Freezing cans of beer to use as ice packs

Guest gibbin82

As the thread title has anyone frozen their cans of beer to use as ice packs?, if anyone has I wondered does it ruin the beer or do the cans explode in the freezer or when thawing out? Any feedback appreciated as it is something I am considering doing this year if it works.

Thanks for the feedback, I can understand it might affect the flavour but don't see how it makes it go flat as surely the CO2 will not be able to escape and should put the fizz back into the cans when they thaw out. Might do a bit of experimenting this week, prepare for a exploding beer ruined my freezer thread.

Some brands burst, some never do. Interesting fact. There is probably a website somewhere about it.

I use frozen water which I take in and then just stick cans under the groundsheet, works surprisingly well at keeping beer cool, even in cold years.

Ive normally just taken the bag out of the box and bunged it straight in the freezer, it doesn't seem to expand too much, it does take a full day to freeze. But I last did it for kendal calling last summer and had perfectly chilled wine on the Sunday after arriving on Thursday, and kept food and other drink chilled.

Defo worth doing

As said above with a can of larger the can will often explode when freezing and if not the beer will be flat when it defrosts.

You can, however freeze cans of bitter that have widgets (like Boddingtons or John Smiths) this is because the gas stored in the widget