Camp spots on a Thursday

Badlands

Hello folks.

There's a very good chance that I may be turning up on the Thursday this year. Quite frankly, I'm getting tired of the Tuesday overnight drive and the queue that goes on for hours with no supervision. The idea of trimming it down to 4 days, turning up fresh on the Thursday really appeals to me.

Offset by that however is the camping scenario. I'm a creature of habit, having camped in Dairy every time practically. I love the closeness to the Park, and the fact its a nice gentle stroll to my favourite parts. Even having Arcadia next door didn't dampen my love for the place.

So I'm looking for anecdotes, suggestions and advice on an alternative that I can get a decent sized tent into. How's the spots near Silver Hayes (ugh!)? Can you squeeze into South Park 1 or 2? How about Hitchin and Lime Kiln?

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Cheers y'all.

Depends to an extent what you mean by decent sized, but if you're prepared to compromise on location then you'll find somewhere to pitch without too many difficulties.

I found myself up in Lime Kiln on the Sunday afternoon last year, and was amazed how much space there was between tents (and not just because people had packed up). Cracking view of the festival as well. I suspect that anyone turning up late with anything short of a marquee could've found space for it there. The ground was pretty steep though, and since being evicted from Dragon Field a few years back I've started to appreciate waking up in approximately the same place I started.

For what it's worth, if I was turning up on Thursday then I'd probably try for South Park but would be prepared to change plans - I'd definitely take a moment to talk to the Campsite Stewards just inside the gate as they usually have a good overview of what space is available - but then, I don't think I could bring myself to turn up on the Thursday. If you park up any time from about noon on Wednesday you'll avoid most of the queues and find your day a lot less hassled and your choice a lot wider.

We turn up at lunchtime on the Wednesday these days. No queues and we camp in Pylon (which I realise isn't on your list). Not getting up at stupid o'clock or indeed staying up all night means we start the festival much fresher than when we used to burst our balls trying to get in first thing. Don't feel like we're missing out as before we'd end up setting up and then sleeping a few hours anyway as we were exhausted.

Would hate to miss out on the Wednesday night though. Always been my favourite time of the festival. Tradition is a late afternoon stroll reacquainting ourselves with the place, getting food from one of our favourite stalls, making our way to the Park hill or Flagtopia (or the Stone Circle when it was the highest point at that side) to soak in the views and watch the sunset before seeing where the night takes us. There's that amazing energy and anticipation in the air too.

Thanks for taken the time to answer.

Missing the wednesday will be weird but it's a no brainer this year, I've also got real life stuff getting in the way of going for the full 5 days. I've just primed my mates about it and they're still mad keen to do the tuesday night drive so I might try and convince them to put my tent up for me on Wednesday.

My OH isn't going this year so I'm going to start looking at smaller tents. I'll slum it in a pop up if needs be.

I'm quite looking forward to being fresher on the Sunday. Normally I'm just an absolute mess by then. A few years ago I'd have baulked at the idea of not doing the Wednesday, I guess it must be a sign of getting older.

Thanks for taken the time to answer.

Missing the wednesday will be weird but it's a no brainer this year, I've also got real life stuff getting in the way of going for the full 5 days. I've just primed my mates about it and they're still mad keen to do the tuesday night drive so I might try and convince them to put my tent up for me on Wednesday.

My OH isn't going this year so I'm going to start looking at smaller tents. I'll slum it in a pop up if needs be.

I'm quite looking forward to being fresher on the Sunday. Normally I'm just an absolute mess by then. A few years ago I'd have baulked at the idea of not doing the Wednesday, I guess it must be a sign of getting older.

If your mates are going earlier defo try and get them to put up your tent a few years ago we were getting in first thing and some of the gang were getting in late on wed and you just can't keep space so now if we all want to camp together ate late arrivals get their tents to us we put them up and that's the only way to keep everyone together.