• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking from past experience:

Biffy = amazing

Chvrches = amazing

White Lies = Really Good

Editors = Really Good

Hadouken! = Pretty Good (performance wise pretty bad but the crowd's are always amazing so you have a good time)

Disclosure = Alright (it was only a dj set though so I'm not sure if their live set is any different)

City and Colour = Alright

Bastille = bad

Theme Park = bad

Charli XCX = bad

Magnetic Man = really good

And So I Watch You From Afar = Outstandingly good

Spector = meh

Findlay = meh

and that's everyone I've seen on the line up I think

Haven't seen that many but..

Foals - Amazing, definitely a must see

Jake Bugg - Alright, wouldn't be bothered about seeing again though

Findlay - Decent, energetic, if you like her music, I'd recommend her

Hadouken - I love them, but they're pretty shite live, the bass is awful and James is quite bad singing live, I'll give them a miss if someone else I want to see is on

Yeah but usually if a band is poor live, people will say they were poor, particularly on here where a lot of people come across as being quite neutral regarding how good someone is live. For example Arctic Monkeys fangirls (best example) will all claim they're brilliant live, even if Alex sounded like complete shit. If you get me?

Swim Deep - good but lack energy

Green Day - repetitive

Spector - hit and miss

White lies - great in a tent

Twin Atlantic - just above average

Peace - great

Frank turner - awesome

Jake bugg - a bit dull can be better depending on crowd

Deftones - Can be great, but if the sounds poor and/or they don't have a crowd their songs can just merge into one another

Frank Turner - Generally great, and has been brilliant when working a main stage sized crowd

Skindred - Excellent. I've barely listened to them on record, but seen them live twice and if you have any vague interest in their music are definitely worth seeing

Fidlar - Good. Last year on FR the crowd was mental down the front and it was definitely fun to watch. Not the tightest of live bands from my memory, but that's not what they're about

Deap Vally - Good. I enjoyed them last year on FR, but it was pretty quiet down towards the front. They were accomplished live performers though.

Surfer Blood - Average. Nothing stood out either way from seeing them in R1 a few years ago.

Foals - Generally great. Though I'm a big fan of their music. Main stage at Field Day in 2008 was the first time I saw them, and that made me a fan.

White Lies - Good to average. Nothing flashy, but nothing bad to say about them.

Brand New - Would be excellent, but we're not talking about an academy sized show here. Main stage in 09 they were poor - and I say that as a massive fan. Would love it if they were much better this year, but I'm not all that hopeful.

Mallory Knox - Good to average. Though that's based on a 500 capacity venue. No idea which way they'd go being on the mainstage.

British Sea Power - Good. I've never been wowed by a BSP show, but I've always felt they have the capability to be outstanding.

Balthazar - Good. Saw them earlier this week supporting Villagers, and although nothing in particular stands out, they put on an engaging

performance.

Biffy Clyro - Generally great, and the last time I saw them was 3 years ago. I imagine they'll have polished up their live act even more since and I'm expecting them to be one of the highlights of the weekend.

Nine Inch Nails - Excellent. I travelled round Europe to see them after seeing their 07 show, and they don't disappoint. Only caveat is if Trent is messing about with the songs too much - or does a set which doesn't engage the crowd (see Sonisphere 09)

Fall Out Boy - Good to average. They're fun, but I've seen them on festival main stages a few times, and it's been far to easy to lose interest.

Editors - Generally great. Not seen the put on a bad show, but never been completely blown away.

We Are The In Crowd - Good. Though hopefully won't be swallowed up on the main stage.

Edited by DaveElNino

Green Day - 5/5. Awesome, crowd interaction makes them a hell of a lot of fun.

Deftones - 5/5. I love this band so much and their live performance is unreal.

BMTH - 3/5. I like them on record but live they can be sloppy, and the crowd often sucks.

Murkage - 4/5. Imagine a British Odd Future, but older, more mature, and better.

Biffy - 5/5. Amazing live. No words, just go.

Pure Love - 4/5. Good, but don't expect a new fav band.

I've seen very little this year.

System Of A Down -5/5- Despite obvious band tension they're still amazing live. Not as heavy as they used to be but they still sound brilliant and create an awesome atmosphere.

Deftones -5/5- Again an amazing live band, though unfortunately the Reading/Leeds crowd will probably be disinterested like they were in 2011, due mainly to the fact they are simply wrong.

Frank Turner -4/5- A great sing along act.

Bring Me The Horizon -3/5- If you like moshpits then they'll get them, though as others have said Sykes' vocals are a bit ropey.

New Found Glory -4/5- Don't really know much of their material but they were surprisingly good in 2011.

Skindred -5/5- It's Skindred, they seem to have a slipknot style quality when performing live, with the added bonus of some humor. This could definitely be a surprising set for anyone who has not seen them before.

