Boomtown Festival 2015

Paul ™

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Flag!

I aim to arrive quite early too, but I remember last time having a 2 to 3 hour queue so will look out for the flag.

Driving from Bournemouth if anyone needs a lift, although I may have to leave on Sunday afternoon rather than Monday morning

Thanks mate :) and nice flag!

Yea, my coach will be getting in 2PM Thursday and I'm game to help out.

How do you guys normally organise camps?

Might be best to exchange mobiles for the day and work out when people are arriving?

I camped in Trenchtown, on the hill by the magic carpet last year in a bed of nettles after we got moved from our first spot

Hoping for better luck this year :D

Oh god I think I remember pointing and laughing at your tent sorry mate!

I don't reckon it'll fill up too quickly there - it's a mostly young and lively crowd so the bowl and hillside fill before the rest but with the trenchtown shift this year oldtown will be more appealing. Pretty sure the back half never filled up last year so there's plenty of hope. Coach people come in the entrance by the campsite so will be easy as

Sure we can arrange a few mobile number PM's 

Time to start weather watching? Looks like an improvement in the weather coming this weekend and into next week so good for the build at least. Hope (springs eternal) it sticks around for the fest B)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633858

haha good man :)

Yeah it's looking about 75% chance of being just fine and dandy at the moment with only the risk of a light shower at some point. It wobbled a bit over the last few days though so not nailed down yet and a week to go strictly

They have only released the Lion's Den. Apparently that's rare, as they don't normally give you the set times until you get there. And you have to pay for them, which is pretty naughty of them. Just a money making scam as they know everyone will have to buy a programme despite having already shelled out £150+ on a ticket.

1436186980-lions-den-times.jpg

Edited by StLewi

They have only released the Lion's Den. Apparently that's rare, as they don't normally give you the set times until you get there.

nah, that's not right. They did reveal it last year beforehand, but not the year before.

Anyway, it was the Lion's Den line-up I was wanting, so thanks. :) .... the missus needs to be home early on the Monday, but I want to see Barrington Levy, so that's a bit of a problem ... then again, Levy's failed to show at Boomtown twice before and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same again this time. I'll be happy to tootle off after Mikel Rose if he's not going to show, and I guess I'll be able to find that out sometime on the Sunday if not before.

Ah, gotya. Hopefully they'll release the main ones. Otherwise we'll have to plan once we arrive, which may not be the best time!

Stephen Marley followed by Rodigan is an awesome way to start a festival. Such a good idea to have a 'headliner' to open a stage. I just hope I'm still standing for Proteje and, of course, Alborosie. 

Ah, gotya. Hopefully they'll release the main ones. Otherwise we'll have to plan once we arrive, which may not be the best time!

Stephen Marley followed by Rodigan is an awesome way to start a festival. Such a good idea to have a 'headliner' to open a stage. I just hope I'm still standing for Proteje and, of course, Alborosie. 

I absolutely hate Rodigan as a "live" act (which is mostly just him showing off his special-cuts, "look at me, they all name check me". w*nker!) ... despite falling in love with reggae in the 70s via listening to his Capital Radio shows. ... tho I guess I might still stay and see it, as it's probably one of the few acts that'll have a big crowd.

The next most-wanted for me to see on there is YT - I love his albums, but haven't yet got round to seeing him.

The thing that always gets me at Boomtown is how few of the attendees seem to know even the most-major reggae tunes. When Julian Marley played a couple of years ago every other song was a Bob song, and looking at the crowd you could see huge numbers which weren't even familiar with them, and it was much the same last year with The Wailers too. Maybe it'll be better this year.

Edited by eFestivals

I've never seen Rodigan, but he does look a little annoying live. I don't think he DJs any more, just shouts down the mic. But he'll get the crowd going.

I'm 30 and this will be my first Boomtown. I've heard it's a fairly young crowd, and most go for the drum and bass stuff. I don't think reggae is very big over here any more. I went to see Chronixx at Glastonbury and hardly anyone knew any of his stuff. I'm guessing Stephen will do a lot of Marley songs. Ky-Mani did when I saw him - it's guaranteed to please the crowd.

Reggae seems to be pretty popular over in the States right now. There are a lot of bands constantly touring, but a lot don't make it over to Europe.

