated hood, a zip and pop studs. About £3-4.99 or something stupid around 2004 and it finally gave out during Bill Bailey in 2007 when a tiny, tiny, tiny little tear near one of the pop studs led to me getting soaked, just through that tiny little hole.

I've never found anything similar since.

Those army ponchos sound ideal but look bulky.

Nothing beats a Royal Mail 1999 issue jacket. Made for the most severe weather. Totally uncool though.

I also have an army poncho which is what i tend to take instead these days.

hmmm, my dad is a postman, but he always moans about the waterproofs!

Ordered one of these and it arrived today:

http://www.heinnie.com/snugpak-enhanced-patrol-poncho

First impressions very good. Light and very roomy with good sleeves. I decided to pay a bit more for a breathable one after cooking in the cheap ones in the past. Having splashed out I'm now very confident that there is no chance of r**n.

Ok. Here's an alternative view, I bought a German Army poncho on site in 07, as my kagoul just gave up in the unrelentinf rain, As I'm 5' 2" it dragged on the ground and got covered in mud, which spread up my arse whenever I went to the loo. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Ordered one of these and it arrived today:

http://www.heinnie.com/snugpak-enhanced-patrol-poncho

First impressions very good. Light and very roomy with good sleeves. I decided to pay a bit more for a breathable one after cooking in the cheap ones in the past. Having splashed out I'm now very confident that there is no chance of r**n.

Ouch.. £30

I need to get two one for me and the Mrs, dont really want to shell out £60