The Blackout -3/5- Can be great but can equally be a bit boring. Also one of the front men can come across as very annoying.

Biffy Clyro -5/5- Pretty much never fail to amaze me. Even after what I considered to be a pretty average album they still managed to blow me away again on their arena tour this year despite playing mostly songs from it.

City And Colour -2/5- Might be a bit harsh but I found them pretty boring.

Biffy Clyro - Great 2 times i've seen them, were a bit meh at t in the park 2010

Editors - were not great, werent bad either, supporting muse at old trafford, i think it was 2010

Azealia Banks - dreadful, seen on the nme tour and at leeds last year

Tribes: The faster paced songs work well live, the slower ones not so, seen at y-not 2011, Nme tour 2012? and supporting the courteeners

Spector: Hit and miss, got some good energy however i've seen them now 5 times and 2 of those were weak performances, at parklife festival last year and at the deaf institute last week, another point to mention is that the deaf institute was a free gig and there were only 60 people there, it was dead

Pure love: Terrible, at dot to dot last year, such a self induldgent show going into the crowd and singing the whole set there

Ghostpoet: was a bit boring to be honest at parklife last year

Frank Turner: Enjoyable enough, gets a bit repetitive though and i've only seen him 2 times from memory

Fidlar: Amazing energy, at Bi Nuu in berlin, great atmosphere

Sub focus - essentially a dj playing a cd with an annoying mc, some club in york called tokyo i think, parklife festival

Fenech Soler - pretty good when i saw them at Kendal 2011, was dead though as everyone else was at blondie

Crystal Fighters: Were great at Y-not 2010, really good energy mixed with an oddball of a frontman, went to see them a few times over a couple of years at in the city festival, and two gigs in manchester where they gradually got tamer and tamer

Eminem: T in the park. enjoyed it at the time, plenty of a sing a long moments, however he is essentially miming most of it, plus he was an hour late.

Chase + status: Good atmosphere and energy, however i dont understand their "live show" the backing track is the primary feature on most songs

White Lies: Kings of leon support and nme tour, pretty good to be honest despite not being a great fan

Twin Atlantic: Good energy and enjoyed their manchester ritz gig, despite not being a huge fan

Alt-j: Great live at parklife last year and supporting 2DCC in berlin last year

Jake Bug: Was alright last year at dot to dot, i imagine i'd enjoy him more now knowing more of his songs

Palma violets: Enjoyed them at leeds last year, prefer them live than on record

Themepark: The castle hotel in manchester in 2011 i think, wasnt great but was one of their first gigs, i expect them to have improved

Magnetic Man - Got some good songs, had a good old sweaty time at their set on the nme tour

Willy Moon- Dreadful, just dreadful

Edited by joshi

Green Day - great fun and very energetic live...but BJA seems to hhink he is Freddy Mercury and his 'HEYYYOOOS' get really annoying after a while.

BMTH - great fun again. 2011 they were brilliant.

New Found Glory - average. Probably a lot of fun for a bit of a sing along, but in 2011 i didnt know any of their songs so got a bit bored after a while.

The Blackout - Enjoyable enough band if there isn't anything else on.

Lower than Atlantis - dunno how they'll be on the main stage but they've been great fun in small venues and were awesome in the FR last year. Great crowd interaction.

Mallory Knox - same as LTA. been very good in small venues but not sure how they'll fare on the main stage.

Hadouken! - had a lot of fun in the tent last year. But on the main stage, there wont be quite the same atmosphere and the singer wasn't all that.

Shikari - i love Shikari live but there is no way i will watch dance remixes of their songs over Biffy.

Green Day - Absolutely fantastic live; great energy and crowd interaction. Their secret set at Reading last year was probably the highlight of my weekend.

Deftones - Saw them at Brixton earlier this year and it was one of the most intense live performances I've ever seen; incredibly tight band and Chino interacted with the audience really well. On the flipside however seeing them at Reading 2011 was lacklustre, I think mainly due poor mixing and a disinterested crowd; I reckon if you get up front for this year you'll have a really great time.

Bring Me the Horizon - Was a lot of fun at Reading 2011 but we're pretty sloppy performance-wise. However I have some friends who went and saw them at KOKO quite recently and they said they've really tightened up so hopefully they should be a lot better.

Skrillex - Saw him at Brixton last year; absolutely incredible. A wonderfully visceral audio/visual overload; even if you don't like his music that much you will probably enjoy it a lot live.

Sub Focus - It's been a while since I last saw him (supporting Pendulum at Wembley in 2010) but he was absolutely fantastic; really got the crowd going. If you're not up for who else is on I'd highly recommend him.

Alkaine Trio - The worst band I have ever seen perform live. When I saw them at Roundhouse they just stood absolutely stationary and played with almost no passion whatsoever. The only gig I've been to where I've left early because of how dissatisfied I've been.

