Galtres Festival destroy Traders Lives

adamscae

This is so frustrating it makes my blood boil ! Basically he can go around saying what he wants and any response we make as traders owed our takings and he threatens libel !

Infuriating and unfair !

I've been told by twitter to stop too ! I'm telling truth that is all !!!!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of interest - if this is a different company (and I have no reason to believe that it is not) why does the Parklands festival refer to "last year we used G-CARDS" if this is the first year the festival has existed?

The website also makes reference to "when we first started in 2005"? and "our 11th year"

How is it possible that they are citing this festival as the same as the previous one?

Edited by stuwilky

eFestivals has come under pressure from James Houston, about some of the content posted on here - which he's claiming as libellous. I suspect that similar might have gone on with newspaper comments.

The difficulty with libel is that, ultimately, what is libellous and what isn't is decided by a judge, and a publisher has to take a view on what a judge might conclude. It's far from an easy line to steer.

In case you're not aware, both the writer of some words and its publisher - together, or individually - can be sued by someone for libel, so it would be a mistake for any poster here to think that their public anonymity here via a non-revealing username protects them from comeback from what they've posted.

I'm very happy for people to expose what has happened via the posting of facts and opinions here, but please do remember to keep within what is fair and reasonable (what might be reasonably concluded by anyone), rather than make unsubstantiated allegations or stretch the truth. That way, James Houston isn't able to shut down debate or bad publicity.

Out of respect for you, and that alone, I'll back off from my interest in this situation. If that bloke wants my details then please give them to him. Personally I have absolutely no fear. However, I now recognise that I may be making you and this site vulnerable. This is not a road I want to go down so will not add to the debate any further on this site.

I'm the same I don't want to cause this fab site any difficulties !

I hope that what I comment is fair and appropriate ! I'm sure it is !

I've been emailed my final warning from Twitter re : harassment !

Laughable really if wasn't so serious !

As long as you're trying to be within fair comment, that's all anyone can do. :)

It work like this....

If I have a complaint, it has to be a complaint about specific words, which I then have to make a judgement about and perhaps remove, to cover myself legally as 'publisher'. If I choose to leave it in place, then I'm open to legal comeback (tho whether it's libel or defamation is still decided by a judge, if it's pursued legally).

For any individual poster, they're liable for their words from the moment they post them.

(FYI: there are currently no words here about this issue which I've had a complaint about, or user details that have been requested from me, so as far as I'm aware, there's no reason for anyone to have concerns - tho I can only say what i know about.)

These are worth remembering, but as long as you're fair and reasonable no one should have any reason to worry. :)

Empty threats really. He can't stop this appalling behaviour just by changing the name of the festival to Parklands or Woodlands. The facts are that James Houston had been making big losses for years. Before the 2014 festival meltdown accounts show the company was over a quarter of a million in debt:

https://www.zaubacorp.com/pdf_report/Prod224_0007_07520139_20130930__07f7bd7a69

Edited by JosefS

It's over 40 traders ! I'm not too afraid to speak out I'm sick of his threats to be honest ! I've been blocked on Twitter and facebook and Twitter has threatened to close my account as I'm harassing james houston apparently ! How can something be libellous if the truth ????

How can something be libellous if the truth ????

It depends on what that "truth" is. What you might say is "the truth" might be disputed by a judge in a court, and it's the view of that judge which would count..

For example, there's been claims of "theft". While I find it very hard to see it other than theft myself, that claim might be rejected on the basis of company law which requires that all creditors are treated equally.

Of course, nothing of what company law might say changes the moral aspect of things in regard to the traders money have been taken from them, but it does provide a reason for what has happened that Houston could claim was outside of his control (and in fact, this is exactly what he's doing).

It stinks because we all know that (at best) it's Houston's choices and incompetence has brought this about, and he's hiding behind those laws. But the law is the law, and we have to abide by it or risk a penalty of some sort.

It does stink !!! And to me it's plain black and white !

That's exactly how I feel about it.

If I was one of those traders I would absolutely feel as tho Houston had stolen from me, because morally he has done. But in law it quite possibly wouldn't class as theft.

Careful wording allows a lot to be said. You just have to be careful how you say it. :)

So much propaganda in papers and on website this really is a sham situation with us not able to give our real side of story ! Very frustrating it makes my blood boil !

Not all traders invited back or returning and the list he has on website are traders who recieved their takings last year anyway FFs !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

All is ready for this year festival. Bands, delicious local food, cider, sunshine. and 120 K thrown in the bin, few people out of business and bad taste in the mouth for all festival attenders in 2014 that were robbed by James Houston and organisers. i can't continue with my business normally after 10 years on the festival circuit. With money that was stolen, I supposed to pay rent for 4-5 festivals this year. But this will not happened as I have no cash. I am not only myself, I have a boy of 4, and little girl just over 1 year old. Our cash is with James Houston.

I know how you feel ! I've had to cancel 2 festivals this year that I've done for the past 5 years !

It all stinks ! And to make matters worse the latest report from liquidators shows that on 24 th aug whilst event was still on he paid back money owing to trustees friends etc !

Our takings should of been seperate and not used to pay his debts !!!

The audacity and contempt for us is unbelievable ! I'd like to know all these caterers they have attending though as good luck to them ! They'll need it !

I have just read this thread and feel so sorry for the traders. Galtres (or whatever it is now) is very local to us and we were thinking of giving it a go this year, but I think now we shall be giving it a wide berth. Interestingly my husband is a bus driver and has heard that the company used as a shuttle bus service for the festival is also out of pocket, although whether that is genuinely true or not I cannot say. Sounds like a very sad state of affairs all round.

From previous years there are many traders unpaid too. James Houston using Galtres to steal money from traders and support his ale/beer festivals. But he manage to get away as many traders were not in the position to press charges against him. This time more than 120 K has been stolen, so police investigation against James Houston is ongoing. New website for Galtres festival is filled with lies just to create an atmosphere for a new event to be lunched. Many people on the board to stop this year festival and return stolen money to poor traders!

Pop up gazebo

Can you email me privately at valmorgan1@btinternet .com please

I'm owed over £5000 in takings ! Why does he even assume we will just go away quietly and let him get away with it ! The fact he uses the system to try and do this is all the more appalling

Interestingly

...Hugh Cornwell have been announced to play this year

...and Hugh Cornwell is playing Bearded Theory

...and The Talks are playing Bearded Theory

...and The Talks played Galtres last year

...and I was told by one of The Talks that they didnt get paid

... maybe they will meet up back stage ^_^

just thinking out loud :D