Edited by StLewi

I've been waiting 8 years to see Stephen again ... I just can't bloody wait. :D

I couldn't tell you were excited :lol: love it :D

It's weird with the reggae side, everyone seems to kinda love it but they know very little as you say. it's just not had the popular impact here and even as a fan I'm painfully aware my knowledge is seriously limited as there's so little exposure

SM is a must, gotta give rodigan a chance to see if he's behaving or showing off then most excited about katchafire on the lion's den. might go and see mungo's hifi again cos always good and beats the home-stereo sound levels at the blues

I'm guessing Stephen will do a lot of Marley songs.

he's got plenty of his own, from his own 2 albums, plus all of the other stuff he's done with his brothers (where he's often the main vocalist) - a huge amount, as he's been the producer of almost all of it.

Tho I do remember he played Buffalo Soldier when I saw him at Glastonbury years ago. I'm not sure there was much more of Bob's stuff tho, as i didn't know anything of Stephen's back then and as far as i recall most of it was unfamiliar.

I couldn't tell you were excited :lol: love it :D

It's weird with the reggae side, everyone seems to kinda love it but they know very little as you say. it's just not had the popular impact here and even as a fan I'm painfully aware my knowledge is seriously limited as there's so little exposure

SM is a must, gotta give rodigan a chance to see if he's behaving or showing off then most excited about katchafire on the lion's den. might go and see mungo's hifi again cos always good and beats the home-stereo sound levels at the blues

I'm a huge reggae fan - tho disconnected from any 'scene' - and go out out of my way to find new stuff, but even I know how big the gaps are in my knowledge. For example, i've only become aware of Protoje in the last month or so, after a press release for his autumn tour dropped into my inbox. I've downloaded some of his stuff to check out but haven't done it yet - so I must get on the case quick, as I hadn't noticed him on the bill until StLewi just mentioned him. I'm not much aware of Alborosie either, tho I've had some of his stuff for a while (and again, not given it a serious listen yet).

I've not seen Katchafire either ... I went to see them at The Gully at Glasto a few years ago, but ended up having to bugger off quick (just as they started) after some unwanted hassle from some over-officious security w*nkers.

I'll defo be there for Mungos, as that's who's backing YT (find his albums if you've not got them - they're great!).

I might cos and check out Shy FX just to check his face (which I don't know) ... he was camped just by me at WOMAD a week ago, as the kids playing footie on the track had been having a kickabout with him, and then spent the rest of the weekend talking about it cos he was 'famous'. :lol:

But Stephen is the real gem there this year. Don't miss him, he's the best Marley kid by far.

oh, make sure you check out Babilondon on the Hidden Woods Stage. I saw them last summer and thought they were great - and it was me who flagged them up to Boomtown, too.

Check this out, it's fab. :)

Also on hidden woods is Friendly Fire Band (who I've not seen by a friend has mentioned they're decent), Horseman (who does loads of stuff with Holly Cook & Prince Fatty, and his own album is great), plus of course the legend that is Earl 'yeah yeah' Gateshead.

Edited by eFestivals

Might as well flag up some others I can recommend, too (not necessarily reggae) ....

Gogol Bordello, Town Centre

Babyhead, Town Centre - Bristol legends (who do Boomtown every year).

The Beat, Town Centre - 100% effort every time, they never bore me

Amadou & Miriam, Old Mines

Dreadzone, Old Mines - of course

John  Fairhourst, Old Mines - for a bit of loud blues/rock.

Songhoy Blues

RDF, Chinatown - dirty old skool new age traveller's band

System 7, Psychedelic Forest - Steve Hillage, say no more

Pronghorn, Rusty Spurs

Showhawk Duo, Rusty Spurs - they do fantastic stuff with guitars (and will have you singing Bo Rap, too)

What can you recommend?

My must see's are;

Flogging Molly - town centre
John Butler Trio - old mines

Less Than Jake - town centre

The Lagan - devils kicks

The Rumjacks - devils kicks

Gogol Bordello - town centre

Sheelanagig - Jolly Dodger

Plus a few others I wouldn't mind seeing. These are the ones I'd be annoyed at missing though.