The Computers - One of the most fun and energetic bands you will ever see; their frontman puts on one of the most entertaining shows you could ever ask for. I have left gigs where I've paid four times more than what I would to see these guys and had less of a good time. The last time I saw them was at a Rough Trade in-store where the lead singer ran around a group of girls wrapping his mic lead around them until they were tied together and also picked up one of my friends and started swinging him around in his arms. If you don't see them at Reading try and see them at Barfly on 1st July; you will not regret it.

Brand New - Saw them at Roundhouse last year and they were absolutely mindblowing; however I'm not too sure how they'll translate on Main Stage. If you're a fan definitely go and see them.

The Blackout - When I saw them supporting My Chemical Romance they were actually quite fun; if there isn't anyone else on they might be worth a watch.

Magnetic Man - Saw them on the NME Awards Tour in 2011 and they were a lot of fun; definitely go and see them if no one else takes your fancy.

Biffy Clyro - Seen them twice and they were absolutely great both times. This will be a landmark performance for them so definitely go.

Nine Inch Nails - Their performance at the O2 was the first gig I ever went to and it's probably still the best. Go and you will not regret it.

Hadouken! - Saw them supporting Pendulum at Wembley Arena and they were pretty poor; I can't remember much about it aside from the frontman acting like an absolute moron and throwing his microphone down like an upset toddler at the end of their set. Although I heard they were supposed to be great last year.

City and Colour - I really enjoyed them supporting Biffy Clyro but a lot of my friends thought they were boring. If you like them then definitely see them, if not then I'd give them a miss.

Tribes - Seen them twice and they've been thoroughly enjoyable both times; just really well performed and energetic Suede-y indie rock. Worth a watch.

Gallows - The last time I saw them was when they had Frank as a singer so I'm not sure how far my testimony can count but they were really enjoyable; I've heard Wade puts on a great show too.

And So I Watch You from Afar - Probably up there with NIN for being the best live band I've ever seen. Heavy, beautiful and uplifting all at the same time; miss at your own peril.

Crossfaith - I haven't seen them personally but a few of my friends recently saw them supporting Bring Me the Horizon at KOKO and said they were surprisingly good. Not a band that you're going to praise for their artistic merit but might be a good laugh.

Arcane Roots - Really great band and really energetic live show. Should be worth a watch at Reading.

Pure Love - Saw them at Reading last year and found them a bit boring. If you're in to them they might be worth seeing, but come on, Biffy's on.

Oh aye I forgot Ghostpoet, he was really good at Y Not, the bloke to see if you're off your face on drugs.

Didn't include Shikari because their 'Sound System' sounds like a right load of bollocks, I definitely won't be missing Biffy for that, although I fear my friends will. :(

Oh aye I forgot Ghostpoet, he was really good at Y Not, the bloke to see if you're off your face on drugs.

Didn't include Shikari because their 'Sound System' sounds like a right load of bollocks, I definitely won't be missing Biffy for that, although I fear my friends will. :(

Edited by PDAD

From what I've gathered, down to their sarcy comments the day it was announced, it's the "electronic" version of Shikari. Shikari who are already pretty electronic... I remember someone asking if they would play remixes of their original songs, and they said that's pretty much what it is. Doesn't sound that much different, just more wub wub wub I suppose. I'm not fond of the remixes of their songs either, so all Biffy e'rythang :P

I think the thing I've found with Green Day is it's probably best just to watch them once. They have a great live show but when you watch them, in the back of your mind you're thinking 'not this shit again' when they roll out each gimmick.

Edited by dentalplan

I've not seen many, but here's my 2 cents

Chase and Status: 4/5 - just an energy packed show, worth seeing if you like the genre and moshing

Frank Turner: 4/5 - very sing alongy set, always good fun

Alt-J: 2.5/5 - they're just dead on average. Only see if you like the stuff

Jake Bugg 2/5 - Was boring last time I saw him, but could be due to crowd

Twin Atlantic 3/5 - They were okay last year, but nothing that special

Hadouken 3.5/5 - Very energetic, from the crowd and them

Azealia Banks 1/5 - avoid like the plague

Tribes 3/5 - Their live set isn't that bad, quite energetic

Savages 4/5 - You probably won't come out the same

Fidlar 3/5 - inoffensive good fun

Drenge 5/5 - just brilliant

I told someone on twitter a couple weeks back to see NIN over Azealia if they clash because it will probably be one of, if not the, set of the weekend, then somebody else replied with "No, Azealia was the set of the weekend at Leeds 2012 and will blow NIN away this year" ..... Didn't even know what to say, I guess there's no accounting for taste with some people

I told someone on twitter a couple weeks back to see NIN over Azealia if they clash because it will probably be one of, if not the, set of the weekend, then somebody else replied with "No, Azealia was the set of the weekend at Leeds 2012 and will blow NIN away this year" ..... Didn't even know what to say, I guess there's no accounting for taste with some people