No room in family camping?

Guest Nina Mac

Hi! This will be my first Glasto. Will be going with a 5 year old and two 3 year olds! (I know.....talk about in at the deep end!) Really looking forward to it, it's going to be an amazing experience for the kids. One thing that is slightly bothering me though is the comments I have read about how fast the family camping areas fill up. A lot of people have been saying that by wednesday afternoon they are basically full. As we are not arriving until Thursday lunch time I am worried that we might not get a space. Has anyone had any experience of this?? Surely with such young children we would not have to camp amoung people who are drinking and being noisy during the night? Please help with any info you can give me on this! Put an end to my stressing lol

hi nina,

Me n the wife are in the same position as you, we've got 7 and 5 year old girls. I don't wanna be to rude, but i think you'll have to get there earlier, one way or another. It's first come first served. So try n dig deep and shuffle things around to arrive on weds, if you can't you'll have to settle for wicket area's campsites.

Oh no. We're flying from northern ireland so cant come any earlier. I didn't realise they would fill up so quickly. So you think just head straight to wicket ground and hope for the best? I would just be worried the kids might get scared if it's really noisy at night. they haven't been to a festival before.

Hi! This will be my first Glasto. Will be going with a 5 year old and two 3 year olds! (I know.....talk about in at the deep end!) Really looking forward to it, it's going to be an amazing experience for the kids. One thing that is slightly bothering me though is the comments I have read about how fast the family camping areas fill up. A lot of people have been saying that by wednesday afternoon they are basically full. As we are not arriving until Thursday lunch time I am worried that we might not get a space. Has anyone had any experience of this?? Surely with such young children we would not have to camp amoung people who are drinking and being noisy during the night? Please help with any info you can give me on this! Put an end to my stressing lol

Wicket Ground family camping should be fine.

Ask stewards for that once you've got through the gates. Or - even better - yellow shirted camp site crew.

Since Wicket was first designated as family, it has had loads of space, even after the initial rush. It's fenced and staffed, so you can let kids have a runaround at breakfast without worrying.

Thanks for the info everyone. Pie and a Pint I understand what festival campsites are like. Im usually one of "THESE" people you speak of! This is my first experience of bringing kids, just after a little help that is all. I would not let my stress transfer to my children. I just envisaged hanging out at the tent, possibly meeting other families and kids there. Would just be a different experience for us all surrounded by people partying and off their heads. But my fault for not realising that we needed to arrive on wed!

We got there Weds aft in 09 and the main family camping area was completely full - the other one past the Pyramid had lots of room but I would guess filled up by Weds evening. Best bet is not to worry but when you arrive ask a few stewards where is quieter and has some space. I would think the outer campsites are usually quieter anyway. Pre-children we always camped on the field facing the pyramid and to be honest never found it that noisy at night anyway - talking and chattering maybe - unless I was so pooped I slept through anything. Kids can sleep through most things when they're pooped enough too id imagine! when we pitched up in 09 we put the tent quite central and as the tents grew around us it became quite hard lifting the 3 wheeler over the guy ropes etc to get to the tent esp in the evening so if I had a choice id go for somewhere near-ish a walkway if poss.

I will be arriving Wednesday morning and hopefully joining the queue to get in around 6am. Hopefully this will mean I get a pitch in Cockmill Meadow again. This year my wife and child will not make it down until Thursday but hope this will not prevent me pitching in the Family Field despite me being on my own on arrival.

Also, I intend to head for the Blue Car Parks on the East side of the site again, is this really the best route into Cockmill Meadow? The Hill of Death into Gate C pulling trolley and laden with tent and rucksack on my back is going to be a challenge by myself.

Cockmill meadow will be full by the time you arrive.

Stayed in wicket ground in 2010 there was loads of space all weekend. Seems to be more fenced off with stewards on the entrances unlike Cockmill meadow which ends up a free for all. Think 2010 was the first year wicket ground was family camping so may be a bit busier now but i'm sure there will be space so long as your not trying to pitch a massive tent.

As Paulo says head straight for Wicket, we stayed there in 2010 and there was loads of space all weekend, I've never seen such an empty campsite at glastonbury. Nice and quiet too, clean toilets(without massive queues) and clean the field was immaculate on Monday morning.

Hi

Like yourselves we come over from NI and have been doing so since 2005.

The children have always enjoyed it and you will get a space. :-) so try not to stress

Dont go too close to the paths as it can get splashy if wet and muddy

I usually try to get close to a back fence as a landmark and for a wee bit of peace

enjoy !!